• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: KOKKOKU

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Showsni

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:56 am Reply with quote
Since the spectres from the dead thugs sought out members of the Sagawa family, can we assume the spectre from the third dead thug is going to inhabit Juri's sister? I wonder if all their family members have special stasis powers; Juri can dispel spectres and grandpa can teleport, so will we see other powers for the rest of the family?
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:06 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I've been trying to think through the stopped-time concept. If grandpa really can stop time, it must happen everywhere on earth (and maybe throughout the universe?). Otherwise the fact that events in Tokyo had not advanced would become international news. One theory I've read suggests that the jellyfish accelerate the people they enter so much that they perceive the world as stopped. I find this the most plausible explanation so far...
I think you have hit the nail. In relativity, the world's time wouldn't have slowed, it must be the individual's proper time that is fast (although relativity only allows for the reverse situation and requires motion). Also, if proper time were truly zero, movement wouldn't be possible, so proper time must be a multiple of the world's time, ~100x would do based on the phenomenology shown. Light still travels so fast in that scenario that it arrives almost instantaneously from it's source so accelerated people would still be visible to everyone else, but objects would effectively have 100x their normal weight so forget about moving anything heavier than a pound or so. So, yeah, we have magic here.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:49 pm Reply with quote
In a way it has to be slow-time. Think of the Heralds/Handlers, they wouldn't just "appear" in stopped time, they would be creatures that exist entirely in slow-time. Living at a millionth of a second for days, weeks, months, years, decades, just waiting until someone enters stasis again and matches their regular speed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:09 am Reply with quote
If I were in Gramps place, I'd be Herald-food for the intensity of my urge to kill Papa. Actually, I didn't quite understand that whole scene. Didn't any of them notice the guys openly sneaking up on them? If Papa doesn't believe in the offered deal, why is he shouting to the rooftops so they can easily be found (i.e., if they weren't already nearly on top of them)?

If they were afraid of Juri, then why did they suddenly attack? I should probably re-watch it, but I'm not up for feeling enraged at Papa again.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Damn, this show is so cool. An eppie just whizzes by for me. I start watching and bam! before I know it, it's over and I'm jonesing for next week.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
If I were in Gramps place, I'd be Herald-food for the intensity of my urge to kill Papa.

Well, the Heralds definitely seem to feel the same.Laughing But while i agree that he's annoying as hell, his....amorality (for lack of a better word) could actually make for some interesting plot developments. I don't think he would be in danger of turning into a Herald out of guilt after killing someone...speaking of which, i'm not sure i completey get the "laws" of this world, but we are probably not really meant to (yet).
jrockfreak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:16 am Reply with quote
im mixed on the show, I cant really say I enjoy it and I considered dropping it a few times but im sort of curious to see what the end game is so I keep watching, I just feel like the plot doesn't have a clear goal and they haven't even explained the jellyfish or why she can expel them
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:15 am Reply with quote
jrockfreak wrote:
im mixed on the show, I cant really say I enjoy it and I considered dropping it a few times but im sort of curious to see what the end game is so I keep watching, I just feel like the plot doesn't have a clear goal and they haven't even explained the jellyfish or why she can expel them

What's unclear about the plot? Seems pretty straightforward to me. The family wants to collect the five members of it who are currently stuck in Stasis and return to real time. It's true the jellyfish haven't been explained or why she has the power to expel them, but presumably that's coming. What would be the point of revealing all the mysteries of the show at the midpoint of its run?
Terrible90sDub

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:14 pm Reply with quote
By this point, I expected Kokkoku to either improve more than a fraction or become a complete trainwreck (which would be entertaining in its own way!), but instead I sort of feel the same way about it I did at the beginning and I keep on watching it for a few of the characters. I guess it earns some points for not predictably falling into the two above categories...

It's funny, as normally I'm much more likely to go for something with a "what is the mystery of this world?" set-up than a slice of life one, but I almost wish Kokkoku were the latter. I want to explore Tsubasa's life with potential PTSD and social fears (according to this shot and how he reacted in a "he can't end up like me!" way after it), what happened to their sister who was mentioned in the first episode and then forgotten about, and have more Juri and Shoko interactions! There's still time to address some of that, but... I find if hard to care whenever the Genuine Love Society is saying anything and they've taken up quite a bit of time. (Plus, as was previously pointed out, sometimes what they babble on about are revelations that we've already known for awhile...) While the whole question about the stasis world is somewhat intriguing, it feels like the execution is lacking enough to truly make it compelling.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:23 am Reply with quote
I feel the opposite of most people--I'm loving this show, it's become my second most-looked-forward to after Darling in the Franxx. The characters are great, but it's the suspense and tension I'm finding most compelling, as well as Shoko's story. I honestly don't care if they never learn every detail of how the mystical aspects work as long as the characters' stories are told in a compelling way.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:24 am Reply with quote
I'm confused about Shoko's family. Didn't she pull her father out of the Herald that attacked inside the house? Or was that some random dude? The one that decapitated the guinea pig in the courtyard seemed to just be her mother, and the Love-boss said they'd now encountered three of them, so how did they all end up in the same ball of Herald?

Yep, too bad it didn't get Papa before she expelled the jellies. I'm really looking forward to his demise.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:52 am Reply with quote
@ Gina Szanboti - there are a lot of Heralds in Stassis not just Shokos family. The Herald that Papa Dingle-Nuts attracted was made up of the three missing members of her family. The old dude we saw in the apartment was some rando.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:47 am Reply with quote
Ok on the rando, but the smaller one in the courtyard she recognized as her mother (was there another instance where she saw her brother's jacket or did I imagine that?). And they said they'd need to attract the other ones, but then it turned out all three of them were in the gigantic one Juri fought. I'm just wondering how they all got together in one Herald.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:41 am Reply with quote
I think you are mistaken about Shoko seeing her family members in other Heralds. I believe the big Herald that held all three of them was the only time we have seen them.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:11 am Reply with quote
Ok, I think I get it now. ~15 m into Ep. 5, in the courtyard when Love-boss (does he have a name?) was trying to summon a Herald, first they got the little torso and arms, which was her brother (with his green shirt draped over its back), then mom's right side showed up to keep them from cutting her son, then dad appeared and handballed the guy's head into the wall, leaving his (dad's) jacket behind. That's when Love-boss noted "that makes three," and probably why Shoko thought they needed to summon 3 separate Heralds.

So I think when they all disintegrated, they must've reintegrated as one Herald since all the dust got mixed together when they were at one location, or something. Or maybe they wanted to be together.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5