• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toei Animation to Establish Department Focused on Dragon Ball

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:26 am Reply with quote
So is One Piece not as profitable any more, I thought it was there next cash cow after DB.
AkaRed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:44 am Reply with quote
Nekelen Tinsley wrote:
ENDLESS TRASH!!!!

Like your comment Cool

gravediggernalk wrote:
Hopefully any future animated projects take the form of OVAs, TV specials, or movies, as Dragon Ball Super was hilariously bad; even at its worst, the pre-1998 run of Dragon Ball anime looked better than most of Dragon Ball Super.

Preach Rolling Eyes

As for the news I am kinda curious how it will turn out, that said that means that Dragon Ball will be more linked to Toei than ever.
Baggie_Saiyan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:59 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
So is One Piece not as profitable any more, I thought it was there next cash cow after DB.

OP still is. But it doesn't need a separate department everything is fine with it. DB however does due to lack of source material and the fact DBS had such a poor production schedule.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:35 am Reply with quote
gravediggernalk wrote:
Hopefully any future animated projects take the form of OVAs, TV specials, or movies, as Dragon Ball Super was hilariously bad; even at its worst, the pre-1998 run of Dragon Ball anime looked better than most of Dragon Ball Super.

Really? I just started watching the tournament arc, and so far it's everything a fan could ask for. People are blowing the animation stuff out of proportion. Yeah it's iffy at times, but it's not like it reaches Fair Tail levels or something. It's consistent for the most part.
JulieYBM

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:35 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
gravediggernalk wrote:

Really? I just started watching the tournament arc, and so far it's everything a fan could ask for. People are blowing the animation stuff out of proportion. Yeah it's iffy at times, but it's not like it reaches Fair Tail levels or something. It's consistent for the most part.

Dragon Ball Super looked bad for a number of reasons. One of which being the fact that the series pretty much had no finished episodes by the time it was first broadcast. The decision to enter production and broadcast in July 2015 was essentially made after Dragon Ball Z: Fukkatsu no F had become a huge financial success. Coming off 2014 seeing seven actively running series for Toei Animation...that was just not a good idea. Everything was in chaos at the studio and they definitely didn't have the resources to available to actually pull off a new series on the drop of a dime. Additionally, there is rumored to have been heavy meddling in the scripting and storyboarding stage by Toei Animation Chairman Morishita Kouzou. Morishita was originally hand-picked by Torishima Kazuhiko (the original editor of Dragon Ball and the man that discovered Toriyama Akira) to take over as the producer of Dragon Ball to make it as popular as Saint Seiya had been under his direction. Morishita's meddling in Dragon Ball Super apparently threw pre-production into chaos and led to the series falling apart even worse.

Another reason for the series' poor quality is the fact that the character designer was Yamamuro Tadayoshi. Yamamuro is a bad animator and illustrator these days. He's spent his entire career with Dragon Ball and has been the animation supervisor of every movie from 1993 through the end of Dragon Ball Super but old age and a lack of ability to really learn has hampered his ability to adapt to modern animation styles. As a result, along with his really draconian correcting style, Yamamuro actively changes the animation of animators better than him to stay in line with his ugly character models. This sort of practice keeps good animators from wanting to work on Dragon Ball. Even worse, when Yamamuro was directing the 2015 movie (unsurprisingly, he's a bad director, too) he produced Eguchi Hisashi that he could do as he wanted with a scene--even ignoring the storyboard--but then completely changed his work. This led to Eguchi and Satou Masaki--both having previously worked under the original Dragon Ball character designer and Yamamuro's predecessor, Maeda Minoru--to tweet publicly about how Yamamuro was a big fish in a small pond who never moved past a single franchise.

Dragon Ball Super had a lot of problems stemming from its schedule and its chief animation supervisor's stewardship of the series. It's really worth noting that in just 131 episodes it had five series directors. FIVE. That is insanely high and really goes to show just how much chaos was going on behind the scenes.

Now that Nagamine Tatsuya is directing the new movie and Shintani Naohiro has been chosen as the new animation supervisor I think the franchise is definitely on the right track to recovery. Shintani is ending Yamamuro's twenty-five year control over the movies' animation and is a much more skilled animator that specializes in character acting.

The Tournament of Power arc tried really hard to increase the quality of the animation for the series but even that wasn't exactly done completely. Trying to pull off that many action scenes for a year's worth of episodes isn't possible when you only have a small number of action animators willing to work on the series.

gravediggernalk wrote:

This new planning department should make a television production much easier. If the series is not broadcast until there are actual episodes finished then there shouldn't be a problem.
Eigengrau

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:20 am Reply with quote
Nekelen Tinsley wrote:
ENDLESS TRASH!!!!

I fear that, based on some of the reactions, almost no one got that reference.
Enturax

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:44 am Reply with quote
Eigengrau wrote:
Nekelen Tinsley wrote:
ENDLESS TRASH!!!!

Reference to what? I was just thinking we're playing stating facts here.

Anyone who believes DBS was a good Dragon Ball is a reason why the series are actually dead, because Super was nothing more than a bad fanservice with overly japanese'd theme and the characters.
People thinking that show is good think that only because they're hyped by ANYTHING it showed which required zero writing creativity whatsoever. Basically, majority of fans would come up with most stuff Toei did but they would never make a character have a scythe or use a freaking Susanoo which shoots beams out of its head like some freaking Zord. Rolling Eyes

At the end of the day Super fanboys are no different from people who made every other long-running franchise get SUPER (punintended) low and be hated by the original fans... And do you know why not every original fan hates it? Because they don't realize that there's a difference between liking something for personal preferences and knowing what made the original the way it was.
TL;DR people don't remember what made DB/Z so good or they're too dumb to realize it, or they simply don't care anymore/stopped respecting the franchise for what it was.
AkaRed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Enturax wrote:
At the end of the day Super fanboys are no different from people who made every other long-running franchise get SUPER (punintended) low and be hated by the original fans... And do you know why not every original fan hates it? Because they don't realize that there's a difference between liking something for personal preferences and knowing what made the original the way it was.
TL;DR people don't remember what made DB/Z so good or they're too dumb to realize it, or they simply don't care anymore/stopped respecting the franchise for what it was.

Guess what I am an original fan (born 1984) and I saw Dragon Ball in France during the 90's long before america does, and I love Dragon Ball Super for many reason, heck some of the direction that the franchise took, I wanted them to happen way back to the late 90's.

So fight me !
Centurionzo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I love Dragon Ball, the original, Z, GT and Super.

I'm pretty with this news but I do hope that SSJ4 appear in the future, i really didn't like the SSGSS trasformation
Marimo0

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Centurionzo wrote:
I love Dragon Ball, the original, Z, GT and Super.

I'm pretty with this news but I do hope that SSJ4 appear in the future, i really didn't like the SSGSS trasformation

SS4 is something largely considered unique to GT. And we're more likely to get different transformations than to reuse an old one not even created by Toriyama.
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Enturax wrote:
Eigengrau wrote:
Nekelen Tinsley wrote:
ENDLESS TRASH!!!!

Reference to what? I was just thinking we're playing stating facts here.

Reference to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut5sk0RUlS4
anddo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Enturax wrote:

Anyone who believes DBS was a good Dragon Ball is a reason why the series are actually dead, because Super was nothing more than a bad fanservice with overly japanese'd theme and the characters.

Check what site you're on and run that by me again.
SailorNaruto

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:51 pm Reply with quote
On my birthday huh? Neat. Off topic but I'd pay through the nose for a department dedicated solely to Sailor Moon Anime cry

quote="anddo!"]
Enturax wrote:

Check what site you're on and run that by me again.[/quote]

"Overly Japanese" but isn't the entire Dragon Ball franchise- you know what nevermind
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure why some fans have this idea if they don't like some part of a franchise that must mean everyone else who does like it must have terrible tastes instead of just different tastes than them, as though personal opinions about the entertainment value of anime shows is an objective fact.
Nack 20

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:02 am Reply with quote
gravediggernalk wrote:

Which is objectively false. People need to stop acting like every episode of Super looked like Episode 5. And in reality, there were multiple episodes of DB, Z and GT that looked worse than Super's worst.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/animation-styles/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3