• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 TV Anime Affected by Japanese Censorship [2018-04-29]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harminia

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:53 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
It's interesting how much stricter Japan's gotten on nudity over the years. Whenever I think of Japanese TV censorship, one of the first things that comes to mind is Freezing (maybe just because it was one of the first examples of broadcast censorship I saw via screenshots), in which the entire screen was black at times.

Not nudity related but I remember when Tokyo Ghoul first aired, some scenes were basically entirely black. I didn't watch episode 2 onward so I don't know if the censoring was less extreme or not but it was pretty wild hearing gross noises but seeing nothing but maybe a tinsy corner of the screen
Time Bandit

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:31 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:
Another series that was affected by censorship, IIRC was Pokémon. I can remember at least two times that episodes were censored, or downright removed.
That happened a lot overseas, but as far as I know the only episode that was removed in Japan, was the one that caused widespread seizures.

Haha, this takes me back... Long, long ago, in a far away place, I bought a VHS of the three 'banned' Pokemon episodes off of eBay. They included the Porygon seizure ep, the gun ep, and the one where Kojirou had breasts...I think I still have it somewhere stashed away. Wonderful stuff right there. Laughing I think only the seizure episode was a problem in Japan though.

As far as the new Spring OPs of shows I'm actually watching, here's my picks, with a runner up three:
1. Fist of the Blue Sky Regenesis: Souten no Hate ni by AK-69 (I love this. SO much. I want the full version, like now.)
2. Kakuriyo -Bed & Breakfast for Spirits-: Tomoshibi no Manimani by Nao Toyama (Reminds me of Hakuouki and thats a good thing. Really liking this.)
3. Libra of Nil Admirari: Tandeki Mirage-ism by kradness (It's cute, spunky, and energetic. Plus bishounen. Big win for me.)

Runners up:
Megalobox: Bite by LEO Imai (Love the grittiness of both the song and the visuals.)
Last Hope (Juushinki Pandora): Sirius by Bump of Chicken (I LOVE Bump of Chicken so much! His voice makes me melt.)
Butlers x Battlers: Growth Arrow by OLDCODEX (The show might be so-so so far, but I love me some screamy OLDCODEX.)
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:42 pm Reply with quote
I think the final episode of Excel Saga should be at the top of the list. It was not shown in the TV broadcast, not due to copyright infringement, but because there are some things that can't be shown in TV broadcast channels, even in japan.

Quote:
an episode's plot too closely mirrors a recent tragedy.

There should be a mention of I Don't Like You at All, Big Brother!! episode 10 where "characters are swept away by an imaginary wave" and shortly after the 2011 Tsunami hit, so the episode was not rebroadcast and the disc release was modified to prevent hurting sensibilities.
harminia

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:14 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
I think the final episode of Excel Saga should be at the top of the list. It was not shown in the TV broadcast, not due to copyright infringement, but because there are some things that can't be shown in TV broadcast channels, even in japan.

Quote:
This list is an updated version of the same topic that ran in 2014, highlighting ones I missed the first time around or were affected after that date.

Didn't get top, but scored 3rd place
Kicksville

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:22 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
Shirobako had this briefly happen with Episode 6, which had extensive references to Tomino's Space Runaway Ideon as "Idepon." (It also had a few other references.) It was temporarily suspended from streaming but then came back. The common assumption is that it was Tomino that caused it, but there were other theories.

It seems it was actually related to "Waiting for Godot" references: apparently, the original episode used dialogue directly from the play, which is still copyrighted (not to mention the author's objections to having female performers for it). So it was changed to lines that merely reference it. It doesn't seem to be clear if they received any actual legal threats, or someone just noticed it could be a problem after the fact. Nothing related to Ideon was altered, so it seems that was unrelated (Ideon has been parodied pretty extensively for years, including Space Dandy pretty much having an Ideon in it).
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:28 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:
Another series that was affected by censorship, IIRC was Pokémon. I can remember at least two times that episodes were censored, or downright removed.
That happened a lot overseas, but as far as I know the only episode that was removed in Japan, was the one that caused widespread seizures.

its not the only one. just like with madoka magica, the supposed team rocket vs team plasma arc eps on best wishes was completely canceled because of the 2011 earthquakes and tsunamis! surprised the article author forgot that notion if they was mentioning episodes that was canceled or postponed due to that disaster!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:54 am Reply with quote
StarFan13 wrote:
Pripara ending? That dosen't involve Censorship

How do you figure it's not? (unless you didn't read the article)
Quote:
The complaint took issue with the characters appearing in swimsuits and specifically character Sophie Hojo wearing a Marilyn Monroe-inspired negligee. The series' creators edited the ending sequence, but seemed to also be poking fun at the complaint in general. The swimsuit scene stayed, but Sophie was drawn on a boat in the least sexual outfit possible: rubber fisherman coveralls and a long-sleeved shirt.

I'm surprised that Terraformars didn't make the list with its Super-massive Black Holes of Death censorship.
SakuraShimizu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:16 am Reply with quote
Another reason Mr. Osomatsu’s first episode was removed from existence was because it too closely resembled Uta no Prince-sama’s first episode. Such as starting it with a concert that looked exactly like UtaPri’s to Jyushimatsu yelling an English name and tackling Osomatsu like Natsuki did to Otoya.

Honestly the poses they did from Sailor Moon, Naruto, etc, were the LEAST of their problems. Though the Attack on Titan one was nearly a trace parody.

They also featured a sign in the episode with barely altered chibis of u’s. And Jyushimatsu spot-on cosplayed Honoka.
Lord of Fire

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:25 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
StarFan13 wrote:
Pripara ending? That dosen't involve Censorship

How do you figure it's not? (unless you didn't read the article)
Quote:
The complaint took issue with the characters appearing in swimsuits and specifically character Sophie Hojo wearing a Marilyn Monroe-inspired negligee. The series' creators edited the ending sequence, but seemed to also be poking fun at the complaint in general. The swimsuit scene stayed, but Sophie was drawn on a boat in the least sexual outfit possible: rubber fisherman coveralls and a long-sleeved shirt.

The article also says:
Quote:
No one is required to adhere to BPO's suggestions or complaints

So, I ask you, do you count self-censorship as 'actual' censorship? Personally, I think it only counts if you're being (heavily) discouraged from leaving things as they are (e.g., a sponsor threatens to withdraw support, or a creator is threatened), not if you decide on your own volition to change certain scenes.

In this case, no one was forced into changing that particular ED, so unless there were extenuating circumstances that we're not told about, I'm not sure if this counts as censorship in the way people usually see it..
trilaan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:36 am Reply with quote
Western-influenced Sci-Fi action, frou-frou shoujo magical girl and cyberpunk mindscrew. That's an interesting Top 5 Anime of 1998 to be sure. The order in which they appear is also interesting.
SHD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:07 am Reply with quote
Senkou no Night Raid aka Night Raid 1931 wasn't a particularly well-known show but it had a case of censorship that I think is worthy of being on this list. The story deals with superpowered Japanese secret agents in China quite literally on the eve of the 2nd Sino-Japanese war. The antagonists are a secret Japanese organization that is trying to avoid the brewing conflict ... by wanting to drop their own home-made nuke on China as a show of power.

Anyway, one of the episodes deals with the Mukden Incident, stating quite directly that it was set up by Japan as a casus belli (which is of course entirely correct). This episode was never allowed to air on TV - it was allowed to be streamed online, but only at the official website.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:27 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Anyway, one of the episodes deals with the Mukden Incident, stating quite directly that it was set up by Japan as a casus belli (which is of course entirely correct). This episode was never allowed to air on TV - it was allowed to be streamed online, but only at the official website.

True, it too is an established fact that became a target of historical revisionists in Japan.

I have to track down that show sometime and check out the episode...

Last edited by Blanchimont on Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:46 am Reply with quote
Lord of Fire wrote:
So, I ask you, do you count self-censorship as 'actual' censorship?

Well, in this case is sounded like they would not have changed anything had there been no complaint, so it doesn't seem entirely of their own volition, even if no one could legally force them to do it. And how they changed it seemed to be an expression of their irritation over being pressured into it.
SHD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:53 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
SHD wrote:

True, it too is an established fact that become a target of historical revisionists in Japan.

I remember many English language reviewers slamming the show after the first episode, ridiculing it and writing it off as revisionist propaganda... that was very short-sighted even as far as the first episode went, let alone the incident with this episode, and it became especially ironic at the end. Hell, the Japanese character who is trying his damnedest to be an upstanding, patriotic man despite everything that is going on gets the roughest deal of them all, making really bad decisions not once but twice in the story, first after falling for some vaguely well-intentioned but ultimately misguided demagoguery, and the second time out of desperation after having seen his ideals and hopes being trampled on by history.

Night Raid is not as good a show as it desperately wants to be (the pulpy superpowered spy adventue and the serious and depressing history aspects don't mesh well together, and I wonder why they even included the former aspect) but I found it a quite interesting show, mostly because of its ambition.
Scalfin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:12 am Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
CatSword wrote:
It's interesting how much stricter Japan's gotten on nudity over the years. Whenever I think of Japanese TV censorship, one of the first things that comes to mind is Freezing (maybe just because it was one of the first examples of broadcast censorship I saw via screenshots), in which the entire screen was black at times.

Not nudity related but I remember when Tokyo Ghoul first aired, some scenes were basically entirely black. I didn't watch episode 2 onward so I don't know if the censoring was less extreme or not but it was pretty wild hearing gross noises but seeing nothing but maybe a tinsy corner of the screen

I'm guessing it's because they can toss them in with CG for broadcast and then keep them out of the DVD's, such that the black bars help sell merch. Previously, the censorship had to be done at the animation level, meaning that it would be the same for all releases.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3