• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 23 Shogakukan Manga Magazines Launch Anti-Piracy Campaign

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:49 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

There is no such scenario IRL where pirates cease to exist, human beings have xeroxed books, copied tapes and recorded broadcasts before most people in this forum were even born yet those industries have not gone bankrupt, far from it. But the sheer hardheadedness of the manga industry is mind boggling, the anime industry has already made the example to follow, continuing to bemoan "pirates, pirates, pirates everywhere" instead of modernizing is downright childish.
None of those past industries had to withstand piracy at the scale and speed we see today. Nobody was xeroxing a book a million times in an hour and sharing it all over the world in 5 minutes back then. The anime industry may have modernized, but it's still beset with pirates everywhere, and self-serving goalposts-moving by the viewerbase -- nothing is ever good enough.

And it doesn't have to be one or the other; companies certainly can modernize or improve their services while also combating pirates in the legal and philosophical arenas.

wastrel wrote:
Your comment would make sense if the only "value" under consideration were monetary. But there are other things that customers find to be of value: timeliness (does the manga get online at the same time or quickly after the physical copy comes out?), notification (do I get an email/text/notification when a chapter of a manga I subscribe to is newly available, instead of having to visit the site over and over), centralization (can I visit just one site to see all the manga I want, instead of umpteen different companies' sites?), flexibility (can I read in any browser, using any operating system, using any device desktop/phone/tablet?).
There's nothing stopping the pirates from implementing the same features; once they do, we'll be right back against "Why pay for what I can get for free?"
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
None of those past industries had to withstand piracy at the scale and speed we see today. Nobody was xeroxing a book a million times in an hour and sharing it all over the world in 5 minutes back then. The anime industry may have modernized, but it's still beset with pirates everywhere, and self-serving goalposts-moving by the viewerbase -- nothing is ever good enough.

It goes both ways, it has never been easier for content providers to reach their userbase. And no, I do not see the industry that produces books, music, live-action and other types of software going out of business due to "those speedy internet pirates" today or in the future. Of course every time CEOs mismanagement (reads as "stupidity") creates lower profits, their knee jerk reaction is to blame software piracy, a very convenient scapegoat, who needs hard facts or scientifical research when you have a punching bag over the which you can claim moral superiority, because You are a pirate!

Quote:
And it doesn't have to be one or the other; companies certainly can modernize or improve their services while also combating pirates in the legal and philosophical arenas.

Private business do not need our approval to exercise their legal options and we can argue until the end of times, but it is as feasible that will stop software piracy as the DEA is to stop illegal drug consumption (and they have been at it for nearly half a century with a budget that dwarfs anything the private sector spends on lawyers against piracy).

Quote:
There's nothing stopping the pirates from implementing the same features; once they do, we'll be right back against "Why pay for what I can get for free?"

A new report out of the UK once again deflates the common narrative that pirates are exclusively looking to obtain free stuff.
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Beyond the pirate sites usually implementing features before the legitimate sites do, they also don't suffer from the Balkanization seen in the legal streaming/hosting space. Attempting to get rid of piracy completely is a fool's errand; all that can be done is to make legal avenues as attractive as possible to as many people as possible.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2