• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Worst School Teachers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Ah, Kimura. The oddly lovable predator who absolutely terrified the Australian classification board. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lebrel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yoshiyuki Terada/Kaho Mizuki (Card Captor Sakura) Mr. Terada and Ms. Mizuki are another variation on Mr. Kimura, except they aren't played for laughs. The characters' creation was a misguided attempt by CLAMP to build on the show's theme of different kinds of love, which apparently meant glazing over two teacher-student relationships

Eh, if you piled up all the shoujo manga (and occasional josei manga) featuring teacher-student romances, you could make a pretty impressive play fort. It's pretty much the most-common "older guy" scenario. It's not going to go away until culture stops telling girls they're supposed to be attracted to older men in positions of authority.

I'd be more concerned with the teachers who want to kill/torture/psychologically abuse their students, use them for experiments or cannon fodder, or, more realistically, just ignore obvious signs of abuse or neglect.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
What about Mahoromatic's Saori Shikijou and DearS's Mitsuka Yoshimine who played the oversexed teachers within their respective titles?

Yes, they're terrible, but ultimately played for laughs--since neither actually does anything about it, thereby avoiding squick territory. Also a case could be made for Ms. Shikijou given the narrative: with Mahoro having only a year to live as a person and not a combat android, she has little time to make the relationships we take for granted, including rivals.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:50 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
Ah, Kimura. The oddly lovable predator who absolutely terrified the Australian classification board. Laughing

Can someone elaborate? There's something this American is obviously missing...
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There's no real rhyme or reason behind his motivation to kill children. The manga gives him more comprehensive motivation, explaining Gaku's relationship with his abusive older brother, but apparently just witnessing a hamster's struggle to survive drowning causes him to finally snap.

Not having read the manga, I didn't get the sense that the hamster was what made him 'snap', but had started blossoming an inner sadistic side he harbored that only grew as he got older. If that still doesn't make sense, how much sense can anyone make from someone who lives to kill for pleasure?
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Also, Chisa Yukizome from Danganronpa 3.

Not at all, I'm sorry but when spoiler[a key mechanic of the story is mind control and you come under it] then you can't really blame the person for that. [/quote]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:26 pm Reply with quote
lebrel wrote:
It's not going to go away until culture stops telling girls they're supposed to be attracted to older men in positions of authority.

Well, that's not a culture thing so much as it is an evolution thing. Men are attracted to younger girls since they are more viable for producing offspring, and girls are attracted to older men since they can provide for them better. While humans have the capacity to overcome such animal instincts some people just don't.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Ouran High School Dropout wrote:
CatSword wrote:

Australia and New Zealand are both considerably anti-lolicon, in both 3D and 2D.
lebrel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
lebrel wrote:
It's not going to go away until culture stops telling girls they're supposed to be attracted to older men in positions of authority.

Well, that's not a culture thing so much as it is an evolution thing. Men are attracted to younger girls since they are more viable for producing offspring, and girls are attracted to older men since they can provide for them better. While humans have the capacity to overcome such animal instincts some people just don't.

That is a very common argument as seen on the internet, but in terms of actual biology it lies somewhere between "so oversimplified it's wrong" and "just plain wrong". Most internet-denizens who talk about evolutionary psychology are men's-rights / PUA types, and learning evo-psych from those guys is like learning paleontology from young-earth Creationists; all you'll get is misinformation. There are actual books by actual scientists out there if you want to know about it.
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
Ouran High School Dropout wrote:
CatSword wrote:

Australia and New Zealand are both considerably anti-lolicon, in both 3D and 2D.

I was specifically referring to the fact that in Australia, Azumanga Daioh was rated as MA15+ only because of Kimura.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
^
Saori is still a legitimate candidate, though.

Still, it's hard to argue for her being put above any of those who actually made the list. The five that I'm familiar with (sans ERASED and CCS) are all professionally reprehensible.

true, but after the BS that the teacher from scum's wish did, I beg to differ. its more or less the reason why most people considered the series as the worst of the year.

though I would definitely put glen radarz from Akashic Records of Bastard Magic Instructor in this list cause when it comes to being a massive prick sensei , he fits the bill. sure he's not as god awful as the teachers from scum's wish , CCS (its no wonder touya at times gives off the vibe that he prefers to be with men and NOT women) or ERASED! those are abominations that should never have kids let alone teach them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Running Wild

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Why isn't the main character of Kodomo no Jikan in there? Holy shit what a sick fudge that dude was. That manga was one of the few instances I can think of where it got licensed and then canceled because because it was so bad.

Apparently someone else licensed it for a digital release, and even had a Kickstarter to release it in a physical format?

Only thing good about that manga was the cute chubby teacher.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:54 pm Reply with quote
huh imo Gakuhō Asano while he had some horrible teaching methods he in his own way wanted what has best for as many possible students as possible.
To me he was a severely misguided and delusioned teacher and he just found that this was the most effective way of keeping a high level of standards while ensuring that his students, the superior ones he taught would not ever be taken advantage of in their society.
Course it meant that they'd be the ones doing the abusing tho...
that and i would not want to go to his school cause i know i'd get thrown into class E.
unless Koro-sensei is there too sign me up yesterday.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:51 am Reply with quote
lebrel wrote:
That is a very common argument as seen on the internet, but in terms of actual biology it lies somewhere between "so oversimplified it's wrong" and "just plain wrong". Most internet-denizens who talk about evolutionary psychology are men's-rights / PUA types, and learning evo-psych from those guys is like learning paleontology from young-earth Creationists; all you'll get is misinformation. There are actual books by actual scientists out there if you want to know about it.

Actually they teach that in actual University courses that I paid for and attended classes on campus and everything. But this stuff isn't an exact science. All you can do is look at trends and suggest possible explanations.

Not sure what basis there is to claim anything cultural is behind it, though. As girls who get older "sugar daddies" and guys who get young "trophy wives" are socially looked down upon.

Running Wild wrote:
Why isn't the main character of Kodomo no Jikan in there? Holy shit what a sick fudge that dude was. That manga was one of the few instances I can think of where it got licensed and then canceled because because it was so bad.

No, you're thinking of Reiji, Rin's cousin/step-dad who was all Hikaru Genji for her. In the anime at least the main teacher showed no interest in her.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:52 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Nozomu from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei must count too. Not only does he keep trying to suicide in front of his class, he also ends up spoiler[marrying half of his students]

Wait, what? Pretty sure the English manga release was cancelled before it got to that part. Spoilers, please! Very Happy

I'm wondering if you could make a list with 7 *actually great* teachers from anime. Onizuka doesn't deserve the title, as someone else mentioned, he only started teaching to lust after high school girls. Koro-sensei comes to mind, and then I'm drawing a blank...

Vaisaga wrote:
lebrel wrote:

Actually they teach that in actual University courses that I paid for and attended classes on campus and everything. But this stuff isn't an exact science. All you can do is look at trends and suggest possible explanations.

Not sure what basis there is to claim anything cultural is behind it, though. As girls who get older "sugar daddies" and guys who get young "trophy wives" are socially looked down upon.

Ehhh...barely. Sure, people grumble about it sometimes, but there are still way more men who marry women decades their junior than vice-versa, and, especially if they're rich and famous, no one bats an eye.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3