• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Magi: Adventure of Sinbad

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Etrien

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:56 pm Reply with quote
I guess I'm in the minority then, because I thought it was pretty bad compared to Magi. :/ I was really looking forward to it since I loved Magi, but it was a chore to sit through. I realize this is a nebulous and terribly subjective thing, but I thought it was very poorly written. The general ideas and overarching plot were fine, if generic, but the scene to scene writing and execution were awful. Balances it out to about a C in my book, which is a far cry from the A- I gave Magi. I struggled to believe they were even written by the same author since the quality was so different, but I guess that makes sense now since the manga's official website credits Ohtera for the manga entirely, not just the art. My suspicion is that Ohtaka still provides the general framework for the plot and probably the major events, but that Ohtera handles the actual scene by scene direction and execution, leading to the dramatic change in quality.

Anyway. Not trying to challenge anyone else's enjoyment of the series - if you like it, great! Enjoy. Smile But for me, it was enough to make me second guess my own fondness for the original Magi, like "maybe it wasn't as good as I remember...?" And I was kind of surprised to see no one else having qualms with the show's writing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2