• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Made in Abyss Anime Gets 2 Compilation Films in Winter

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
G S Palmer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
relyat08 wrote:

The "sequel" noted on the official website is "a brand new episode is in production"(新作エピソード制作進行中!) which would be an OVA. Maybe I missed a follow up somewhere, but I'm a little confused by the wording in this article, which doesn't denote that it is an "episode" anywhere, and kind of implies(and successfully based on the comments here), that it is going to be a sequel TV series.
Anyway, I kind of expect a second season as well, hence this level of continued interest in the franchise, but I still have not seen anything specifically confirming a sequel TV series.

Considering the popularity of Made in Abyss, it would be extremely foolish of them if they decide to try and cram the rest of the manga into one OVA episode instead of a full season and I imagine the backlash against the series would be pretty severe if they did that.

I'm pretty sure it would be literally impossible to manage that. If it is an OVA, it's probably a side story. Or maybe it's some sort of interim episode between seasons (does the manga go directly into the next arc from where the anime left off?).

Also, I have a question. Does エピソード (episode) necessarily refer to an individual episode? Or could it mean something like "the next episode of the story"? As in, season 1 was "episode 1", etc? But that's probably just wishful thinking on my part.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
relyat08 wrote:

The "sequel" noted on the official website is "a brand new episode is in production"(新作エピソード制作進行中!) which would be an OVA. Maybe I missed a follow up somewhere, but I'm a little confused by the wording in this article, which doesn't denote that it is an "episode" anywhere, and kind of implies(and successfully based on the comments here), that it is going to be a sequel TV series.
Anyway, I kind of expect a second season as well, hence this level of continued interest in the franchise, but I still have not seen anything specifically confirming a sequel TV series.

Considering the popularity of Made in Abyss, it would be extremely foolish of them if they decide to try and cram the rest of the manga into one OVA episode instead of a full season and I imagine the backlash against the series would be pretty severe if they did that.

I don't think that's what they are trying to do with this OVA episode. It's almost definitely a stepping stone, or worst-case, an anime original side story, or something along those lines.

G S Palmer wrote:

Also, I have a question. Does エピソード (episode) necessarily refer to an individual episode? Or could it mean something like "the next episode of the story"? As in, season 1 was "episode 1", etc? But that's probably just wishful thinking on my part.

I've never seen it used that way, but theoretically, yeah, sure, it could be used to refer to a season, in the same way that it could in English.
I am pretty certain this is an OVA though, and there is still a sequel season planned, it just hasn't been really specified other than the vague announcement we got in November. I'm choosing to believe that the episode they are talking about here is separate. Maybe it's even a prequel?
Maybe this'll be more like Unlimited Blade Works or Mushi-shi: Next Chapter, where there is an hour special before the first episode of the new season airs? That sounds feasible as well.
Ragdollomega

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:55 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

I don't think that's what they are trying to do with this OVA episode. It's almost definitely a stepping stone, or worst-case, an anime original side story, or something along those lines.

I think I remember reading that the director mentioned an interest in doing a 'day in the life of Maruruk' OVA during the screening of the final episode. So that could be a possibility.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2