• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do Companies Only Sell Some Shows Through Their Own Stores?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Man, I wish the Berne Convention didn't have it's members copyright span ending at least 50 years after a creator dies. As such, I think copyright should limited universally to 50 years from when the work was published/made for non-photo works. This is because then we could overcome these licensing barriers with legal fansubs.

0.o Yeah, because *everyone* is just dying to get their hands on legal fansubs of anime from 1966.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:10 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
And then, you have Viz selling the remaining post-dub volumes of Maison Ikkoku only through their own site, Amazon or RightStuf.
Not so much because it was a "prestige" item, or because of rights, but because they still had such a personal company grudge against the VHS release, they wanted to "prove" to the fans that it Was Never Going to Sell In Retail Anyway, by burying it under the radar for the two or three fan-nitpicking "eccentrics" who were planning to buy it on disk.

Sort of the same reason Warner keeps banishing all its old classic movies to the Warner MOD Archive instead of retail, since they wish to convince us that "everyone knows nobody buys disks anyway".
("Everyone knows" that except the home-theater fans, apparently.)

Unfortunately, "home theater fans" are not the majority in the market. Physical disc sales have declining for some time now, and there are no signs of that changing. Companies like Best Buy cut back the sales space on movies because the volumes and profit weren't there. They didn't cut back on space to intentionally kill off a profitable business.

The same can be said for Warner Archive, and studios like Paramount licensing out much of the library to other distributors (including Warner.). They aren't scaling back home video operations to kill it off. They began scaling back operations in response to declining sales. Home video companies are businesses and they keep their doors open by making money. They aren't going to keep profitable movies from being accessed just to make less money, or force buyers into less profitable and lower sales formats.

The DVD market was in decline even before Netflix, Hulu, and others took off. Bluray has never come close to picking up the slack, and never will. The move towards to MOD discs, smaller print runs, and more limit d distribution is likely a permanent one.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:05 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:
And then, you have Viz selling the remaining post-dub volumes of Maison Ikkoku only through their own site, Amazon or RightStuf.
Not so much because it was a "prestige" item, or because of rights, but because they still had such a personal company grudge against the VHS release, they wanted to "prove" to the fans that it Was Never Going to Sell In Retail Anyway, by burying it under the radar for the two or three fan-nitpicking "eccentrics" who were planning to buy it on disk.

Sort of the same reason Warner keeps banishing all its old classic movies to the Warner MOD Archive instead of retail, since they wish to convince us that "everyone knows nobody buys disks anyway".
("Everyone knows" that except the home-theater fans, apparently.)

Unfortunately, "home theater fans" are not the majority in the market. Physical disc sales have declining for some time now, and there are no signs of that changing. Companies like Best Buy cut back the sales space on movies because the volumes and profit weren't there. They didn't cut back on space to intentionally kill off a profitable business.

The same can be said for Warner Archive, and studios like Paramount licensing out much of the library to other distributors (including Warner.). They aren't scaling back home video operations to kill it off. They began scaling back operations in response to declining sales. Home video companies are businesses and they keep their doors open by making money. They aren't going to keep profitable movies from being accessed just to make less money, or force buyers into less profitable and lower sales formats.

The DVD market was in decline even before Netflix, Hulu, and others took off. Bluray has never come close to picking up the slack, and never will. The move towards to MOD discs, smaller print runs, and more limit d distribution is likely a permanent one.

Well, there's a couple problems with that studio myth, y'see:
1) For some reason, video sales numbers are still stuck in '08, and judge a movie's physical disk sales by DVD first (since they haven't quite escaped the 00's idea that Blu-ray is still a "niche"), and yes, DVD sales have rather been down in the last six or seven years. Problem is, only that selected half of the numbers ever gets reported, and then Blu-ray disk as a footnote.

2) Studios don't measure Amazon online sales for a disk, they measure whether it's been selling at Target, Best Buy or Wal-Mart. Which would rather be explainable, when most B&M retail Targets, Best Buys or Wal-Marts have been reducing their retail disk shelves. If fewer disks are for sale, fewer disks will be selling, it's no great leap of logic to reach that conclusion.
Again, the problem happens when studios cut off their avenues of information and decide the numbers they heard are THE numbers to base pronouncements upon.

And I wouldn't be quite so naive to say that Warner "isn't trying to kill off disks". I've been on their marketing surveys, and they ARE. They are persuading, nudging, cajoling, and all but flat-out begging on hands and knees for us to believe that the home-theater public despises the "inconvenience" of disks with a passion and wants to adopt streaming as a new solution.
Recent numbers came out regarding that question last spring--They're NOT. One survey rather overwhelmingly displayed that the public is either baffled or profoundly apathetic about streaming, and many say they don't even see the point vs. disk:
http://www.gfk.com/fileadmin/user_upload/dyna_content/US/documents/GfK_Physical-Digital_Video_Report_2016_Infographic.pdf

So why does Warner want to convince us of something that just isn't true?...Because they want to. It would be so much easier for them if they market went to soft-streaming, and then the company wouldn't have to risk cardboard, mastering, and plastic expenses for a mass rollout of "Suicide Squad", only to have reality bite them in the rear.
They've had a few big-scale mass rollouts that did bite them in the rear, and Warner is more very definitely and neurotically NOT the get-back-on-the-horse type. They are leading the charge in the War Against Blu-Ray, and trying to convince other studios to join them. It's a doomed cause, but they think they're fighting the "good fight".

That said, the limited risk of the MOD Archive has rescued quite a few movies on Blu-ray, and saved them from Warner's current Mad-King-Ludwig mentality of banishing anything catalog, and their terror of releasing any movie on mass physical retail that isn't Batman, Tolkien, Harry Potter or the Wizard of Oz.
But as we saw even from that recent $800 Tolkien set this year, they're letting the mentality set in that anyone who would buy disks is probably some kind of eccentric "collector" who wants something to go with his SDCC convention figurines, and that the market for physical disks is a niche of fringe oddballs. THAT'S when the industry mindset starts becoming dangerous.

(But that's Warner. Viz just hated Maison, because they refused to believe that DVD was outselling VHS in '99.)

[Edit]: removed insult. Errinundra.
Evernessince

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:08 am Reply with quote
himeji wrote:
It's overdue that production committees set up a download site for each show.

Completely dispose of all middle-men.

This is the internet, FFS.

Unfortunately that is only feasible for popular shows. They have to pay a web designer to make the website and maintain it. Not to mention server costs, domain name costs, ect. They also have to hire people to handle sales for each website. You can't have one guy check every website and ship out everything by himself.
himeji

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:59 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
himeji wrote:
It's overdue that production committees set up a download site for each show.

Completely dispose of all middle-men.

This is the internet, FFS.
Well, it's good to know that Japanese companies have the staff and budget available to provide service and support in every language and in all time zones, and that "the Internet, FFS" has eliminated all economic disparities and cultural differences around the world.

Oooooo... such lovely sarcasm. Smile))

Quote:

Evernessince
Quote:
Unfortunately that is only feasible for popular shows. They have to pay a web designer to make the website and maintain it. Not to mention server costs, domain name costs, ect. They also have to hire people to handle sales for each website. You can't have one guy check every website and ship out everything by himself.

Yea, I know. It's all too difficult...
silentjay

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:09 am Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
Another aspect, licensors' own shops can't sell to customers from other regions, while retailers don't have that obstacle.

Actually, retailers do technically have that obstacle, but it's pretty much never policed.
Vibrant Wolf

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:15 am Reply with quote
Why in the hell does anime have to be such a difficult hobby/lifestyle?
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Evernessince wrote:

Another aspect, not mentioned in the article (or in the comments?) is that if the field was to become fragmented over the board, the number of attack surfaces would consequently also start to become worryingly high from a security standpoint, and I'd doubt everyone one of them would adhere to 'best practices' especially considering how small many of these operators are...
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
I have noticed that the Funimation Store's pricing typically tracks with Right Stuf, which I'm sure is no coincidence. Like Justin said, the few times where I've ordered directly, rather than through Right Stuf is when there is some sort of exclusive item, and even then, I might not do that if the price wasn't the same.

I basically settled in as a dedicated Right Stuf user years ago for all the reasons Justin mentioned at the end, plus they are located in my state, so buying from them has a certain "shop locally" feel to it.

Sentai's prices are much the same at their store. Same with Robert's Anime Corner Store. The latter hardly gets mentioned by people compared to Right Stuf. Which is sad cause they do a good job at RACS.

I find it humorous the website looks like its still from the old 90's, but I use them sometimes. Usually when I already know what I'm picking up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2