• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - All-new Originals

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GVman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Good article, Mike. Feels good to read some of your writing again.

While we're swapping how we learned about the franchise here, I first discovered it when I saw a gameplay video of SRW Advance on the GBA on youtube. I was looking up stuff related to G Gundam, and I saw video of Domon in the God Gundam and Rain in the Rising Gundam pulling off some sweet co-op attack, and I became very interested.

Later, I was looking up stuff on Ideon (one of the first anime I watched in its entirety) on YT, and I saw this amazing video of the Ideon Gun map attack in 3rd Alpha. At that point, not only did I know I needed to watch Ideon, but I also needed to try and play this series. Thankfully, that Mark Neidengard guy has done is in-depth plot guides for most of the series. God bless him for it.

And as for me, I don't know that I really have dream team that absolutely must appear in a series. All I really want in regards to SRW is for the entire Alpha series to get an English translation.

Also, I think the recent games have been a bit dry on the actual crossover stuff. While I need to play catch-up, it's my understanding that some of the stuff you used to see, with things like the villains conniving in collusion, Ryoma and Benkei from Getter teaching Noriko from Gunbuster some new moves for the Gunbuster, and all that good stuff just isn't in the newer games as much, with them focusing more on hitting the high-points of the plot of each series included. I mean hell, the end boss in Shin was the result of the Devil Gundam from G Gundam merging with Gosterro from Layzner (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvO2gLH0t78). This stuff needs to be more prevalent, regardless.

Of course, the folks I've heard talking about the recent Z series entries could've just been a bunch of negative nancies; like I said, I have some catching up to do. (Anyone who's a bit more familiar with the recent games have some opinions they want to share?) But I think we can all agree that more of this stuff is a good thing. Alpha was really good on the crossover stuff, but I can definitely say I wanted more.

Beldarius wrote:
snip

Long post? Voice actor fangirl?? Fan of both Saint Seiya AND Gin??? Raiden, is that you?
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What's your anime hero dream-team, the one you'd love to see in a video game?

Digimon, Mega Man Battle Network (I saw the anime far before I knew the game series existed), Angel Links, Outlaw Star, Steam Detectives and Sherlock Hound all in one would be a nice start. :D
Beldarius

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:40 am Reply with quote
GVman wrote:
Beldarius wrote:
snip

Long post? Voice actor fangirl?? Fan of both Saint Seiya AND Gin??? Raiden, is that you?

Yep. Beldarius is the nickname I use on dA and Tumblr - it's my oldest one and the one I still use whenever "Raiden" isn't available~

I just love how SRW made me notice why, how and when I turned into a voice-acting fangirl. It's because I paid so much attention to X and Teppei's voices in B'tX that I started looking up information on voice actors, and the rest is history. (So technically Tetsuya and Haken i.e. Jin Horikawa and Nobuyuki Hiyama are to blame for my extensive knowledge and interest in the subject. lel)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2