• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Eras of Japanese History as Told Through Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:47 am Reply with quote
Wow, sad I missed the previous poll since Kamiya is my favorite seiyuu! My vote would've been hands down for Natsume.

One of my favorite period anime series right now is Nobunaga no Shinobi. It's the series that makes me laugh every week. It's cute, funny, perfectly cast, and you also get to learn some history!
kgw

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:11 am Reply with quote
Not The Wind rises for early Showa? I admit it can be a liiiitle bit controversial, but it is a great way to know about pre WW2 Japan, including the Great Kanto Earthquake.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:37 am Reply with quote
A notable Muromachi Era (1336-1573) anime is "Mononoke-Hime". This July 12 that movie will be 20.
shosakukan

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:23 am Reply with quote
Lynzee Loveridge wrote:
...Otogi Zoshi. The anime's setting and characters is mix of the medieval novels that it takes its name from;

Actually, Otogizōshi are short stories. I read them in the original.
In Volume 38 of Nihon Koten Bungaku Taikei, distinguished scholar Ichiko Teiji wrote, "...御伽草子 [Otogizōshi] の概略を述べたが、なおその特色に就いて、二三付記しておきたいと思う。 まず鎌倉時代までの物語と相違しているところはこれらが短篇 [short stories] だということである。"
You may have seen a Westerner say something like "Otogizōshi are called chūsei shōsetsu. chūsei is 'medieval', and shōsetsu is 'novel'. Therefore Otogizōshi are medieval novels." And You may have swallowed it. But it is a mistranslation done by a person whose knowledge of the Japanese language and Japanese literature is limited.
While Tsubouchi Shōyō compared 小説 shōsetsu with novels in his Shōsetsu Shinzui ("さあらバ眞の小說稗史(那ベル)ハいかなる時世に現はるゝぞ") in Meiji 18, the Japanese term "小説 (shōsetsu)" is a term that can cover both novels and short stories. And scholars of Japanese literature call Japanese mediaeval and early-modern prose fiction 小説 shōsetsu even if the length of a prose-fiction work which they examine is short.

Key wrote:
Two other series which are set in the same time period are Doomed Megalopolis and Steel Angel Kurumi.

The Teito Monogatari anime (Doomed Megalopolis) is based on the parts from Shinrei-hen to Ryūdō-hen of the Teito Monogatari novel series by Aramata Hiroshi. I read them in the original. So, to put it more precisely, the Teito Monogatari anime also covers the late Meiji period and the early Shōwa period.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:25 am Reply with quote
Article says: "There's much more ground to cover compared to what kids get in U.S. history classes in high school, which rarely cover anything before the Boston Tea Party."

The problem is that the USA is a much bigger country than Japan and each state is ripe with history. Collectively trying to tell the main points will exclude so many stories. The same thing applies to each Japanese prefecture.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2