• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: One Piece Film Gold

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Vic Mignogna is playing Sabo?? Strange, since he already has a lot of roles in this series.

For the long shonen series with tons of characters, it's pretty common for them to reuse actors, even the better known ones. Considering how long One Piece is, I'd be more surprised if their regulars didn't have multiple roles.

jr240483 wrote:
though Hisoka's VA???? how did they pull that off??? i definitely know silverstein is not a long time funi VA let alone and ADV Films veteran like mignona. guess they decide to use an outsource VA for the movie which had to cost them a pretty penny to do so .

I doubt they paid all that much comparatively, and chances are he went to them. It's not unheard of for LA actors to make the occasional trip for certain projects. Cristina Vee was in the Strike Witches movie, for example. They have also used LA actors who happened to be in the area for other reasons. Richard Epcar was in Michiko & Hatchin and The Woman Called Fujiko Mine in large part because he was going to be in Texas anyway. The impression I got from the commentaries is that Funimation wasn't able to offer enough to justify him making a special trip for Lupin. There were a couple of times where Johnny Yong Bosh was able to record with them because he was visiting family in Texas at the time.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:17 pm Reply with quote
romanmack wrote:
It's also why FUNi won't even bother with the older films.

A small part of me still hopes that FUNi might be willing to take a chance on movie 6. At this point they have almost the entirety of Mamoru Hosoda's filmography and have given it fancy special editions, so a One Piece release with "by the director of..." emblazoned on the box seems like it'd sell itself.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:03 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
romanmack wrote:
It's also why FUNi won't even bother with the older films.

A small part of me still hopes that FUNi might be willing to take a chance on movie 6. At this point they have almost the entirety of Mamoru Hosoda's filmography and have given it fancy special editions, so a One Piece release with "by the director of..." emblazoned on the box seems like it'd sell itself.

I don't exactly know why Funimation refuses to release those earlier movies. I mean they released all of the DBZ movies. Them sitting on that and Poltergeist Report from Yu Yu Hakkusho is rather weird.
mooseV01

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Gemnist wrote:
Vic Mignogna is playing Sabo?? Strange, since he already has a lot of roles in this series.

For the long shonen series with tons of characters, it's pretty common for them to reuse actors, even the better known ones. Considering how long One Piece is, I'd be more surprised if their regulars didn't have multiple roles.

jr240483 wrote:
though Hisoka's VA???? how did they pull that off??? i definitely know silverstein is not a long time funi VA let alone and ADV Films veteran like mignona. guess they decide to use an outsource VA for the movie which had to cost them a pretty penny to do so .

I doubt they paid all that much comparatively, and chances are he went to them. It's not unheard of for LA actors to make the occasional trip for certain projects. Cristina Vee was in the Strike Witches movie, for example. They have also used LA actors who happened to be in the area for other reasons. Richard Epcar was in Michiko & Hatchin and The Woman Called Fujiko Mine in large part because he was going to be in Texas anyway. The impression I got from the commentaries is that Funimation wasn't able to offer enough to justify him making a special trip for Lupin. There were a couple of times where Johnny Yong Bosh was able to record with them because he was visiting family in Texas at the time.

Actually, Vic hasn't had any major roles in One Piece besides Colonol Nezumi (The corrupt mouse-like marine in the Arlong arc) and dubbing some of the intros/outros. And the main crew hasn't voiced anyone else other than the fake StrawHats. Although the supporting cast can get reused a fair amount, as of late the OP dub has been undertaking new blood for key characters.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2