• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shirobako Anime's Website Updated With 'Under Construction' Sign

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:51 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
Yeah, the basic problem with a Shirobako sequel is that the show accomplished what it set out to do and the characters reached the end of their natural arcs.

They reached the end of certain arcs, but they're not at the ultimate stages of their careers; there's plenty of room for more story in that regard.

zrnzle500 wrote:
IIRC, there is more story to tell. I believe they originally planned to go through Aoi becoming a director herself but just did the two cours due to availability issues of some key staff involved or something.

What I'd heard was that Aoi's career path would lead to Line Producer, and there'd been hints of Tarou winding up a Director. (Yes, seriously. Mizushima Tsutomu has stated that Tarou is based on himself early in his career; arrogant, but with not much to back it up.)

yuna49 wrote:
After doing an anime-original production in season one, and a manga adaptation in season two, I figured the only thing left for season three would be a hentai.

There are other sources they can draw from, each with their own challenges; light novels, visual novels, etc. And the five girls were talking about some day remaking their student project properly, so there's that as a possibility. And they haven't covered absolutely all of the problems that can strike a production, so there can still be a good variety of obstacles for them to overcome.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:03 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
IIRC, there is more story to tell. I believe they originally planned to go through Aoi becoming a director herself but just did the two cours due to availability issues of some key staff involved or something. If they are available now and they have something storywise that can match the first season, by all means.

Well the staff have been saying that they don't have more story to tell right now. And that they are looking at a sequel only if they can find a solid theme, so I don't know about that. I'm in the camp that thinks going over a film production could potentially work well, but I don't think it would be all that interesting to just watch Aoba and crew make yet another show with them all generally doing the same roles other than Aoba moving up a rung, maybe.

gedata wrote:

Shirobako stands fine on its own, but it isn't sequel proof in the same way as something like Death Note is. Chill out and try and feel a bit optimistic here bro,

Code Geass got a sequel that it never should've gotten, and so have many many other shows, so I would say nothing is ever really sequel proof. And I'm plenty optimistic, I'm just expressing some concerns. It's not a big deal really. Chill bro... Rolling Eyes
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:
Ok then. All right. Interesting development. If this eventually leads to an announcement of a second season, I'll be so excited that I'll be squealing and jumping up and down on the spot like a little school girl. I'm hoping that it is just that.

Took the words right out of my mouth, friend.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:28 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Well the staff have been saying that they don't have more story to tell right now. And that they are looking at a sequel only if they can find a solid theme, so I don't know about that. I'm in the camp that thinks going over a film production could potentially work well, but I don't think it would be all that interesting to just watch Aoba and crew make yet another show with them all generally doing the same roles other than Aoba moving up a rung, maybe.

Ultimately a sequel is just speculation at this point, generally or regarding its format. Hell, it could be a pachinko machine for all we know. If it were a sequel, I can't imagine that it would be earlier than late next year. Regardless, if they want to, I'm confident they could figure something out, and as long as they do it right, I have no qualms with that.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:24 pm Reply with quote
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 4:21 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
First and foremost Shirobako was about the anime industry itself and one thing they have yet to tackle is how fast it has been changing in the past five years. Also, there is no "happy ending" in real life. For voice actors it is a hurdle to become self-sufficient, but the next hurdle is to stay profitable. All the girls have a lot of room for improving. I would also want to see the deluge of "refugees" when an anime studio (let's call it notmangloble) goes bankrupt. They could also tackle the differences of how to make a movie (recently there have more each season). BCS we might get a sequel by next year.

Ha, saying that makes me now want a Shirobako + Sore ga Seiyuu joint series. Wink

But I agree, there is plenty of room to a continue the series, even pull a Wagnaria with a different studio. Perhaps they could dwell more into the hardships the animators endure with the low-wage and long-hours? Or the threat of foreign animators with cheaper labor costs? Of course, that's rather negative for such a positive series. Perhaps the series focuses on the girl's working together on their own series and the challenge of gathering funding and support, the promoting, with the ultimate victory of it being aired?

But if this news isn't about a second season and it's another OVA, I won't be disappointed. The original is still worth it.
sabretoothtigers

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 11:29 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Code Geass got a sequel that it never should've gotten, and so have many many other shows, so I would say nothing is ever really sequel proof. And I'm plenty optimistic, I'm just expressing some concerns. It's not a big deal really. Chill bro... Rolling Eyes

How did Code Geass get a sequel it shouldn't have gotten? They ended season one on the biggest cliffhanger ever, and you think they should've just left that cliffhanger completely open?!
Then again, they ended season 2 on a massive cliffhanger as well so, umm...
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 12:38 pm Reply with quote
sabretoothtigers wrote:
relyat08 wrote:

How did Code Geass get a sequel it shouldn't have gotten? They ended season one on the biggest cliffhanger ever, and you think they should've just left that cliffhanger completely open?!
Then again, they ended season 2 on a massive cliffhanger as well so, umm...

I was talking about season 3 of CG, not season 2. I'm not opposed to sequels. I'm opposed to pointless ones that serve no artistic or creative purporse. Anyway, I guess you don't keep up with fan reaction because almost no one thinks that a season 3 of Code Geass was a good idea. Other than fans who totally missed the point of spoiler[Lelouch's death]. Which is exactly the kind of thing I was complaining about. Too many people will beg for a sequel to anything and everything if they get attached to a story even if that sequel is harmful to the themes/message/philosophy/characters or what-have-you of that franchise. I bet there are kids out there who have convinced themselves that Light spoiler[didn't actually die either!] You mean you didn't see that part where you see a silhouette of a guy who could have possibly been Light walking down that shadowy street??? That was obviously him! Rolling Eyes
For the record, a sequel to a show I like doesn't effect my enjoyment of the original nearly as much as it does for many people, but I'd rather not have to clarify that I only like a certain part of something. And I would also like to see talented creative staff work on things that they are actually interested in, rather than being tied to a story that had no more to be told. An original spin off CG would be great. More things like Akito the Exiled. A follow up to a series that had what many consider to be arguably one of the best and most iconic endings in anime history... that's probably a bad idea.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2