• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Vice & Luna - Zeitgeist Captor Sakura

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nodz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:19 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Is Sakura getting an abortion, or putting down Kero, ‘Cus he’s sick?

Are you serious? Why would Sakura get an abortion in a vet clinic?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Because she's poor, apparently.
Wooga

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:23 am Reply with quote
But... isn't Kero magical and immortal...?
Coup d'État

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:30 am Reply with quote
I don't understand the meaning of this strip at all. I know the Card Captor part, but never read any Vice & Luna, so maybe I just don't get it?

Can someone explain it to me like I were 5?

Kero is sick and needs treatment, but Tomoyo thinks it's too expansive, Sakura on the other hand want's it done no matter what. So, in order to get money, they make a new season of CCS, and it's horrible, because it's old and sickly and it shows? And as a result, our elves are shocked by how bad it is?
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:47 am Reply with quote
Wooga wrote:
But... isn't Kero magical and immortal...?

And isn't Tomoyo the scion of a wealthy family? Did her mother's business go under, or what?

That aside, the show using the original CCS season 1 OP music was truly inspired. Cool
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:51 am Reply with quote
Coup d'État wrote:
I don't understand the meaning of this strip at all. I know the Card Captor part, but never read any Vice & Luna, so maybe I just don't get it?

Can someone explain it to me like I were 5?

Kero is sick and needs treatment, but Tomoyo thinks it's too expansive, Sakura on the other hand want's it done no matter what. So, in order to get money, they make a new season of CCS, and it's horrible, because it's old and sickly and it shows? And as a result, our elves are shocked by how bad it is?

I can see this particular strip interpreted in more than one way. Your theory may be as valid as anyone's. Another could be that certain things are best left alone...
Scalfin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
[it's not an abortion because you don't take your sick pet to your medical appointments.]

Nodz wrote:
GATSU wrote:
Is Sakura getting an abortion, or putting down Kero, ‘Cus he’s sick?

Are you serious? Why would Sakura get an abortion in a vet clinic?

I'm starting to think I've made a few incorrect medical decisions in my life.

Anyway, it's interesting how "coming out of retirement" plots are seen as worrying sequels in anime when they're a standard premise in western media.
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Like they always said, expect the unexpected.

...Yes, I'm gonna keep making jokes about the godawful Nelvana dub until I die, because I'm a jackass like that.
Aki_Leaves

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Did Perry get written out? I feel like he hasn't been around in a long time and I really liked his bro antics with Vice.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Nodz: My bad. I imagined it was one of those family planning places with children’s drawings for couples and women who choose to keep the baby. That, and Kero was providing moral support. Embarassed
WingzemonX

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Mmm... I don't get it :/ What is the Joke exactly? Question
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:01 pm Reply with quote
WingzemonX wrote:
Mmm... I don't get it :/ What is the Joke exactly? Question

Basically if you follow a character's life for too long inevitably all you have to work with is their mundane and often depressing daily lives.

Also maybe I'm the only one, but I'm offended by the implication that Sakura ditched Syaoran and hooked up with Tomoyo. Not cool, guys...
WingzemonX

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Basically if you follow a character's life for too long inevitably all you have to work with is their mundane and often depressing daily lives.

Well, I understand that, but my problem is that I do not understand in this comic what are exactly that "mundane and often depressing daily lives". The idea is not very clear... Are they going to have to go back to work (make another season) to pay for Kero's treatment? Or is it a parallel that while we adults are still watching this series like kids, the adult life of the characters could not be so happy? And why would Kero get sick if he is a magical creature of many, many years and not a pet? And are they there for Kero and are they really talking about the bill for their treatment? There are many things you have to speculate, and as the people say, if you have to explain it, it's not a very good joke.

Separate topic, I support the couple of Sakura and Tomoyo, I like it a lot <3 . But I'm not 100% if that's the implication here.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:56 pm Reply with quote
"I don't think we can afford..." and "That's us" is pretty telling.
meruru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Also maybe I'm the only one, but I'm offended by the implication that Sakura ditched Syaoran and hooked up with Tomoyo. Not cool, guys...

I'll be honest, I don't get it. This is a parody comic? It's a given they'll do stuff that conflicts with canon?

And I agree with WingzemonX. I feel like whatever idea they were trying to convey with this strip, it didn't come across very clearly. That multiple people have asked for explanations or have come up with multiple interpretations reflects that. I've been equally mystified by it myself. While I eventually came up with a theory of what they were trying to do, I'm still not entirely sure.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3