• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 1:44 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I'm actually one of the most active StreetPass users around. It's a shame that gathering Miis is so difficult, especially since Burger King recently switched to its own wi-fi and thus there is no more StreetPass Relay there.

Tell me about it. I can't even find the same folks who always had all the pieces I needed to complete puzzles in Mii Plaza anymore. I'm skeptical they all just happened to move out of town at the same time, but with the sudden removal of Relay from every place that used to have it, I'm left getting Street Passes from little brats who don't have a single piece.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:29 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Tell me about it. I can't even find the same folks who always had all the pieces I needed to complete puzzles in Mii Plaza anymore. I'm skeptical they all just happened to move out of town at the same time, but with the sudden removal of Relay from every place that used to have it, I'm left getting Street Passes from little brats who don't have a single piece.

It's not so much removal of Relay as it is removal of AT&T from these places as they switch to other providers. McDonald's, FedEx, and Home Depot are the major nationwide retailers left still using AT&T as their wi-fi source.

A lot of people just plain stop playing StreetPass Mii Plaza when they've gotten everything they want out of it, I noticed. I'm actually more likely to get tags for Super Smash Bros. 3DS than I am for StreetPass Mii Plaza, which is a shame because the most recent set of new games all strongly encourage large groups, as all five are near unplayable with only a few Mii partners. I have my own personal list of reliable locations, but one of them has had a serious downturn as of late, which I suspect is for this very reason: That a lot of the regulars have stopped checking StreetPass Mii Plaza and letting them fill up 10 out of 10. The other locations are attractions and events with a lot of out-of-state and out-of-country visitors (and I'd bet a lot of them are taking in tags to fill up the maps--me, I have just Montana left for the United States).

At the very least, anime conventions are still by far the busiest source of them, and I suspect I'm going to actually fill out my queue entirely in this way.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Makes sense. AT&T isn't exactly everyone's favorite provider anymore, with the hate they get.

Sadly I'm struggling to find anyone who has even one piece of the puzzles I'm still trying to complete. If I go to the mall, I get maybe one or two SPs, but they're usually just some little kids who don't even own any games. I remember when I used to get loads of puzzle piece holders almost daily whenever I went out for a walk. These days, it's like I'm trying to find someone in an abandoned place. Unfortunately, I have no alternatives, as I don't even go to anime conventions any longer. Guess StreetPass Plaza is fading out after all.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:25 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Makes sense. AT&T isn't exactly everyone's favorite provider anymore, with the hate they get.

Sadly I'm struggling to find anyone who has even one piece of the puzzles I'm still trying to complete. If I go to the mall, I get maybe one or two SPs, but they're usually just some little kids who don't even own any games. I remember when I used to get loads of puzzle piece holders almost daily whenever I went out for a walk. These days, it's like I'm trying to find someone in an abandoned place. Unfortunately, I have no alternatives, as I don't even go to anime conventions any longer. Guess StreetPass Plaza is fading out after all.

Every now and then, they announce a StreetPass weekend. It used to be an annual thing but now happens almost any weekend with a major holiday (which means I expect the next one in the United States will be this upcoming Memorial Day weekend). There is also still the occasional Special Mii, who will always have every Puzzle Swap panel, including the pink ones. It's a very slow process though, I know, and it's gotten a lot slower as of late, I'd say at around summer of last year.

For the record, theme parks remain a decent source of tags. You don't get as many of them as you would a convention, and you don't get a lot of dedicated StreetPassers with up-to-date software, but they're there, and you'll get them regularly. The last time I visited Disneyland, for instance, which was December last year, I received 18 tags over the course of the day.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2