• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Welcome to the Ballroom Anime Gets Amazon Prime-Only Streaming Inside, Outside Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:47 pm Reply with quote
everapril wrote:
Welp. *Thinks hard* Nope, still not paying for Strike. I can't justify another Anime only subscription and this johnny come lately still hasn't edged out Funi and CR for breadth of content.

Just get CR and Strike and drop Funi, since Funi has no more exclusives.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:50 pm Reply with quote
64BitRatchet wrote:

Funimation has English dubs, which I usually (but not always) prefer. If CR ever got both subbed and dubbed versions of an anime, I'd probably drop Funimation at some point.
everapril

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:04 am Reply with quote
64BitRatchet wrote:
everapril wrote:
Welp. *Thinks hard* Nope, still not paying for Strike. I can't justify another Anime only subscription and this johnny come lately still hasn't edged out Funi and CR for breadth of content.

Well, Funi's got the dubs and I've got an SO who can't handle subs. Granted I don't have Strike to compare, but there are some shows on Funi that aren't on CR, Hulu or Netflix.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:11 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin, while CR's English dub catalog could be a lot bigger, them having a dub and sub of the same show is even more limited. While neither are Funi-dubbed, "Toradora" and "A Lull in the Sea" are examples of the latter category.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:12 am Reply with quote
Hopefully it's not Anime Strike. Otherwise the only show I was interested in this summer is beyond me.
Random Name

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:19 am Reply with quote
I think the only way I could justify another streaming service is if Amazon started dubbing.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:22 am Reply with quote
If it's only on Amazon Prime Video, I'll watch it. If it's on Anime Strike... not gonna happen.
Nagsura

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:53 am Reply with quote
Time to put that free Japanese Amazon Prime trial to good use before it expires.
HueyLion

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:30 am Reply with quote
I'll be damn. Meaning mostly everyone will get a chance to watch the this anime. Honestly Hope they r not disturb by the giraffe necks... I can already see this doing "Okay" ratings
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:37 am Reply with quote
Well.... RIP this show then. Wishing Amazon would get out already with this Amazon Strike business, but doesn't look like it'll be leaving anytime soon.
idioteva

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:21 am Reply with quote
everapril wrote:
64BitRatchet wrote:
everapril wrote:

Well, Funi's got the dubs and I've got an SO who can't handle subs. Granted I don't have Strike to compare, but there are some shows on Funi that aren't on CR, Hulu or Netflix.

This is my problem too. I already have an Crunchy, Funi and Netflix account because me and SO love anime and our son is getting into it. He can read the subtitles for children's shows like Chi's Sweet Home but he tried My Hero Academia and just can't keep up so we gotta keep Funi. Last season foe the firat time in years hubby and his BF pirated re:creators and the Danmachi spin off, the only show they really wanted to see this season. When I started buying Ballroom, the anime got announced and they have been hyped on my reccomendation but will now pirate again.

As for reaching mass media audiences, I think they are barking up the wrong tree. I don't know a single person who owns an amazon prime account. I've had my manager come and ask me if I've heard of a movie called Blame and how amazing it is after only being on netflix two days. I've been in disbelife watching the work place go into full blown discussions over netflix shows. I've also been nagged if I know when more attack on titan and seven deadly sins is coming. There is a thirst from mainstream and otaku alike but no one is willing to pay prime's price point and is missing both completely.
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:14 am Reply with quote
I'm personally happy that Amazon got it since it means they paid more money to get the streaming rights than the likes of CR. I'll still watch the show, very easily, it's not like anime is conveniently available for streaming in my country anyway.
Sota-Son

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:58 am Reply with quote
Rivailloli wrote:
Well.... RIP this show then. Wishing Amazon would get out already with this Amazon Strike business, but doesn't look like it'll be leaving anytime soon.

So agree, Anime Strike is the worst.

Thorfinn wrote:
I'm personally happy that Amazon got it since it means they paid more money to get the streaming rights than the likes of CR. I'll still watch the show, very easily, it's not like anime is conveniently available for streaming in my country anyway.

insults removed

Mod edit: insulting people like that is not tolerated here. Do it again and you'll be banned. -Galap
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:56 am Reply with quote
Anime Strike only existis in NA as far as I know. There is no double paywall in other countries.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:56 am Reply with quote
Here's a thought exercise, nothing more, nothing less.

In my early days of work our customer service people said that for every complaint you received there were about 10 people who were just as upset but wouldn't bother to complain. Their take away was : Whatever you have done wrong it is actual 10X worse than it looks.

Now we have the internet age, so the multiplier may be different. Amazon's a titanic business and in all likelihood they get more complaints in aggregate daily than, say, RightStuff has customers. Getting Amazon's attention is harder just due to the sheer volume, but they do pay a lot of attention to customers because it's key to their business model. Prime customers in particular.

So, again, if you are upset ( Anime Fans are FANS and boy can they get upset. ) with how Amazon has handled Prime Videos & Anime Strikeout AND especially if you are an Amazon Prime customer. Then contact their customer service and calmly, clearly and politely explain where they have gone wrong & how they can go about fixing their errors.

Mark Gosdin
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4