• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: New Haruhi Suzumiya Commercial Airs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:01 am Reply with quote
Too bad it's not an announcement trailer for more Haruhi because I would really love to see more of her. Sad
jymmy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:33 am Reply with quote
Thread_Alchemist wrote:
Quote:
FUNimation offers most of the above content in a deluxe Blu-Ray boxset of its own.

I know that this is nitpicking but the Funimation boxset doesn't have the movie.

Yeah.

So... that's why it says most.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:46 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Honestly though the last book pretty much feels like an ending already. I certainly wouldn't mind if we had more material, but I feel like it'd be hard to top this last arc.

The last arc was certainly huge, but there are still a bunch of loose ends. spoiler[What's Future!Mikuru's real goal? What is Fujiwara's relation to her? What's up with the Tsuruya family? What was the mysterious artifact buried on their property and how did it come into the hands of their ancestor? Who were the mysterious figures Kyon saw at the culture festival? And what is Kyon's real name? ]
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:08 am Reply with quote
Would I be the only one who doesn't care about the movie... fine, I have the Bandai BD so, yeah... but would really like that concert?

"Why would you want that, it's just the voice actors lip syncing image songs?"

1) Yuko Goto's song shows that it's not a lip sync and 2) Sugita's "Everyday life returns". He can't sing, he knows he can't sing, he sings anyway.
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:48 am Reply with quote
I saw the headline and got excited, and read the rest and got unexcited. I already own the old Japanese Blu-Ray set of the TV series (and the Australian Disappearance Blu-Ray.)

Dammit Kadokawa, I need animated versions of Dissociation and Surprise in my life.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:19 am Reply with quote
Producer's seem to be hoping fans have gotten over watching them pop eight rounds into the francise's body, but a live action version? I would have thought they would want to at least bring the anime out of it's coma and off life support before that stretch. Good luck with that. Rolling Eyes
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:35 am Reply with quote
SaiyamanMS wrote:
I saw the headline and got excited, and read the rest and got unexcited. I already own the old Japanese Blu-Ray set of the TV series (and the Australian Disappearance Blu-Ray.)

Dammit Kadokawa, I need animated versions of Dissociation and Surprise in my life.

This is called "advertising for an upcoming release." It's no different than any other physical media release for anime except an editor at ANN thought this would get page views (and it evidently did given the thread). You see commercials like this all the time during the broadcasts of late night shows since the companies who buy the timeslots want to promote their works (even in other shows' timeslots) to bring awareness of releases. I get that people aren't aware of this since you rarely, if ever, see commercials for anime releases in the West, but it's not a big deal nor is it teasing you. If you're upset at anyone, be upset at the staff here for deciding to only run an article about this particular advertisement instead of the numerous other ones this season.

Mohawk52 wrote:
Producer's seem to be hoping fans have gotten over watching them pop eight rounds into the francise's body, but a live action version? I would have thought they would want to at least bring the anime out of it's coma and off life support before that stretch. Good luck with that. Rolling Eyes

Congrats on ignoring that live-action commercials have been a part of the Haruhi advertisement campaign since 2006. 2006 had Aya Hirano playing Haruhi in two different commercials, 2009 had a nameless actress at the model school in Nishinomiya, 2014's BD-Box advertisements had a "Do you remember Haruhi Suzumiya?" commercial similar to this, and now this.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:16 am Reply with quote
I don't believe for a second that the Endless Eight arc killed off the Haruhi franchise. I think any new work would be eagerly anticipated by a still healthy fanbase. I'm sure interest would not match the initial fervour, but I think any new stuff would do pretty well.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:16 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Would I be the only one who doesn't care about the movie... fine, I have the Bandai BD so, yeah... but would really like that concert?

Yes. No one should miss out on that amazing t-shirt Aya Hirano is wearing during Gekisou.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:56 am Reply with quote
ultimatemegax wrote:

Congrats on ignoring that live-action commercials have been a part of the Haruhi advertisement campaign since 2006.
Not so much ignoring it, but more being ignorant such commercials even existed, but seeing as I don't live in Japan I'll use that as my excuse. I assumed the live pictures were a tease for a live version, Apologies for my mistake, but my Japanese isn't that good as yet. But regardless my observation and assertion still stands. I'll hazard a guess that for every two fans what liked the "Endless Eight" loop, eight others didn't, including me. That's eight out of every ten they will have to convince it's worth the effort and investment to bring it back. Wink
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Cetais wrote:
Depending on the reception and all, they can see if there's still a market for Haruhi, I guess.

People barely liked Nagato-chan spin-off. If they announce new season and its not made by KyoAni it would be same reaction like Nagato-chan did.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I'll hazard a guess that for every two fans what liked the "Endless Eight" loop, eight others didn't, including me. That's eight out of every ten they will have to convince it's worth the effort and investment to bring it back. Wink

Yes, because numbers plucked out of the air by some random dude on the itnternet are always so persuasive. Rolling Eyes If you want something more than, "er, this is an idea I'm pulling from my butt" you could, for example, look at the fact that the Japanese Blu-ray edition of movie The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya which came out a YEAR after Endless Eight sold 77,000 copies in its first week, topping the charts, but I guess we wouldn't want to cloud the situation with actual information, would we? Rolling Eyes
MischievousMelody

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Touma wrote:
ebv2406 wrote:
After endless 8 what person would want more haruhi?

Me. I enjoyed watching Endless Eight and from talking to others I know that I am not the only one.

I would love to have more of the Haruhi novels animated.

Also me. I want to see more of the novels animated, all of them preferably. I think the novel series is complete. Not sure since I read only the first 4, but I have the rest sitting in my to-read pile at home here.

Me, as well.
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
But regardless my observation and assertion still stands. I'll hazard a guess that for every two fans what liked the "Endless Eight" loop, eight others didn't, including me. That's eight out of every ten they will have to convince it's worth the effort and investment to bring it back. Wink

The 2009 airing of Haruhi Suzumiya ended in mid-October 2009. Just under 4 months later on February 6, 2010, The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya premiered in theatres. It had sell-outs in every single theatre it played in. In two days, over 140,000 people saw a near 3-hour film in only 24 theatres throughout Japan. The support for the franchise was so popular that it eventually moved to over 100 theatres in Japan throughout the year earning over 800 million yen at the box office, a number that only 6 other late night TV anime series have matched.

Later in 2010, the series was released on Blu-ray for the first time. Demand for the box set was so high that Kadokawa had to delay it by a month to allow for enough stock to reach retailers. They shipped 50,000 copies of it initially (nothing has ever been said about later shipments). The following month had a 200,000 copy print run for the Disappearance movie on BD/DVD.

The franchise was at a high point in 2010-2011 that the long-awaited 10th/11th novels had a first pressing of over 500,000 copies, one of the highest for the bunko format in Japan.

All of that says that Haruhi was still immensely popular in 2011. Endless Eight did not kill the franchise like people think.

It was the lack of anything after 2011 that has dried up any demand for more.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:36 pm Reply with quote
@ ultimatemegax - I'll shamelessly plug your blog for you. If anyone wants to read a very persuasive answer to why there has not been a new season of the Haruhi franchise, check out ultimatemegax's take on the matter:

This makes a lot of sense to me
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3