• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: World Break: Aria of Curse for a Holy Swordsman BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tootbrush

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:09 am Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
The only thing I really remember about World Break, apart from it not being very good, is that I thought the magic system was something that would work much better in a book than in animation. The idea of the casters having to write out their spells while chanting is kind of cool, & certainly a change from the usual "Flashing buttplug!" engrish nonsense they usually shout in these things. But in practice watching a character frantically wiggling their fingers while reciting entire paragraphs didn't really work for me. Takes the "why are they just standing there & waiting for him to attack?" problem to a whole new level.

Long cast times have traditionally been the downside of powerful spells though. That's the thing I like about World Break: magic can be ridiculously powerful and Kuroma are actual glass cannons that need to be protected by the Shirogane. And while that last bit doesn't really apply to the OP protagonist, he still needs people to buy him time to pull off the nukes. And yeah, the incantation effect looks cool.

The other thing I liked about the series (besides Shizuno and Elena) was that it used the themes of the show for an okay-ish anime original arc and ending. I find that to be better than just leaving the watcher waiting for a sequel that will never come.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:49 am Reply with quote
While the idea of a couple with a past life romance happening again in the present is nothing new, I do like the idea of a who school of people with past lives and relationships, since it could make for some interesting character dynamics. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like that's the route this series went.
However, having said that, based on the review and chatter here, it does sound like it might be worth at least checking out Smile
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:01 am Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
^ lol I'll leave it up to your imagination. Also, Moroha is just shy. Wink

which is what people dont like since every male character of every harem series are like this. especially if the series is based off of a Light Novel (see Infinite Stratos & Absolute Duo for examples.at least he's not like Ichika). the only exceptions were DxD, Sora no Otoshimono, and Kyokai Senjou no Horizon where their male leads are absolute pervs.

Also i kinda disagree with the reviewer on kanzaki . while her perversion and obsession at times gets thin, it is funny at times, and tokiko is hell of a lot tolerable than say kuroko shirai from the index / railgun series, whose even more perverted than her and her annoyance level is at an eleven which is one of more reason why she is the most disliked side characters in the otaku history.

and while this series have flaws, people cant be surprised by this. its based off of a LN adaptation, which without few exceptions (Highschool DxD,Shinmai mao no Testamaent,Toaru Majustu no Index) arent that popular to begin with so its shouldnt be surprise at all that its incomplete in some way or form. and having a male lead that isnt a complete space case which is the norm for harem male leads, or an uber perv like issei or a complete jackass like makoto from school days is very refreshing to see. and while its not a thorough conclusion , at least this series had a so so ending unlike with Index , Horizon ,Absolute Duo and especially Infinite Stratos where their endings have so many holes in them their screaming for a new season but in reality to complete the storyline you'll have to read the LN.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:36 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac, this trope is very common in harem series. It doesn't help when there is a brocom/siscom.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Animegomaniac, this trope is very common in harem series. It doesn't help when there is a brocom/siscom.

Fun with Japanese: Reusing the same word with different context... I think you were talking about the "onii-chan" thing... can result in some really confusing/amusing situations. "Onii-chan" can both mean big brother or big bro... or sweet brother of mine. That last one is certainly situational. But even Yuuichi got Shiori to call him onii-chan in the romantic sense in Kanon just once... though it was more her idea and they both found it awkward and uncomfortable. Funny enough, his cousin just called him by his first name.

I'd bring up Sister Princess but then I'd have to run the "brother" gauntlet.

There's English equivalents, familiar terms that make even less sense but its all cultural nonsense anyway.

But brocom/siscom is a different situation; That's used to depict an intense feeling that one sibling has towards another. It's not necessarily romantic or lewd or even portrayed as all that unnatural... it's more overbearing than anything else.... that comes up in shows diverse as My Hime and Please Twins... and it doesn't even make sense in Please Twins because it's not where you think or even where it should be.

Honestly, if their past life was just adoration of that kind, I don't think it'd be as memorable for her or him to reincarnate with them.

Another thing I liked about the series was Moroha's catchphrase for the plot and whatever battle he's about to throwdown: "I remember... I remember everything!" which I ironically forgot.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:29 am Reply with quote
The first series I heard Felecia Angelle in was "Aesthetica" where her character is very buxom! However, this and "The Devil is a Part-Timer!" she plays pettanko characters. Talk about role reversal.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2