• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Yo, Joe!

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Triltaison

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Happy to help spread the word of Yabuki Joe. Hope you enjoy whatever route you decide to go with. ^^
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:38 am Reply with quote
I'm watching the TV series right now. One thing that strikes is what a genuinely messed-up kid Joe is; indeed it's a while before he really gives a damn about boxing or anyone besides himself. Before that he's a unrepentant cynical swindler and cheat, even to people who show him genuine kindness.

There are a lot of "delinquent with a heart of gold" characters who seem like jerks for half an episode only to turn out to be heroes inside, but Joe really does start out as a bad guy and only slowly turns into someone the other characters can trust and support. So far it's my favorite aspect of the series.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:22 pm Reply with quote
^
Exactly. Joe Yabuki didn't start off as some jerk who, deep down, meant well, but rather truly on cared about himself, & he had no qualms about literally robbing people. In fact, the one thing about the compilation movie that I was a little saddened by (though I fully understand why it happened) was that it changed the reason for why Joe went to juvi in the first place. In the movie, it was changed into him "kidnapping" the local kids so that he could use them to swindle money out of people, but in the original manga & anime, Joe hiding out the with the kids was simply the result of his grand plan being found out.

What was the plan? He faked having the kids be orphans, and acted as a faux charity asking for donations, which resulted in Joe effectively robbing almost everyone who lived in the city of their money! Hell, even by the end of Joe's entire story, he still cared primarily about himself & what he wanted out of life. Sure, he opened up a ton & actually cared about others by the end, but he still put his wants above all else; he unknowingly even lost the potential love of someone, because all he wanted was to "burn like white ash".

It's partially why I was both dumbfounded & a little amused when Rowdy Sumo Wrestler Matsutaro debuted back in 2014, and people were trying to argue that the show was actively promoting Matsutaro's behavior, when he was simply very much like Joe: Selfish & uncaring about what others though about him. I guess Tetsuya Chiba just likes making total jerks his leads.
Denys Lalande

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:58 am Reply with quote
Talking of the ending of _Ashita No Joe_ Has anyone else here seen the Mickey Rourke vehicle _The Wrestler_? Doesn't the ending seem *vaguely* familiar...? >;)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2