• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Jim Carrey Joins Sonic the Hedgehog Film as Robotnik

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
theNightster wrote:
Jim Carry as Eggman? how would that work?

Maybe he’ll be CGI also?

They do have fat suits and the like ya know. If they wanted to keep him looking more authentic.
DirtyCircle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:01 am Reply with quote
It makes me so happy to see the name Robotnik and not... "Eggman". I hate the name "Eggman" and he will always be Dr. Robotnik to me.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:30 am Reply with quote
I'm sorry, but I just don't see Jim Carrey doing this movie justice. Sure I loved him in the Mask, Ace Ventura, and did a nice job in the Truman show. But if you seriously look at his roles since, he's basically playing the same character over and over again and it got old. So I'm betting his portrayal of Eggman / Robitnik will just be a rehash of the Grinch.

DirtyCircle wrote:
It makes me so happy to see the name Robotnik and not... "Eggman". I hate the name "Eggman" and he will always be Dr. Robotnik to me.

Guess you didn't see his twitter where he's singing, "I am Eggman". Rolling Eyes
theNightster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:38 am Reply with quote
DirtyCircle wrote:
well in Japan he was always called Eggman, Robotnik was just his American name until Sonic adventure came around, kind of like they used to call Bowser King Koopa in North America back in the day.
EducatedRuffian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:04 am Reply with quote
I have one question: wtf?
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:13 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Chaps, chaps. Before we succumb to any fury effected by this news, just picture the following concept: the line "snooping as usual, I see", but delivered in the sleek, undulating cadence of Ace Ventura's voice. Surely everyone stands to benefit!
With him doing silly walks like John Cleese.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Jim Carrey as Eggman would have been cool if it was 1996. This idea of a movie feels so late that I feel like it should have came out in 1993-1996 when Sonic was still in his prime on the Genesis.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Why do all recent Jim Carrey head-shots look beyond creepy? Shaving his infamous beard was somehow a mistake.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Heishi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Next they'll cast Uma Thurman as Kamella in the Super Mario movie.
Hopefully not, though.

I'm pretty sure Jim Carrey will have fun in this movie.
He's already doing something interesting on Showtime.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
The more I hear about the development of the Sonic the Hedgehog movie the more I wonder if the people making it have seen the games. The choices they make are so counter intuitive that it feels like the people making it were given a single brief paragraph about the franchise. I think that an adventure movie would have been a better choice but considering that they went with Jim Carrey for Dr. Robotnik it sounds like it is going to be a comedy movie.

It's a buddy cop movie. I'm not making this up.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:16 pm Reply with quote
FLCLGainax wrote:
With him doing silly walks like John Cleese.

Surely Robotnik's exceptional shoe size would hinder his abilities in this respect, unless the producers were to adopt his AOSTH design. (Which, I admit, would be a joyous thing.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:38 pm Reply with quote
I have great anticipation for the Mario movie. That it's all-animated alone will hopefully assure it's a success. I trust Nintendo, they have the potential to have Illumination do that movie justice. I was always a bit iffy about the Sonic movie basically being a live-action Sonic X. And with this, my worst fears were realized.

Plus, Jim Carrey's career has gone to the dumps. He was one of the biggest box office draws in the last decade. Boy, how fast he's fallen. Not to mention his irrational hatred of President Trump isn't helping. Don't get me wrong, I hate Trump too, but I would never create such disgusting art as he's done.

Last edited by CastMember1991 on Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:12 am; edited 1 time in total
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:07 pm Reply with quote
I really don’t see the issue with this. A ridiculous, over the top actor is going to play a ridiculous, over the top villain. It seems like a decent fit to me.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:43 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
Not to mention his irrational hatred of President Trump isn't helping. Don't get me wrong, I hate Trump too, but I would never create such disgusting art as he's done.

Given that Trump is a disgusting person who mocks disabled people, calls women nasty and makes weird comments that may or may not be related to menstruation cycles, has had restaurants associated with his hotels and resorts get slapped with health violations, and is known to consume McDonald's habitually making "disgusting" art of him is just him being on point Razz

Chrono1000 wrote:
The more I hear about the development of the Sonic the Hedgehog movie the more I wonder if the people making it have seen the games.

Using the games for reference isn't exactly logical given that the Genesis era games (that half the fanbase considers the Bible with regards to continuity) gave the characters virtually no characterization or personalities whereas the Dreamcast Era games are a bit divisive regards to certain characters .

Spawn29 wrote:
Jim Carrey as Eggman would have been cool if it was 1996. This idea of a movie feels so late that I feel like it should have came out in 1993-1996 when Sonic was still in his prime on the Genesis.

Given how bad the Super Mario Bros. and Street Fighter movies turned out that might have had a substantial role in why it didn't happen at the time.

DigitalScratch wrote:

To be fair, even though Sonic Boom was a terrible series of games the TV Show can actually be pretty hilarious with how self-aware it is. Point is: lately it seems like Sonic as a franchise can’t even take itself seriously,

The game's stopped mostly stopped exclusively taking themselves seriously with Spinball though they wouldn't go for a more permanent balance shift at least til Adventure came around instead of leaning too heavily towards either comedy or drama like the TV shows of the 90's did.
Sobe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:17 am Reply with quote
EducatedRuffian wrote:
I have one question: wtf?

Why the hell not? This is something I ABSOLUTELY. HAVE. TO. SEE. NOW. LOL!!!

In other news:
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3