• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Hollywood One Piece TV Series Will Start With East Blue Arc

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:08 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
I wonder if they will revamp Luffys Devil Fruit power, because I can not see that looking anything but beyond silly. Unless they have it like it is later on, with the steam and the attacks so fast it looks more like a steam piston hit someone rather than a stretched out arm.

Hey, we've gotten Mr. Fantastic in at least three movies now, and no one complains that it looks too silly, even though Reed's powers, in how he can remain stretched out for long periods of time, would look sillier than Luffy's.

If I recall correctly though, Eiichiro Oda said, in one of the earlier question-and-answer columns in the manga volume releases, that he chose for Luffy to have stretchy powers so it would look silly and whimsical no matter how serious the situation would get. In other words, Oda views One Piece as a comedy, just one with a lot of dramatic moments
Oh Isee, I haven't seen those. I do own the first 60 or so volumes, but it has been a longtime since I read through them.
Re:SOUL

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:08 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
Where else was it going to take place?

Because it's impossible to create a new origin story or use a different arc to start the story?

The only thing that worries me is ITV's attachment as British drama hardly has a large budget or even large amounts of CGI; America does that. Perhaps this simply means that they have the distribution rights for the UK which is certainly interesting.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:33 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

Betting pool's open for when we get the US Naruto and Sword Art Online series....

Both of which could be done fairly well if treated right. Especially SAO. For the "stuck in the fantasy world" idea Westworld is already doing well on HBO. I think some of the varius jutsu's in Naruto could give Live Action some trouble. Much as OP will no doubt look awkward in Live Action no matter who does it just given the things the characters do in the show with their abilities. SAO however I think could be very doable. Honestly I think the ideal situation for an anime adaptation would be a show on HBO. So far movie adaptations have been much more miss than hit. I personally thought GITS was fine for what it was. Forget the source material and just take the movie as it's own thing and it's not bad. It's not great, but it's not Dragon Ball. So if the movie route won't work head to the tv route but let HBO do it. They at least seem to put the time, money, and effort into their shows to make them work.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:42 pm Reply with quote
I will be very surprised if this made at all... and it will I will be extremely surprised if it get passed season 1.

My only hope that it will at least keep a comedic tone, like a sort of parody of all these high budget fantasy shows... well after not sucking that is...
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:00 pm Reply with quote
This is gonna be shit. For starters, how are they gonna create the effects for Luffy?
oblivious247

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Don't know why you all worrying when this don't even got a pilot order yet. I doubt this gets picked up.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:45 pm Reply with quote
SHOCKING NEWS: They're starting the story...at the start of the story. Shocked
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:40 pm Reply with quote
leafy: Popeye underperformed, but wasn’t a flop.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Not necessarily from a storytelling standpoint but from a box office standpoint, the live-action Transformers movies are the only anime-based Hollywood movies that really did well. It has a few billion at the global box office.
InimitableUman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:59 am Reply with quote
The guy who was announced as the director of the Naruto movie almost exactly a year ago, Michael Gracey, actually has a new movie that's about to come out. I wonder if Naruto is still even a thing he's intending to do, or what.

Meanwhile, this guy is over here somehow meeting Oda and promising the moon. It really is funny. I wish him the best of luck.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:20 am Reply with quote
Otaku-sempai wrote:
theNightster wrote:
first Death note now One Piece, leave anime alone Hollywood

It's a little too late for such complaints considering how many manga and anime have already been adapted by Hollywood. Next up is Battle Angel Alita.

Not to mention, this was Cameron's long-limbo'ed idea from the early 90's, back when he was proud of being literally one of the only people in Hollywood who'd HEARD of manga. Well, a manga, anyway...
Whether Francis Ford Coppola will finally beat him with that I've-heard-of-manga-too "Mai the Psychic Girl" movie, some gave up hope on that back in the early 90's.

And then....there is the Akira movie. Confused
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:47 am Reply with quote
Normally,I wouldn't really have a problem with an American version of something like this,but here I kinda do. And,it isn't because I don't think Hollywood isn't capable of doing good stuff. It is,most of the time. It's just,I can't see a live-action version of "One Piece" ever working,whether it be done in Japan or America. Animation is the best realm for this show,not live-action. But,I might be surprised and this might actually work. But,then I'd be surprised if Hollywood wanted to do it's own live-action version of "Full Metal Alchemist." And,I doubt there are a lot of people who'd want that to happen.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:32 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
This is gonna be shit. For starters, how are they gonna create the effects for Luffy?

Easy, go watch the Flash. They introduced Plastic Man / Elongated Man, who has powers identical to Luffy and while it looks silly, it actually isn't cartoonish at all. So it can be done.

Now the question is with the rest of the cast. Oda gave some defining looks to his various characters, so the question should be if they will be normalized, kept true, or a hybrid (meaning they get a whole new look?)
robertbaldie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:03 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
SHOCKING NEWS: They're starting the story...at the start of the story. Shocked

You'd think it would be a no brainer, but it is Hollywood adapting an anime after all.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:36 am Reply with quote
First question - Who would air this?

Is the world really ready for HBO’s One Piece?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2