• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Girls' Last Tour

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The premise is that there's been some sort of world-ending apocalypse war, and now our heroines wander the wasteland as the only combatants left in each other's company
I didn't get the least bit of an impression they were soldiers of any sort, especially since they don't quite understand the idea behind "war". They seem to be wearing and riding military surplus, but that's another thing entirely.
Edl01

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:50 pm Reply with quote
I skipped out on the first episode because I wasn't sure it was a show for me since I don't often enjoy post-apocalyptic literature, but I'm so glad I gave into it a chance and watched the first two episodes because I love this show!

This has to be one of the most unique take on the post-apocalypse genre I've encountered in my(admittedly limited) experience in the genre. Most series' it are about rebuilding society or defeating some vague enemy that somehow represent human nature(usually zombies), but Girls' Last Tour is so relaxed and seems more concerned just following it's main characters chilling out than having them attempt to reclaim this wonderful, desolate world. It's the most comfy apocalypse I've ever seen.

It also just happens to back that great premise up with gorgeous backgrounds, adorable character acting and an incredible sense of atmosphere that surrounds the entire series with a sense of soothing melancholy. Both episodes flew by for me and I hope the rest of the series builds on it's strengths to make something special. So far this is my favorite anime this season, and I'm intrigued to know where it goes next!

Also is it just me who is reminded of Humanity Has Declined by this show for some reason? Sans the comedy OFC.
SaneSavantElla

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:13 am Reply with quote
Echii wrote:
And what is worse is that Kino's Journey - the Beautiful World- got also much lower rating in this website despite having 10x better writing and story than this mediocre show

It's only a hunch... but I think Kino no Tabi would have been evaluated more favorably if the 2003 anime didn't exist for comparison... Confused
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:39 am Reply with quote
While Magus's Bride has captured a lot of attention this season, right now I'd pick Girls' Last Tour as anime of the season. I've never encountered a program with this type of tonality. I avoided the show from reading the description, but it turns out to be remarkably light-hearted for such a desolate premise. I also have to give credit to Inori Minase and Yurika Kubo for their excellent performances and obvious chemistry together. Somehow Made in Abyss escaped its "prison" on Amazon Strike and became widely acknowledged as one of 2017's best shows. Let's hope Girls' Last Tour can do the same.
sourpatchthekid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Of all the wonderful anime this season, Girls Last Tour is probably my favorite. After watching an episode all i want to do is watch more
Niello

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:12 pm Reply with quote
It's great to see the more niche manga getting outstanding adaptations (Land of the Lustrous and Girl's Last Tour), though a shame The Ancient Magus Bride doesn't seem to be getting the same treatment despite being vastly more popular.

I'm in love with the scenery and atmosphere of this anime, it is pleasing to look forward to from week to week.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3 was very solid in my eyes and pretty much the one to convince me that this anime has also become one of my favorites for the fall season. It’s in my top 3 currently airing anime that I enjoy all of in almost equal degrees for different reasons along with The Ancient Magus Bride and Land of the Lustrous. Excited to see more from each one of them. Very Happy
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I suppose it was inevitable, but introducing a third character did take away something since I vastly prefer the back-and-forth chemistry between Chito and Yuuri. Not that I dislike Kanazawa, but it's for the best that he went his own way.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:35 pm Reply with quote
i very nearly stopped watching after the second episode. Watching the two girls driving around and goofing off in a post-apocalyptic world seemed like purely a gimmick to me. I only watched the third episode because Gabriella said it passed her "three episode rule." Fortunately, the addition of the third character caused the show to become a little more serious so it felt like there was a point to watching it. Too bad he is gone, as I am worried the show will revert to just showing these two girls bonking each other on the head or nomming on things. I'll probably check out the 4th episode just to see whether there is a plot progressing forward, but if it does revert back to that aimless goofball stuff, I won't be able to continue.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:39 am Reply with quote
@ChibiKangaroo

" two girls bonking each other on the head or nomming on things"-and taking baths

The girls' antics are a core part of this iyashikei,a comparison of how the girls handle living vs the adults sort of thing.

Stick to your plan of "I'll probably check out the 4th episode".

Or read the recent manga review which recently came out-Fair warning for anime folks,without meaning to, the review gives an outline of up coming episodes.

animenewsnetwork.com/review/girls-last-tour/gn-2/.121802
hack5

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:52 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
i very nearly stopped watching after the second episode. Watching the two girls driving around and goofing off in a post-apocalyptic world seemed like purely a gimmick to me. I only watched the third episode because Gabriella said it passed her "three episode rule." Fortunately, the addition of the third character caused the show to become a little more serious so it felt like there was a point to watching it. Too bad he is gone, as I am worried the show will revert to just showing these two girls bonking each other on the head or nomming on things. I'll probably check out the 4th episode just to see whether there is a plot progressing forward, but if it does revert back to that aimless goofball stuff, I won't be able to continue.

I agree its like they think that's all girls do is dick around,the show is basically CGDCT in a post-apocalyptic scenario so don't expect much
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Really, what else is there to do but go insane? Other than Kanazawa(who's survived on making maps), we're not shown any traces of modern humanity, so it's not likely they had specific destination in mind(or even available) until they found the fish.
TichoSlicer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:06 pm Reply with quote
its funny that i didn't see anyone talking about the camera's date setting, 3230.08.06... ;x
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:04 pm Reply with quote
From the first episode to the fourth,whether the lower levels or the upper levels,it's all been the same vast mega-city.

Quote:
TichoSliceri ts funny that i didn't see anyone talking about the camera's date setting, 3230.08.06... ;x

Well good catch,and to answer your question,you were the first to comment on this fourth review...woot Wink
Silent-Ninja

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Gave Girl's Last Tour the "3 episode rule test" and didn't click with me until the third episode. Akin to Princess Principal from Summer 2017, I consider the show to be the surprise of the season. Set in a post-apocalyptic world, it presents a beautiful tonal contrast between the light-hearted interactions between the two main girls and the world's underlying somber tones. To be honest though, I find the setting to be far more interesting than the characters themselves. Now, that isn't to say the characters are bad; in fact, they are well-written and they bounce off each other really well. We learn so much about them through their character acting. I just don't find them appealing as characters from a personal-tastes standpoint.

With regards to the fourth episode, no other time could be better for its arrival as we approach closer to Halloween. Those eerie statues gave me the creeps, further heightening the world's desolation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10