• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: J-Novel Club to Suspend [New Life+] Novel Sales After July 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Even the English translation now? This is some of the dumbest over-reactionary bulls*** I've seen and potentially sets a dangerous precedent for smothering creativity. Rolling Eyes
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Even the English translation now? This is some of the dumbest over-reactionary bulls*** I've seen and potentially sets a dangerous precedent for smothering creativity. Rolling Eyes

That’s the way life works right now. All it takes is 1 person doing something stupid and everyone gets involved instead of just punishing the dumb person and letting us who did not post the dumb Tweet buy the series.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Sherris wrote:
Was it necessary? Really? Even to the point of halting the sales of already released volumes? I'm not ever going to read this, but the overreaction sure is laughable.
I am skeptical of the growing concern over wrongthink but just from an economic perspective this makes sense since the Japanese publisher had cancelled the series. The problem of course that as the demonization of men grows worse with every passing year we all know that eventually ecchi content will start to fall into the realm of wrongthink. It is not a matter of if but only a matter of when before we start to see the censorship of light novels due to content.
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:09 pm Reply with quote
The overreaction is seriously laughable, it's more and more stupid, oh god where are we going ...

#HueyLion we mainly care about how easy it is for something to be canceled nowaday, not just because of this author also meh or not, nobody or not, there was still fans of this work.
G S Palmer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:

If by "creativity" you mean "racism", then yes.
MoonPhase1 wrote:
That’s the way life works right now. All it takes is 1 person doing something stupid and everyone gets involved instead of just punishing the dumb person and letting us who did not post the dumb Tweet buy the series.

How do you propose "punishing" them other than by cancelling their series, which apparently contains the very material they're in trouble for? Lecturing them?

I am sorry for the people who enjoyed this series, but some of the people here need to take a step back and decide whether the author is really worth defending.

Also, I doubt J-Novel Club had much of a say in this. The decision was probably on Hobby Japan's end.
SkyLETV34

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Unbelievable what this has become.
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Some of the posts in these threads smh. Apparently you can get away with anything including racism as long as it disguised as creatively. Some y'all just at admit all you care get what you want damned whether hurts anyone instead making excuses for horribly tone-deaf and immoral behavior that has killed thousands in the past.

Racism is never an accident, it requires thinking to be a racist and say racist things especially when you should know better. Nobody should get a pass for it and isn't nearly far enough to justify the author getting a 2nd chance especially because he ddin't delete the tweet himself. Its' all his own fault and we aren't hurt for good series so not he matters at the end of the day.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Not only did he make the racist remarks.

The main character of the books in the original version is inspired by a war time propaganda about soldiers who after the war were executed for war crimes. (The soldiers in propaganda fought only with swords. The reality was they were officers who had a competition of who could kill the most people. Those who were captured, those who were wounded, those who surrendered).

The novel and manga cut back on details, to hints and sanitize the work for outside audiences. But the original web novel was offered on the digital service in countries outside Japan.

People in other countries even with the sanitized version were able to work out that it was off. People reading the web version knew something wasn't right either. And then the tweets were found and everything got out in the open.

This isn't just racist tweets. This is racist dehumanizing tweets and a book with a main character based on a war criminals who killed people that those racist tweets were about.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Just wanted to point out to you all that J-Novel’s statement said the series’ translation would be “suspended,” not “cancelled.” There’s hope in the future for the translation to continue when things cool down. Don’t get too hopeful, though.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Got rid of a bunch of pointless bait posts.
RegisterJustForComment

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:02 am Reply with quote
And that, kids, how all language and literature vanish and extinct from the surface of the world. Because all word and sentence known until now can trigger every good and bad thing of all kind of people, countries, planet and even other planets in the universe, it make people ruin and kill each others. What? Then how come we still use it here? Well, we're one of the rebel factions.
LastPage 3

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:06 am Reply with quote
RenimLS wrote:
Honestly I feel it's things like this that's actually fueling greater resurgence of racism and hatred.

Really now. A business making their own decision about who they want to be associated with causes the resurgence of racism and hatred?

Ever think maybe it's the people trying to normalize and explain away racism that's causing that problem?

Quote:
What was done to this author only succeeds in making him a martyr to racists.

Racists can pick anything to be their martyr. That's their problem.

Quote:
It's a quick fix that only really succeeds in covering over the problem and creating this illusion that the problem went away and that we're "winning" against the racists.

This isn't a 'fix'. It's people deciding that they don't want to be associated with a racist. That's the only way to deal with people like them.

Quote:
In the end the author learns nothing from this, as all this will do is put him into a situation where he will more likely end up now cementing racist opinions blaming those groups for destroying his career.

What the author does or doesn't learn from this is his own problem. People shouldn't be forced to deal with him just because he'll become more of a racist otherwise.

Quote:
The racists learn nothing from this, because they see this as another example of the liberals trying to censor them.

Racists rarely learn anything that dissaudes them from racism, and giving racism a pass never teaches them that anyway.

Quote:
The people fighting racism learn nothing from this, because they think this was a victory when all it's done is add future fuel and strength to those they're fighting against.

The people fighting racism have learned that racism isn't acceptable, and that they can choose to avoid dealing with racists, which should be self-evident, but life isn't that simple.

What racists take away from that is their problem.

Kruszer wrote:

Oh, please. No one has stopped the writer from writing this series, Hobby Japan and J-Novel Club are just exercising their right not to do business with him.

Freedom goes both ways.
Sentinel_Wraith

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:09 am Reply with quote
Furuzaki wrote:
A novel series is killed by a tweet... Seriously? If only people would unite against more important things than inappropriate tweets. Confused

Like the fact a pedophile was allowed to continue publishing with less than a $2000 fine after being busted with over 100 videos of 10-15 year old children being sexually abused. Pretty sure that's worse than a racist tweet.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:13 am Reply with quote
As a half-black, Jewish member of society, I have to say... I really don't care how racist an author is. If their work is good, let them continue making it. It should be up to the consumer whether or not the discriminatory behavior should impact their decision to read the person's novel or manga. I don't like companies making that decision for me.
BlueOla

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:47 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
As a half-black, Jewish member of society, I have to say... I really don't care how racist an author is. If their work is good, let them continue making it. It should be up to the consumer whether or not the discriminatory behavior should impact their decision to read the person's novel or manga. I don't like companies making that decision for me.

Not to be rude, but if you're a half-black Jewish member of society, this doesn't concern you. This is about racism against Chinese and Korean people related to WW2 which is rooted in historical revisionism in Japan. I'm just not sure if your experiences are relevant in this case.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6