• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 1st Ever Male Precure Debuts in Kirakira ☆ Precure a la Mode

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I think we all know Cure Gorilla was the first male Precure.

-Stuart Smith
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:35 pm Reply with quote
This.... may have been a mistake. I have nothing against a male precure myself, but the last time they tried to add a male main character was in HappinessCharge... and that did not go over well.

Let me try and explain. The current precure franchise has 2 demographics.

The first one is the intended demographic: little girls. Little girls are not going to care that there is a male precure. At the same time introducing a male precure is not going to bring in little boys to watch the show. Especially not THIS Precure season. Why? Because this season did away with literally all of the hand-to-hand combat that Precure was actually pretty famous for. And what do little boys mostly like to watch? Dragon Ball, basically. So I really doubt a move like this will bring in little boys.

The second one is the unexpected demographic of which I am a part of: grow ass men and women. But it's mostly men. Thing is this season kind of put a lot of negative
emotions in the hearts of this demographic because of the removal of the action. Also, male fans in Japan despise any attempts at inserting a main male character in Precure. Even more so if they try and go for a love interest. They've actually done this once before in Yes! Precure 5 with one of the fairies, but the reaction was pretty negative. They tried again in HappinessCharge where the reaction was worse. Though to be fair the second attempt was very poorly written.

So yeah... I have no idea what TOEI is doing with this season of Precure. Hopefully they go back to the way previous seasons were: more action and less romance.

BTW... he's not a Precure. Nowhere does it say he's a Precure. He just looks like a good version of his previous human battle mode. So that means that, yes, my rant was pointless. But you still read it.

Last edited by DmonHiro on Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:45 pm Reply with quote
1.Screw ANN for putting a spoiler right in the headline. The warning does nothing when you'll see the fairy's picture BEFORE getting there (and realistically, if you're watching the series there's only ONE relevant young male character in the show, so...)
2.Thank god it's not actual news but fan speculation
NateSelwyn25

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:47 pm Reply with quote
I hope this character is popular, I'd really like to see the "magical boys" genre(popularized by Masami Kuramada's Saint Seiya) get a revival.
Superfield

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:56 pm Reply with quote
While I am... conflicted over the prospect of male Precure, that actually isn't my main concern. We are faced with two main possibilities.

The first is that, as has been stated, NOWHERE does it say that this character has become a Precure; all we know is that he is back from his half-season power nap, is allied with the heroines and has powers. He could potentially become akin to the mysterious guy with the hearts from HeartCatch who saved Cure Blossom a few times while she was getting the hang of it, or a more active and powerful version of Kanata from Go! Princess. I would have absolutely no problem with this approach - an ally, but not a Cure nor a member of the main team.

The other is that he is a Cure and is a part of the team just as much as Whip, Custard, Gelato, Macaron, Chocolat and Parfait. That is a HUGE problem, because A. this brings the total number of team members up to an unprecedented 7 and B. this season has anywhere from 8-11 episodes left in its run: it's far too late in the game to be making a move this major (notice how both of these things have nothing to do with him being a dude).

I've always had a problem with the Five-Man Band seasons of Precure (Yes! 5, Smile, and now KiraKira). They aren't doomed to be bad, but they are immediately compromised and have to work extra hard to make up for it. I just think 5 main heroines right out the gate is too much, especially when you introduce another halfway through. By having so many that each need to show up in every episode in some way, it crowds out side characters (Kaoru-chan and Ban-kun were amazing additions to Fresh and HeartCatch) and stretches character focus thin; it took a month and a half for all of them to get their crystal just so that they could get to the new finisher, just as an example. And now they're going to introduce ANOTHER with less than three months left? No, he's not a brand-new character and his backstory has already been covered, but this is a major change for his character and the group dynamic, and that requires time for the audience and the characters to adjust, time the show doesn't have.

If they go with option 1, I'm A-OK. It reminds me of Cure Tender from HappinessCharge, and that was handled fine - heck, it's very reminiscent of the end of Fresh. If they go with option 2, it'd be the most short-sighted move I've seen this series make, and that includes not foreshadowing Cure Ace in any way.

And shame on ANN for reporting this as if him being a Cure is confirmed fact.
AkaRed

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:29 pm Reply with quote
NateSelwyn25 wrote:
I hope this character is popular, I'd really like to see the "magical boys" genre(popularized by Masami Kuramada's Saint Seiya) get a revival.

Saint Seiya magical boy arrrhheemmm what NO Saint Seiya is doesn't fall into the Magical Boy genre please !

This is a plain and clear Shonen Nekketsu with Mythologie and ARMOR hurrh.

As for this news this character is just the equivalent of a Bangai Heroes for Super Sentai.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:41 pm Reply with quote
I do not know what the heck ANN is thinking making such ridiculous news without citing any official sources and causing inconvenience. I may get into trouble for saying this but this is just unprofessional of them.

As for this Precure issue, I am praying that other series like Love Live and Girls und Panzer does not do something similar to this.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:42 pm Reply with quote
jet_ wrote:
He's not a Precure.
He's listed on the fairy page on the website and they don't call him a Precure anywhere.
It's just fans that are calling him a Precure (in the very Otakomu link you used as a source for this article).
There have been several male characters in Precure that had powers so it does seem like people are jumping to the conclusion that he is a Precure rather quickly. Toei may very well decide to add a male Precure in the same way that the female Saiyans are a big part of Dragonball Super but it could be a test to see how people would respond to it.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:04 pm Reply with quote
A bishounen Precure? Huh, that's new. I wonder if they're going to do the whole gender changing thing like how the handled the Sailor Starlights in the old Sailor Moon anime...
Sayuri Lapis

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Superfield wrote:
While I am... conflicted over the prospect of male Precure, that actually isn't my main concern. We are faced with two main possibilities.

The first is that, as has been stated, NOWHERE does it say that this character has become a Precure; all we know is that he is back from his half-season power nap, is allied with the heroines and has powers. He could potentially become akin to the mysterious guy with the hearts from HeartCatch who saved Cure Blossom a few times while she was getting the hang of it, or a more active and powerful version of Kanata from Go! Princess. I would have absolutely no problem with this approach - an ally, but not a Cure nor a member of the main team.

The other is that he is a Cure and is a part of the team just as much as Whip, Custard, Gelato, Macaron, Chocolat and Parfait. That is a HUGE problem, because A. this brings the total number of team members up to an unprecedented 7 and B. this season has anywhere from 8-11 episodes left in its run: it's far too late in the game to be making a move this major (notice how both of these things have nothing to do with him being a dude).

I've always had a problem with the Five-Man Band seasons of Precure (Yes! 5, Smile, and now KiraKira). They aren't doomed to be bad, but they are immediately compromised and have to work extra hard to make up for it. I just think 5 main heroines right out the gate is too much, especially when you introduce another halfway through. By having so many that each need to show up in every episode in some way, it crowds out side characters (Kaoru-chan and Ban-kun were amazing additions to Fresh and HeartCatch) and stretches character focus thin; it took a month and a half for all of them to get their crystal just so that they could get to the new finisher, just as an example. And now they're going to introduce ANOTHER with less than three months left? No, he's not a brand-new character and his backstory has already been covered, but this is a major change for his character and the group dynamic, and that requires time for the audience and the characters to adjust, time the show doesn't have.

If they go with option 1, I'm A-OK. It reminds me of Cure Tender from HappinessCharge, and that was handled fine - heck, it's very reminiscent of the end of Fresh. If they go with option 2, it'd be the most short-sighted move I've seen this series make, and that includes not foreshadowing Cure Ace in any way.

And shame on ANN for reporting this as if him being a Cure is confirmed fact.

I need a source for this. Can you give it to me please? Not trying to be rude, but it just seems a little...off.
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:22 pm Reply with quote
It's one crazy twist that I never expected to happen in the history of PreCure.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm kinda amazed people are that freaked out (in a negative way) by the gender of a character in an animated show. Aren't we still in 2017?
Aeikozz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Prince Kanata wasn't a cure.
And again He hasn't been deemed a cure either.

He's more like Tuxedo Mask if anything.

Jesus.. first doctor who now this...

I guess it should be quite okay for me to become a Valkyrie now.
Break Xerxes

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:08 pm Reply with quote
He's not a PreCure he's more like Tuxedo Mask. Also he's not the first male character to help the PreCure out but from what I've seen he is more popular than the other male characters from PreCure, he's actually my favorite character from this season.
CardamonPastel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:49 pm Reply with quote
I've never had any prior interest to Precure but I think I might check it out because of this. A male precure? I hope they confirm that he is in fact a precure. Shame people are so crunchy and can't accept a little change. He was probably added as incentive to make more young male viewers comfortable with watching the show and theres nothing wrong with that. Not a part of this fandom but a lot of you commenters are incredibly immature about it lol its just a character. Not like the whole franchise is going to go to hell because of it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5