• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What the Heck Happened to Berserk?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Valhern

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:30 pm Reply with quote
While I'm on the side that believes this series is unwatchable, I do sympathize a lot with how the production crew really couldn't manage the work they were assigned to or even conncect properly with the director's ambitions and viceversa.

I hope it doesn't end it here for these guys nor for a future adaptation. Glad to have the article for more insight on that regard.

residentgrigo wrote:
Quote:
Although the show retains a dedicated audience thanks to the popularity of its source material

Yeah... how about a hard no. At least in form of paying customers, aka the only voice worth listening to.
The Japanese sales numbers are now so low that even a passionate hater of this show as me is getting worried. This shit can´t even chart anymore, with sales below 1k!

Why worried, though? I don't know how well Berserk has been faring in past volumes but animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-07-06/japanese-comic-ranking-june-26-july-2/.118505 the last ranking isn't bad at all. Surely not the peak of the series, and I don't know how much good did this adaptation do for an increasing in overall sales, but if you are a manga fan and don't care for this animated iteration, then I see no reason for worry if the show bombs.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:41 pm Reply with quote
It had some weak spots but I thought all of the big highlight fights looked pretty awesome in the style they were going for.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
Ever since the reveal of the Arc System Works 2D/3D engine, I have been waiting for someone to use that style to animate a series.

I think the Guilty Gear Xrd folks at GDC said that software is proprietary, so I'm sure it'd cost an arm and a leg to even get the rights to use in the first place.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:13 pm Reply with quote
The new Berserk makes Claymore's anime adaptation look like a masterpiece.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:35 pm Reply with quote
I tried to watch this, I really really tried, but I came to a conclusion that if there is one, just one, anime that I truly cannot stand, it has to be this one. I truly think with the right people it could've been decent, but as the article makes clear, production was doomed from the start.
In the span of 4 or so episodes I kept thinking to myself "is this supposed to be Berserk?". I mean, I see an ugly model of Guts CLANGing some things on screen and trying to look cool, but what I definitely do not see... is Berserk.
The only reason why I'll always remember this show is because I make these dumbass CLANG compilation videos which got far more popular than I ever would've imagined.

Zhou-BR wrote:
I don't think anyone would mind a 2D adaptation with a more simplified look than the manga's, as long as the animation was great. I guess the difficult part would be assembling a production committee that could raise enough money to hire a top-tier studio like Bones or Production I.G to animate it.
Pretty much this. I personally don't believe Berserk adaptions are only possible with 3D animation. I can understand why people would state that but the 90's did Berserk in 2D, so then why wouldn't they be able to do it 20 years later?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:56 pm Reply with quote
I completely disagree with the statement that Berserk would have to be made with CG. The original anime adaptation still holds up today, and it was made in 1997. Sure, it didn't have all the detailed linework you see in the manga, and it did use a lot of tricks of the time to mask limited animation, but it did have something of a storybook feel to its look, and it effectively used the medium to its advantage to faithfully tell the story of Berserk. Some of those still images are still burned into my mind, like when Guts stares up at Griffith when he overhears him saying that anyone who looks up to him could never be an equal or a friend. Even if the animation wasn't as detailed as the manga, or as fluid as other shows even of its time, it understood atmosphere, pacing, the source material, and just effective direction, all of which the new adaptation lacks. I get that it was a troubled production, but beyond using jank cgi it just fails to competently understand how to effectively tell a story through the medium of cinema. Add to that the fact it is visually a hot mess, and that aesthetics absolutely do matter in the medium, and the result is just tragic.

Maybe they could try to salvage this whole thing and do a "Berserk: Brotherhood." Not saying that it would be easy, or cheap, but there is no way that Berserk is unadaptable. Even if you get some amazing director like Masaaki Yuasa who does a unique but simplified art style, if it can effectively tell the story of Berserk, and keep the spirit of it, I would be so happy. At least for now we have the manga.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Sahmbahdeh wrote:
I recently watched a video on why Berserk is un-adaptable in the current anime industry, and I feel like this is as good a place to share this as any.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6CJaChQ7rQ

Though I find him a bit annoying, he makes some good points. [/url]
I saw that awhile ago, the problem is that he doesn't seem very bright, a few things he said where clearly wrong. He says he likes the Harmony Cels in the OLM version and we would not get that today, but some shows do use them. He uses the term CG for every anime, because according to him everything is done on computer, which obviously it is not as it is drawn on papaer and some shows still use hand-painted backgrounds. And all effects are computer effects, despite shows like Konosuba proving otherwise.
danpmss

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:30 pm Reply with quote
What saddens me the most is that, even with that horrible animation, you could see the producers and animators were actually doing their very best.

The amateur direction was a big issue, but said director actually had good and enthusiastic ideas for the project, which could have been good, if only they worked out...

I hope they figure out everything they need for Season 3 (after all, "The Story Continues", even without a proper preview).

Their corrections in the BluRay releases weren't half bad either (bad camera movements, bad motion in general, for characters and background, bad frame issues, terrible pale 3D animation being substituted by fully well made 2D animation... the list goes on, if anyone is curious about the results, I highly recommend checking out for yourselves).

Season 2 will probably solve some issues as well, I hope, so I'm gonna wait for its BD release as well.
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Berserk has the potential to establish a cult following despite all the flaws plaguing its production values.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:45 pm Reply with quote
So, is there a CG TV Anime that worked?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Kemono Friends Wink

Hmm, a Berserk / Kemono Friends crossover...
Tera_GX

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:01 pm Reply with quote
I stopped following most news of the new adaptation after dropping the Summer 2016 season, so there's one surprise I still don't have an answer to: how did it get a second season? (or at least how with the same studio?)

The bad animation definitely hurt its success. I was new to Berserk, didn't mind the story, I'm open to CG anime, but the extreme animation failure was the reason I dropped it to instead better spend my time on anything else. It's easy to tell others went through the same.

I've heard Berserk hyped for decades, and it looks like I'm still not about to get into it. So why did they get approved for more after having hurt it?

Last edited by Tera_GX on Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Souther

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Nice to get confirmation on the background of this anime's production. Though, the visuals and animation were only part of the issue. It was, simply, a truncated and poor execution of the source material's narrative. But whatever really, it's brought in new fans and given the manga exposure, a silver lining.

Tera_GX wrote:
I stopped following most news of the new adaptation after dropping the Summer 2017 season, so there's one surprise I still don't have an answer to: how did it get a second season? (or at least how with the same studio?)

It was scheduled for 2 seasons from the start, is most likely the answer.
Kamagor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:44 pm Reply with quote
It's sad to see how poorly handled it was. I was hoping for good stuff, just to then get one of the worst animated shows I've seen in awhile. Lets hope this is the last season of it, so that maybe down the road someone can give it another try and actually do it some justice. And perhaps it won't take another 15 years for that.
NateSelwyn25

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:29 am Reply with quote
There is no excusing the second season of Berserk other than pride on the part of the animation company. They couldn't admit they failed with the first season. Were they totally unaware of the Sailor Moon Crystal backlash? Backlash so strong it forced Toei to fire the animation director, a few team members, and I think the entire project leader? Look, for the most part, manga artwork should NOT be adapted to screen, because what works on paper doesn't always work in animation. A proper adaption of the story is ultimately more important than copying the manga creator's artstyle.

Why didn't the studio radically change what they were doing when they saw how awful most of the first season looked? Answer: Couldn't admit they fucked it up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4