• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dies irae (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:34 am Reply with quote
@Blood

The anime has adapted multiple routes,perhaps too many.

But from my understanding there are two main antagonists,each with separate goals,both focused on using the MC.The endgame is,my opinion, to reach godhood while defeating the bad guys.Also to collect all the girls,since the MC has the option of 'romancing' the majority of female characters,
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:09 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the info!
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:50 pm Reply with quote

Now that Ren has basic control over his relic, the other members of the Orden can go after him without holding back. With the second Swastika opened, the return of the missing members edges ever closer.

Kei's little explanation at the start might make more sense to viewers who watched episode #0 but haven't read the source material. This backs up the little scene between Trifa and the two returning members Bey and Malleus when they talk about their long wait finally coming to an end. Spinnet's brief cameo in this episode also helps viewers when he talks about how useless the butchering of "lesser beings" is for the ceremony that's being held in the town.

Next week's episode title should accelerate matters further. As mentioned before this series doesn't have much of a budget to work with so I'm happy if they cut corners on the conversation scenes and put most of the budget and work on the action.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:38 pm Reply with quote
He was basically told he is being strengthened so that they can kill him, that someone weak is not worth killing. Then shouldn't how strong he is be something he be very careful about? Why even explain to him that fact rather than lie that they want to get him stronger to fight "bad guys"? How was that training, she did like a minutes worth of basic explanation of levels of power, then we cut to the next afternoon where he cuts a can under no supervision, then cut to after school the next day where he has the lie that he is dating her, apparently under some excuse that she train him or something, but we have not seen anything like that. We then get a random shot of him sitting in the middle of the city somewhere, really just loitering in public. He then gets explained that the father is being looked for, and literally as they leave look to his side and sees him within eyesight, that it feels silly that two people looking for him would not have done so.

I suppose screw all of the other women who were stripped naked and strung up on the web, I thought that we saw multiple, even after the villain sliced one up. Wondering how that scene would end as whether those women were conscious after the web all disappeared. How is being able to secretly kill his friend far away good leverage, as it is not like it would really get him to stop? Why not actually take her? He could have done the whole "which one is real", and visibly threaten the real one if too dangerous, or just make him want to get stronger to rescue her, or maybe if he was wanting the main character on his side he could have said he was ordered to steal her and will let her go to show a partnership? Also, how did he scream when his head was chopped off?
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:59 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
He was basically told he is being strengthened so that they can kill him, that someone weak is not worth killing. Then shouldn't how strong he is be something he be very careful about? Why even explain to him that fact rather than lie that they want to get him stronger to fight "bad guys"? How was that training, she did like a minutes worth of basic explanation of levels of power, then we cut to the next afternoon where he cuts a can under no supervision, then cut to after school the next day where he has the lie that he is dating her, apparently under some excuse that she train him or something, but we have not seen anything like that. We then get a random shot of him sitting in the middle of the city somewhere, really just loitering in public. He then gets explained that the father is being looked for, and literally as they leave look to his side and sees him within eyesight, that it feels silly that two people looking for him would not have done so.

I suppose screw all of the other women who were stripped naked and strung up on the web, I thought that we saw multiple, even after the villain sliced one up. Wondering how that scene would end as whether those women were conscious after the web all disappeared. How is being able to secretly kill his friend far away good leverage, as it is not like it would really get him to stop? Why not actually take her? He could have done the whole "which one is real", and visibly threaten the real one if too dangerous, or just make him want to get stronger to rescue her, or maybe if he was wanting the main character on his side he could have said he was ordered to steal her and will let her go to show a partnership? Also, how did he scream when his head was chopped off?

Ren is basically "It" in a battle royale game of Tag and he can't pass on the "It" role to anyone else. If he dies too early because he wasn't up to the task, the ceremony ends since no one else in the city bar the participants are worth killing to open up the swastikas and all of them are quite unwilling to go after each other.

This episode is unfortunately where much of the material from source has to be compressed or eliminated entirely to fit the air-time. Therefore events like spoiler[ Kei slicing through Ren's hand again and again until he could manifest the first stage of his powers, Ren's more frequent visits to the beach to talk to Marie and her background which help increase control over the relic, the background to him falling asleep in the middle of the street, the battle scene between Spinne and Ren playing out differently in the source material with most of the assembled girls already corpses, a more in-depth explanation as to how the souls of those killed by the Circle give the participants Highlander-like immortality which allows them to speak normally even after their head has been sliced off ] etc. can't really be shown in their entirety. Day #4 is particularly long because of Kei and Spinne so the choice was made to just focus on the two of them and keeping as much continuity as they could for the rest of the day.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:06 am Reply with quote
Yet this is the anime, and saying that there are explanations in the source material does not excuse the problems in the anime.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:37 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Yet this is the anime, and saying that there are explanations in the source material does not excuse the problems in the anime.

With infinite resources from crowdfunding, they would have loved to expand each day beyond a single episode. Given the constraints they had, something has to give.

Not every adaptation of a visual novel series is going to have the budget or luxury of time like Ufotable Type-Moon works.

Not an entirely unexpected reaction from casual viewers nonetheless.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:21 am Reply with quote
Still does not matter. Whether something is fully following the source material is even not that important if what it does show fails to work within the medium it is within. If cutting things out to fit the important beats in fails to make it properly cohesive, then it should have considered changing some fundamental parts so it does make sense.

Quote:
Not an entirely unexpected reaction from casual viewers nonetheless.

What does this mean?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm not entirely sure why, but even with all its flaws, I'm kind of enjoying this title. What would be kind of cool to know is out of the original 13 members of the Round Table, who is dead, who is missing and who has been replaced by a newer version?
bassgs435

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm not entirely sure why, but even with all its flaws, I'm kind of enjoying this title. What would be kind of cool to know is out of the original 13 members of the Round Table, who is dead, who is missing and who has been replaced by a newer version?

Dead: spoiler[Beatrice, was replaced by Kei]
Missing: spoiler[Schreiber (eyepatch kid), Eleonore (red haired woman with half her face burned), Machina (Black haired man in Reinhard's castle at the end of the episode), Reinhard and Mercurius]

[Edit]: added spoilers, just in case. Errinundra.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:08 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

What does this mean?

I expect the casual viewer in charge of reviewing this series on this website to make the same points and more. Nothing more, nothing less.

Blood- wrote:

Only one member has changed and it was stated in the episode. Leonhart is her replacement. The "missing" members are shown in this episode as an entourage led by Heydrich, there are six of them in all (one member has a proxy in this battle i.e. Fujii Ren)
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Ah, see I thought that Fujii Ren was a replacement for a member like Leonhart is. I didn't realize he was a proxy for another member. But didn't Leonhart say that some of the 13 are actually dead, not just missing?
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Ah, see I thought that Fujii Ren was a replacement for a member like Leonhart is. I didn't realize he was a proxy for another member. But didn't Leonhart say that some of the 13 are actually dead, not just missing?

She's replacing a deceased member. She made it quite clear during her long spiel with Ren at the start of the episode.

As for the proxy, it's stated somewhat obliquely by the circle when they're debating on what to do with the weakling Ren.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Here is a direct quote of what Leonhart said to Fujii:

"Several of us are dead or gone, so some have been replaced and some seats are unfilled. I took the place of the fifth about a decade ago."

Now, this could be a problem in the translation, but I have to depend on the translation since I don't speak Japanese. When she says "some" have been replaced, that indicates more than one member has been replaced. Also, she only said she "took the place" of a member, but that doesn't tell me if that member is dead or simply missing unless there was a reference to the fact that a member has to be dead in order to be replaced and not merely missing.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Never played the game, but episode 4 was a huge step in the right direction. Stuff is finally happening, and the plot's actually starting to make sense.

Last edited by v1cious on Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4