• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Liz and the Blue Bird

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlackWolf26

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:08 am Reply with quote
#Verso.Sciolto wrote:
Fairytale and folktale references were also woven into the animated TV series but in Liz and the Blue Bird such "stories within a story" are made a central focus upfront. Perhaps this film and its -even more- explicit symbolism will inspire people to re-watch and re-examine the two seasons of the TV series as well. Sounds like quite a few people are rather dismissive of this element and how it is -visually- presented in Liz and the Blue Bird, too, however.

I hope that no one would take this post and its claims seriously. Folklore and fairytale references are not essential to appreciating both Liz and the Blue Bird as well as Hibike! Euphonium. There is no symbolism in the film that will “inspire people to re-watch and re-examine the two seasons of the TV series as well”. The correct answer is that if people choose to revisit Hibike! Euphonium, it will be to see the character dynamics, rather than any non-existent literary symbols you believe to exist.

Similarly, it is untrue that "Ishihara embellishes whereas Yamada distills", in comparing Hibike! Euphonium‘s TV series with Liz and the Blue Bird, and furthermore, the latter is not an example of minimalism. Both are wrong: Hibike! Euphonium is richer in detail because the details and colours serve to reinforce the idea that music is more than the sum of its parts. It is unfair to grossly reduce a director’s style into one word. Liz and the Blue Bird deliberately takes its style so it can more seamlessly transition between Nozomi and Mizore’s stories and that of Liz and the Blue Bird, and moreover, the film can be enjoyed without the need for an academic mindset. It's a beautiful movie, one that speaks to the simple and direct matter of friendship and the inevitability of separation, nothing more.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2