• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shinkai's 'your name.' Film Becomes #1 2D Animated Film in China Ever

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FormX

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:43 am Reply with quote
Thanks to this article I watched Big Fish & Begonia. The theme song music video promoting the movie was too good. No English subs at the moment.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Michael Nathanael T. wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
Pierrot. wrote:
If the movie has been doing well in China don't see why it won't do well in the US as well.

China seems to like anime a lot more than American's (average) audiences do.

Because American people cannot really appreciate art, is what I think.

It's more like closer cultural affinities between Japan and China.

American culture is very inward looking as well so it's very hard for something foreign to get popular there (the most popular foreign stuff in the US are rock bands from the UK and Australia like AC/DC and Beatles but they share close cultural affinities). The most popular foreign film in the US history actually is the first Pokemon movie. That's because it's a kids movie and kids tend to be more open to different foreign stuff than adults.

Kikaioh wrote:
If I recall correctly, doesn't China specifically limit the amount of foreign films that can be screened in the country to only about 20 a year, largely to protect its own domestic film industry? I guess I'm wondering about the broader context of how many 2D animated films have actually screened there in the first place, to put the headline into perspective I guess.

Well, they are the second largest producer of 2D animated films after Japan I think. Also, in recent years China already has been making more CG animated films than the US does. I think it's only a matter of time before China surpasses Japan and becomes the world's largest animation producer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:27 am Reply with quote
Kon'Doriano wrote:
Dang this movie is still breaking records! Next thing you know, it could end up on the Guinness Book of World Records Laughing but seriously congrats to Shinkai Cool

If it breaks the domestic Japanese and global "Spirited Away" box office price (for at least 2016 USD), then it has a better chance
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Kon'Doriano wrote:
Next thing you know, it could end up on the Guinness Book of World Records

Quite so! Never before has there been an anime in which its critical reception and its availability within the Anglosphere have been quite so antithetical.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ignitingblue

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:57 pm Reply with quote
I just thought Your Name had been out of Chinese cinema since Christmas Eve! I assumed it was done for and never got a change to beat Big Fish and Begonia. Can't imagine that they have extended the license for about 5 weeks. At this rate, Your Name may surpass Spirited Away in terms of box office world-wide!

Unfortunately I checked weekend box office in France and Your Name only ranked about 17th since it first appearance in France on December 28th. I wonder what are our manga-loving French friends doing? They love movies which are adapted from their bande dessinee (as well as American graphic novels) so I thought the box office for Your Name in France would be better. Now Your Name has been shown in South Korea since January 4th, and I am looking forward to see its performance.

Kikaioh wrote:
If I recall correctly, doesn't China specifically limit the amount of foreign films that can be screened in the country to only about 20 a year, largely to protect its own domestic film industry?

Yes it's true. TOHO as well as the rest of the anime production committee had been worrying about entering Chinese market for China decided not to introduce as many Korean movies in response to deployment of THAAD. Fortunately Your Name was approved despite political issues we can see the movie uncut in the cinema.

Jose Cruz wrote:
Well, they are the second largest producer of 2D animated films after Japan I think. Also, in recent years China already has been making more CG animated films than the US does. I think it's only a matter of time before China surpasses Japan and becomes the world's largest animation producer.

We are, by the standard of minutes of animation produced. But many are produced in low-quality to receive state budget as their income, not to compete in the market. And the reason behind Chinese 3D animation is that the state budget for each 3D animation is about 1.5 times of 2D animation, iirc. There was an animation producer planned on IPO, concealing the fact that state budget was their major income source before being exposed, and was accused of "not revealing critical risk".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2