• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Love Live! Sunshine!!

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:14 am Reply with quote
I do feel Ike Sunshine is trying too hard to acknowledge fans' love of the original Love Live! and is too afraid to let go. Specifically: too many callbacks. When we should be focusing on the new group's first concert, it's distracting to see a very prominent µ's poster in Chika's room, framed in such a way that we have plenty of time to pick out our favorite idol (hi, Umi). I don't know if it's a calculated move or lack of confidence, but I just want to say to Sunshine, "Let go already! Be your own show!"

Longer term, I will be interested to see if the LLS gambit pays off. Watching Love Live! The School Idol Movie a few weekends back, the appearance of Haro rolling in to top the Sunrise logo popped an interesting analogy into my head: Love Live could well be Sunrise's new Gundam for the next decade, a franchise that while based in the same basic concept each time (mecha or idols), lets them bring in a new cast every couple years and tweak the parameters to keep up with the times.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:19 am Reply with quote
Despite all of the callbacks to the original Love Live! I'm still really enjoying Sunshine!! Hell I haven't even chosen my favorite girl because so far I love them all and I can't for the English dub premier. Very Happy
bhl88

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:32 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
I do feel Ike Sunshine is trying too hard to acknowledge fans' love of the original Love Live! and is too afraid to let go.

Or fans' insecurity about letting go of Muse. Maybe as they get better, they'll slowly strip the references.

AnimeLordLuis wrote:
Despite all of the callbacks to the original Love Live! I'm still really enjoying Sunshine!! Hell I haven't even chosen my favorite girl because so far I love them all and I can't for the English dub premier. Very Happy

Was already ranking them slowly too xD
Yohanne
Dia (got a boost)
Mari
You
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo Dong wrote:
Rather than having an altruistic notion of wanting to save their school from closure, the girls simply want to shine.

Which is the plot of maybe three quarters of the idol anime out there. It's hackneyed and it's been done to death. In the same way, the first three episodes of Sunshine!! take their cues and format largely from the first arc of the original series. I really, badly, want to like the girls and the series on their own merits, but first the show has to get off the rails it's been confined to and find it's own path.

Megiddo wrote:
HaruhiToy wrote:
Somehow the stage backdrop and the lighting and the music just seemed to appear out of thin air...
That seems to be an attribute of these idol shows. Wake Up Girls did the same thing

Is that a joke? Did you just throw out Wake Up Girls without even bothering to watch it in an assumption that it did the same?

I'm thinking yes, HaruhiToy must not have seen WUG - not only did their first live come after several scenes showing the selection of music and the girls practicing... it was on a bare stage and they were wearing their school uniforms! But she's not entirely wrong though. LL-TOS (The Original Series) did make some effort to show and tell where the costumes came from, in Sunshine!! they pretty much just appear from thin air. In LL-TOS, the stage and backdrop were undecorated, in Sunshine!! the decorations appear from thin air. The lighting is a red herring, two girls operating minimal lighting which is obviously going to be present a room/stage stage intended for theatrical productions isn't that much of a stretch. The music, yeah, in both LL series they pretty much appear from thin air. You aren't going to generate performance quality music on a laptop without at least professional grade software.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Following up on my own thoughts... That's long been a gaping hole in LL for me. In WUG and the IDOLM@STER franchises, the music, lyrics, choreography, etc... are all plainly shown as originating with professionals. (Even though Green Leaves is a low rent, third tier agency - it's not without knowledge and experience.) Yet, in LL we're expected to believe that untrained and inexperienced schoolgirls create professional grade songs, performances, and productions with virtually no resources or support.

It strains suspension of disbelief mightily.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:43 pm Reply with quote
bhl88 wrote:
invalidname wrote:
I do feel Ike Sunshine is trying too hard to acknowledge fans' love of the original Love Live! and is too afraid to let go.

Or fans' insecurity about letting go of Muse. Maybe as they get better, they'll slowly strip the references.

I would like to think that's why the character Dia was created. She's like the manifestation of those fans who are stuck with the original generation and thinks there's no way this new team would ever (or even dare to) live up towards µ's. Obviously, this will be the main crux of Sunshine.
Hikaru Suzuhara

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:07 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
Following up on my own thoughts... That's long been a gaping hole in LL for me. In WUG and the IDOLM@STER franchises, the music, lyrics, choreography, etc... are all plainly shown as originating with professionals. (Even though Green Leaves is a low rent, third tier agency - it's not without knowledge and experience.) Yet, in LL we're expected to believe that untrained and inexperienced schoolgirls create professional grade songs, performances, and productions with virtually no resources or support.

It strains suspension of disbelief mightily.
This franchise is pretty frank about what it is. Never once does it expect any viewer with a functioning brain to watch it and think yup this sure is representative of real life. It'd be like reading/watching Kuroko's Basketball and complaining about how you can't suspend your disbelief with a work where they have in universe superpowers when they play the sport.

It's an investment. It's a business. They need to make a profit. It's far easier to take the safe predictable formulaic route. It's easier to present an obviously sunshine, rainbows, and a thick layer of sugar coated optimism view of the Japanese idol business because people want to watch to see the characters succeed, to shine, even though it's not actually realistic in many senses of the word. Positivity sells even if it's not at all indicative of the reality of this sort of work.

This Sunshine anime is in an of itself an advertisement for the songs featured in it. Did you like that song they sung in episode 9? Well you can buy the single right now! You can even buy tickets to see them perform it and other songs like it live! Everything in the show is made to sell these women, the characters they play, and the songs the men and women behind them write for them to perform to you. That is made abundantly clear. It was never meant to be anything more.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Hikaru Suzuhara wrote:
This franchise is pretty frank about what it is. Never once does it expect any viewer with a functioning brain to watch it and think yup this sure is representative of real life. It'd be like reading/watching Kuroko's Basketball and complaining about how you can't suspend your disbelief with a work where they have in universe superpowers when they play the sport.

o.0 Yes, because comparing a world obviously unlike ours to a world very much like ours with characters we're meant to empathize with isn't anything like comparing apples and oranges.

Methinks you miss the point, which was to compare the way various idol franchises handle 'real life' matters. No rants need apply.
CrimsonDX

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:29 pm Reply with quote
I've never once had a problem suspending my disbelief no matter what show I've been watching. Some people take this stuff way too seriously. Just sit back and enjoy the damn show.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:58 am Reply with quote
SO lets stop side stepping the mine field and plow right into it.

Best and worst Sunshine girls GO!
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I cannot form an impression of this show at the moment because I am loving it. It is my Top 1 anime of the summer and so far, it is doing great. I know the plot is a carbon copy of the original's but I can live with that since I am sure there will be something unique down the line.

Yoshiko is my favorite girl and my OTP is ChikaRiko. Yoshiko, Riko, and Mari are sure full of memes. Pretty convenient that they are the Guilty Kiss unit.
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:17 pm Reply with quote
I was highly critical of the first episode, but despite stumbling out of the gate it seems this series is starting to get on its feet. I like the touch of Chika barely being able to hold back the tears when the power goes out during the live, especially the fact that her attempt to soldier on starts failing. At least with a bare room she could say she did it, but with the lights and sound out, she feels that dream she sunk all that time and energy into shattering like glass onto concrete. Even with the power back on, I didn't get the feeling she'd be able to go through it again - if it weren't for her sister barging in and chastising her for telling her the wrong time. My main beef with that bit, aside from the complete and utter lack of a reason given for them to be able to flood a gym on their first live, is that they restart the song in the middle instead of the beginning; that would've been the perfect time to establish a few extras' motives for coming in the crappy weather to see three girls who didn't even name their unit sing and dance to one song.

Also, I have to agree with abaone94 that I'm not the biggest fan in the world of the boob grabbing making a comeback. Season 2 was better without washiwashi, but I suppose this series is trying to go the opposite direction of the more grounded approach that took: putting a student in charge of an academy certainly suggests so.
CrimsonDX

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Another excellent episode. Have not been disappointed at all so far. Can't wait to see more of Yohane next ep.

Also, I hope there is plenty of boob groping this season.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Welp, so there is significance of Hanamaru referencing Rin. No wonder episode 4 made me feel a little ehh despite the fact I got a good handle on Hanamaru's and Ruby's drama. I had no idea anything about Rin's development.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:41 pm Reply with quote
I can see where criticisms of Love Live Sunshine using μ's as a narrative crutch could be made but I figure also it could be trying to keep it within the same fictional universe as well. honestly even though it does feel a little lazy or overly hermetic for newcomers. I don't really have a problem with as the visual, art direction, and use of color makes up for the weaker aspects of the writing in my opinion.

Also, I do think episode five will be stronger if only for the fact that Yohane as far as we know has little to no knowledge of School Idols other than Aqours and is instead in her own fantasy world of her being a Fallen Angel. Also if you note early on in episode for Yohane can be seen in the background with a stick when young Hanamaru is playing in the sand little easter eggs like that make me smile.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 16