• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Studio 4°C, Anime Limited to Launch Mind Game Blu-ray Kickstarter

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Will this only be open to UK backers since Anime Limited is a UK company? I recall trying to back one of their other crowdfunding campaigns but wasn't able to. I already have the Australian DVD release, but I'll gladly upgrade to Blu-Ray for Mind Game.

The article notes that:
Quote:
Anime Limited confirmed with ANN that it is handling the Kickstarter campaign for Studio 4°C for the rest of the world outside of Japan, and not just for the United Kingdom and Ireland.

So I imagine all of us can contribute as well.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:56 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I would definitely describe Kemonozume as "experimental". This is the kind of animation you'll see during most of it. It's fantastic, but not for everyone. I think it's perfect for a platform like Kickstarter though.

Atypical visual styles can be taken in their stride by anyone, but how is the writing? Is a conventional story told eventually, or must the viewer piece together a conclusive narrative from another assortment of fragments?

While it admittedly tried to warn me by the means of its own name, Mind Game's approach to arranging a screenplay could bewilder the keenest of eyes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kuzronk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:30 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Will this only be open to UK backers since Anime Limited is a UK company? I recall trying to back one of their other crowdfunding campaigns but wasn't able to. I already have the Australian DVD release, but I'll gladly upgrade to Blu-Ray for Mind Game.

Anime Limited confirmed with ANN that it is handling the Kickstarter campaign for Studio 4°C for the rest of the world outside of Japan, and not just for the United Kingdom and Ireland.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:39 am Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
I'd be inclined to give my money if I knew why they were aiming for such a low amount. It seems so low that I can't see how they couldn't raise it themselves, even if it is a "testing the waters" campaign, or whatever.
It says in the article that Studio 4C will raise the remainder, which would lead me to speculate that:
1. they are treating it like a pre-order to gauge interest (they can always cancel if it doesn't even reach the low goal) and get some quick financing.
2. its a way of having fans promote the product. If people get excited about it they will jump on social media and share it.
3. if the Kickstarter turns out successful at raising money like Time of Eve, Skip Beat!, and Mai Mai Miracle then it may self-fund a dub (like those anime did) which is always an expensive addition, but if the fans raise the money for you why not?

Zin5ki wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
I would definitely describe Kemonozume as "experimental". This is the kind of animation you'll see during most of it. It's fantastic, but not for everyone. I think it's perfect for a platform like Kickstarter though.

Atypical visual styles can be taken in their stride by anyone, but how is the writing? Is a conventional story told eventually, or must the viewer piece together a conclusive narrative from another assortment of fragments?

The story is a little more straight forward (but probably not as easily consumable as his Ping-Pong) and has many themes: Relationships between men and women, fathers and sons, brothers, tradition vs modernity, and purity vs ambition. Its not a perfect show--there are some parts where it felt there were cuts made to make it fit in an episode--but I enjoyed it immensely and it definitely deserves a release. I could see Discotek doing it as I believe it was only released on DVD in Japan and therefore there would be less reverse import fears.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:39 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Lemon: It was such a terrible seller that they're gauging demand?

That's an interesting way of seeing it. I saw that this number was very low, even for crowdfunding, and it either meant Studio 4 Degrees C is in a near-bankrupt state or it's more to see how potential buyers would react to it before they released it.

That it's so low means they don't need a lot of people or expect a lot of people in the first place.

relyat08 wrote:
OH MY GOD! NO FRICKIN' WAY! Never before have I been so excited to throw money at something. I hope to see more kickstarters for THIS kind of thing. License my obscure anime favorites please! Someone do Kemonozume too. If they legitimately only need $6000, I feel like they could do that easily. DVD is fine for that too. I just want ta physical release in my hands that has English subtitles.

It'd be funny if a single contributor threw in that much. I remember a Kickstarter campaign for a video game that received US$10,000 pledges from one or two people. They put one of their goals that high (a special "Gold" edition of the game, distributed only through this method), far, far above anything else, to see if people would actually give that amount just to have an extremely rare edition, and at least one person actually gave them ten grand.

The highest amount I've seen pledged was around US$80,000, but there was some shady business surrounding that one including the guy who started it getting convicted of selling narcotics, and the project dissipated after that.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:06 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

It'd be funny if a single contributor threw in that much. I remember a Kickstarter campaign for a video game that received US$10,000 pledges from one or two people. They put one of their goals that high (a special "Gold" edition of the game, distributed only through this method), far, far above anything else, to see if people would actually give that amount just to have an extremely rare edition, and at least one person actually gave them ten grand.

I was briefly considering giving multiple hundreds because I just happen to have the money at the moment, but that would probably not be wise spending. Maybe it'll depend on what the pledges are. I'll be going in for a very nice release, that's for sure. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some fairly high pledges though. I have seen a few of those super high ones on other anime projects as well. If I remember right, someone did pledge $5k, or around that, to go to Texas to party with the Escaflowne people and get a role in the new dub. A film like this though, especially, I would expect to have a lot of very passionate fans willing to give quite a lot.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:27 am Reply with quote
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:39 am Reply with quote
Already 100% funded which shouldn't really be a surprise with such a low goal. Still, I'm elated that I'll eventually be getting Mind Game on Blu-Ray.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Yatta!
Yeah, this is exciting. I would be happy to see more stretch goals come about now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2