• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Pokémon the Movie: Everyone's Story

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gator Gamer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:10 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I will agree the dub music is the weakest part of the TPCI Pokemon dub though the theme songs are still pretty good to me. While I'll always love Veronica Taylor as Ash, I think Sarah Natochenny does a fine job as Ash and I appreciate she does her own unique take on the character instead of trying to copy Veronica and she doesn't deserve all the hate she gets. Team Rocket is the only ones that still sounds like copycat voices and I can't ever quite get used to but they're fine enough. Jessie is probably the best of the Team Rocket TPCI VAs. The post 4Kids characters generally sound fine to me and I don't have any issue with them. If the music is the biggest issue with the TPCI dub, I feel like the level of hate it gets from purist fans is a bit disproportionate at times. I feel like most of the hatred of the TPCI dub is due to the terrible way they treated the 4Kids cast which is a valid criticism and out of nostalgia for the 4Kids dub but not really a complaint about the actual quality of the TPCI dub.

The voice-acting for both the dubs just felt really hollow and monotonous compared to Rika Matsumoto, Aoi Yuki, Megumi Toyoguchi, and other great seiyuu. Music is a pretty big deal, especially if you've seen that comparison clip on YouTube, but voice-acting, content cuts, and dialog are just as important I feel. I switched to the Japanese version like 15 years ago and haven't looked back since.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:21 am Reply with quote
Dub vs sub voice acting quality is a subjective judgement value and I think the Pokemon dub is at least good as any other anime dub in terms of voice acting. Also it's quite possible to enjoy both the dub and sub of something. Music is also a subjective value and there are many dubs with changed music scores that anime fans enjoy. I prefer to watch the dub for myself to make my own judgement versus judging the entire dub based on a YouTube video. Pokemon is a children's show aimed at a broad audience and not adult otaku fans. Nintendo and Disney are family friendly brand names that will make business decisions in regards to content cuts to protect their brand name as opposed to appease a small number of older otaku that weren't watching their dub to begin with.
peno

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Aquasakura wrote:

From what I see it 4kids did a terrible job with the U.S dubbing of pokémon but at least did an excellent job when it came to providing original music to the show. When the pokémon anime switch over from what I have heard and seen a bit it would appear it has become the other way around. On the one hand it seems that we have been getting better quality dubs of the shows but a weaker music score.

Actually, TPCI was better with original music than 4Kids was up until somewhere during BW, when they decided to only use their own music. Regarding this, I actually find it ironic that TPCI still credits Shinji Miyazaki in openings, even though they use no single piece of his music nowadays.

As for acting, my opinion is, that even though Sarah Natochenny improved her voice and especially voice acting significantly since the end of DP, I still consider her take on Ash as unprofessional. I am sorry, but it is clear she is not professional VA and it's heard. On the other hand, I love TPCI's voice for James. IMO, James was the weakest part of main cast in 4Kids era, especially in serious scenes. Carther Cathcart is closer, voice acting-wise, to the take of Shin'ichirō Miki and I definitely like that.

As for the movies, I too didn't see all of them yet, but from those I did, my favourites are definitely Deoxys and Darkrai movies, because they are the only ones which didn't glorify Ash. My least favourites, on the other hand, are Lugia, Lucario and Manaphy movies, exactly for the reasons I wrote before, because they glorify Ash to the point he will steal the shine from any other characters. That was especially sad in Manaphy movie, which was supposed to be about May and Manaphy, but in the end was about Ash saving the day again and stealing May's last time to shine in movie.
Southkaio

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Here's my dream voice cast for this Pokémovie!

Ash Ketchum: Veronica Taylor
Jessie: Michelle Ruff
James: Tony Oliver
Meowth: Cam Clarke
Lisa: Jennifer Hale
Kagachi: Wilson Bethel of Hart of Dixie fame
Torito: Raphael Corkhill
Hisui: Caroline Rhea a.k.a. Hilda Spellman
Largo: Kristen Schaal a.k.a. Mabel Pines
Riku: Marianne Miller
Mayor Oliver: Lochlyn Munro of Riverdale fame
Zeraora: Maurice LaMarche
Narrator: Patrick Warburton

What are your thoughs on each voice actor/actress choice?
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:52 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
which is the exact reason why diehard pokemon fans outside of japan DO NOT WATCH THE ENGLISH DUB and instead are watching both the TV series as well as the movies via fansub ever since nintendo & game freak have pretty much blocked the importing of the animax English dub version which are mean to be seen by English viewers of that region.

this is a practice that NEEDS to change if they want the series to be viewed by those that aren't in elementary school!

There’s an Animax dub? Why haven’t I heard of it?
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:29 pm Reply with quote
peno wrote:
Actually, TPCI was better with original music than 4Kids was up until somewhere during BW, when they decided to only use their own music. Regarding this, I actually find it ironic that TPCI still credits Shinji Miyazaki in openings, even though they use no single piece of his music nowadays.

Really!? Also it's odd to hear they would give credit to a composer/arranger if they no longer use his music. I guess it's just a means of being consistent with crediting the entire Japanese staff that have worked on the Pokémon anime.

peno wrote:
As for the movies, I too didn't see all of them yet, but from those I did, my favourites are definitely Deoxys and Darkrai movies, because they are the only ones which didn't glorify Ash. My least favourites, on the other hand, are Lugia, Lucario and Manaphy movies, exactly for the reasons I wrote before, because they glorify Ash to the point he will steal the shine from any other characters. That was especially sad in Manaphy movie, which was supposed to be about May and Manaphy, but in the end was about Ash saving the day again and stealing May's last time to shine in movie.

I do see where you are coming from with what happen in The Pokémon Ranger and the Prince of the Sea. That one scene in the climax should had been May's time in the spotlight but no it's given to Ash instead. I get that he is the face of the Pokémon anime and movies at this point, and that they are not going to change that (even though it would have been nice if they did), but with the amount of time Ash gets in the spotlight they should allow for the other characters to shine in films. Being that is the case if what Callum Mary said to be true in the review then this latest film is something you might end up adding to your favorites, Peno.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Gator Gamer wrote:

The voice-acting for both the dubs just felt really hollow and monotonous compared to Rika Matsumoto, Aoi Yuki, Megumi Toyoguchi, and other great seiyuu. Music is a pretty big deal, especially if you've seen that comparison clip on YouTube, but voice-acting, content cuts, and dialog are just as important I feel. I switched to the Japanese version like 15 years ago and haven't looked back since.

same with me, though i partly switched to the japaneese version during best wishes and completely switched after XY!

while little kids wouldn't care, some of the diehard fans skip sun & moon cause of those ugly designs, while others skip sun and moon cause of the storylines compared in the past. in best wishes and XY , the storylines involving villains like plasma and lysandere were dark in nature , but in sun and moon, other than the ultra beast arc involving nebby, its like their making the series so non dark in nature compared to the past arcs that some fans believe that its to appease to the US audience.

the viewership of sun and moon compared to XY in japan pretty much proves my case.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:09 pm Reply with quote
It's too bad because they're missing some of the best sakuga of the entire franchise by skipping Sun and Moon just because it's not dark and edgy.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:52 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:

while little kids wouldn't care, some of the diehard fans skip sun & moon cause of those ugly designs, while others skip sun and moon cause of the storylines compared in the past. in best wishes and XY , the storylines involving villains like plasma and lysandere were dark in nature , but in sun and moon, other than the ultra beast arc involving nebby, its like their making the series so non dark in nature compared to the past arcs that some fans believe that its to appease to the US audience.

the viewership of sun and moon compared to XY in japan pretty much proves my case.

I don't know about the viewership ship in Japan for Sun and Moon compared to the sixth gen anime, but for them to think they are making the story for the latest anime more light hearted as a means to appease the U.S fans, I feel, is not correct. I don't know the best way to say it (and it may be incorrect) but it feels like they are thinking this way because they think OLM should cater to their needs as appose to sticking with the idea that the Pokémon franchise is for children.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
TruthTeller

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Gator Gamer wrote:

I think the 4Kids dub had good voice acting (even their worst wasn't as bad as the TPCi dub's voice acting has been for most of its run, I'd gladly take Hoenn era James back if it means James Carter Cathcart's nasally, old goofy man with a sinus infection/cold would go away, he's even further from Shinichiro Miki than both Eric Stuart and Ted Lewis, peno is making nonsense up), but the TPCi dub still has dreadful voice acting- Sarah Natochenny can't even keep her voice consistent from episode to episode anymore, it ranges from sounding like a teenage girl to a grown woman with a raspy, gruff voice these days. Veronica Taylor was never, ever this bad in the English dub, but regardless I agree the Japanese Version is the way to go.

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
For as much as fans complain about the business practices of TPCI, having seen both the dub and Japanese version of Pokemon, the dub is about faithful to the original as it's going to get and it's pretty faithful for a localized dub for kids. The only significant changes I can tell have been made are changing the music and localizing the names.

No, those are not the only changes TPCi makes to the dub, you're entirely incorrect- TPCi rewrite Team Rocket's dialogue even more than 4Kids did, TPCi shove awful alliterations down Jessie and James' throats like "primo Pokemon," "primo perps, slang like "Dig it," "Mugs, "Oy vey," "Lugs," and the like down Meowth's throat 24/7, and also love having them insult each other in English. 4Kids actually did a better job adapting the script writing than TPCi did for Team Rocket, at the very least, even Dogasu admitted that. They've also called potions "lotions," Dark pulse "Dog pulse," Greninja "Greninjo," etc. so the TPCi dub still made script errors just like the 4Kids dub did, and TPCi has an annoying habit of rewriting the scripts for the protagonists as well. 4Kids at least didn't have him saying stuff like "So psyched," "Down the hatch" "I'm so stoked," "That's the way we roll" etc. yet TPCi loves giving Ash awful slang-y dialogue he didn't say in the 4Kids dub and certainly didn't in the Japanese Version.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Aquasakura wrote:

I don't know about the viewership ship in Japan for Sun and Moon compared to the sixth gen anime, but for them to think they are making the story for the latest anime more light hearted as a means to appease the U.S fans, I feel, is not correct. I don't know the best way to say it (and it may be incorrect) but it feels like they are thinking this way because they think OLM should cater to their needs as appose to sticking with the idea that the Pokémon franchise is for children.

well of course. its a kids series at its core no matter what language version. the problem is that some japanese fans and some diehard pokemon fans in general are complaining that the franchise is starting to pander WAY TOO MUCH to the western audience and it definitely showed when they premiered the character designs in sun and moon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TruthTeller

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:14 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
Aquasakura wrote:

well of course. its a kids series at its core no matter what language version. the problem is that some japanese fans and some diehard pokemon fans in general are complaining that the franchise is starting to pander WAY TOO MUCH to the western audience and it definitely showed when they premiered the character designs in sun and moon.

The problem is also that TPCi does a horrible job dubbing the Series, and is even worse than 4Kids in handling said- when even 4Kids did a better job dubbing a Series, you know you're in trouble. DuArt doesn't even try- as long as people will watch anything they do, they know they can get profits, regardless of terrible it is.

Aquasakura wrote:

From what I see it 4kids did a terrible job with the U.S dubbing of pokémon but at least did an excellent job when it came to providing original music to the show. When the pokémon anime switch over from what I have heard and seen a bit it would appear it has become the other way around.

Disagreed, 100%- TPCi did a terrible job with the U.S. dubbing of Pokemon and 4Kids did a better job, if anyone: 4Kids not only kept more of the original Japanese music than TPCi has in both the Anime & Movies by this point, but contrary to the false rumors spread here, 4Kids' script writing was more faithful to the Japanese Version for Team Rocket than TPCi's, less slang-y for Ash & his friends, and unlike TPCi, 4Kids wasn't afraid to refer to God, Heaven, and Death in later years (Johto onward) in their scripts. TPCi has been covering up references to God & Heaven since the Diamond & Pearl dub began, and has been hiding death references since the XY dub began. So, no, they make tons of changes to the scripts still- Takato is lying about that.

That rumor that TPCi does script translations faithfully? No, they're even more unfaithful than 4Kids was at this point.

That rumor that TPCi doesn't censor stuff like 4Kids did? Another lie. TPCi has even censored stuff out 4Kids kept in their dub like wine cups, Meowth drowning, and souls coming out of bodies in the SM dub! And they were censoring stuff out in the XYZ dub, too, Ash being crucified as one example- 12 minutes long worth of re-animation, in fact!

And the voice acting was way better in the 4Kids dub than in the TPCi dub- Veronica Taylor actually sounded like a boy as Ash, not a woman with a deep, gravelly voice like Sarah Natochenny, Eric Stuart sounded like a 25 year old man with a suave voice as James unlike James Cathcart who sounds like a 60 year old goofy, snooty man with a cold, etc. I could go on all day about how terrible the voice acting is in the current dub, but I'll save that topic for another day. What you (and everyone) needs to know is that the TPCi dub had all the same flaws of the 4Kids dub, and none of the good traits.

It's inexcusable on the music, by the way, TPCi is going to re-score this film with dub music for the 5th time in a row, and even 4Kids only re-scored the first 3 films and kept the Japanese music for all the rest they dubbed until Movie 8. The Pokemon dub has gotten worse since TPCi took over than it ever was in the 4Kids days- watch this and find out how/why:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dummXsPn-hA

P.S. Peno is incorrect on the music as well, but then his laughably bad statement that JCC James sounds anything like Japanese James should tell you how wrong he gets stuff- 4Kids James was never as bad as JCC James is these days.

The truth is 4Kids kept most of the Japanese music in Seasons 1-3 as well as Movies 4-8, and the only time TPCi kept most of the Japanese music was in Season 14 and Movies 9-16. All the other dub seasons keep less than 50% of the Japanese music, and TPCi has been replacing more Japanese music than 4Kids ever did from late BW (Season 16) onward all the way into SM (Season 21) in the Anime, and the Movies are now re-scored again since XY started.
peno

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:29 am Reply with quote
I am still holding my grounds for music in anime. At least for season 9 and whole DP that was mostly true. Yeah, like 4Kids, they had better episodes and worse episodes regarding music, but all in all, I am still standing behind my opinion that TPCI were better with music than 4Kids until BW, when they started to replace more and more music to the point where we are now, when we have no original music, which is sad.
As for James, I never said Cathcart is close to Miki, voice-wise. But his voice acting is way better than Stuart's, especially in serious scenes. Just compare the episode where Jessie and James left Arbok and Weezing with episode James left Chimecho or the episode he left Cacnea and tell me you like James' voice acing in the first mentioned episode. It is sad to say, but for some reason, Stuart's James simply couldn't stay serious, even if the script requires him to be, whereas, Cathcart has no problem to put seriousness to James' voice acting. I don't blame Stuart for this flaw, as I know well he could do better (and did even in Pokémon with Brock, mostly), but nevertheless, serious James never was good part of 4Kids' dub of Pokémon.
TruthTeller

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:01 am Reply with quote
peno wrote:
I am still holding my grounds for music in anime. At least for season 9 and whole DP that was mostly true. Yeah, like 4Kids, they had better episodes and worse episodes regarding music, but all in all, I am still standing behind my opinion that TPCI were better with music than 4Kids until BW, when they started to replace more and more music to the point where we are now, when we have no original music, which is sad.

Let me begin by addressing your points on the music. First off, that isn't actually true in Season 9, or in DP's dub- allow me to elaborate on what I'm saying...here's the source: spoiler[ https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ao-X2sMfoDQfozqrk9YtErU4BVSnyUQpr1An692ZfzM/edit]

In Season 9, TPCi only kept 26% of the Japanese music: that, for the record, is worse than 4Kids was at keeping Japanese music in Seasons 1-7, and only better than 4Kids was in Season 8. Additionally, during both Seasons 9 & 10, they literally kept on recycling 4Kids dub music every even numbered episode, so I don't see how they did any better during Battle Frontier whatosever. The Kanto-Advanced Challenge Seasons in the English dub kept more Japanese music than Battle Frontier even at that time, it's a fact.

As for DP's dub, TPCi was all over the place on music. They started out only keeping a little less Japanese music than 4Kids did in mid Johto/Season 4, then around 45-47% ish in the middle DP Seasons, and then back down to 38% ish in Season 13.

BW's first season kept more Japanese music than TPCi ever did before, with a whopping 92% kept, and then they shot back down to 36% in Season 15 all of a sudden.

From here on, in Black and White's final dub season (Adventures in Unova/Season 16), they only kept 20% of the Japanese music (which is equal to 4Kids in Season 8 and worse than all the rest of the seasons of the 4Kids dub).

You are, however, correct that XY onward keeps less Japanese music than ever before. TPCi has been replacing more Japanese music than 4Kids did in even AG since XY started (19.3% at the start of Season 17, down to 17% in Season 18, down to 15% in Season 19), and then in Season 21 now in Sun & Moon, we're down to single digits of Japanese music kept (a pathetic 9.2% kept only on average).

What's even more infuriating on the music front with TPCi, is that even 4Kids had the sense to keep the Japanese music in the last 5 films they dubbed, Movie 8 kept 100% of the Japanese music (54 out of 54 tracks) to compensate for the lackluster season during that period, but since XY's dub, we don't even have that- now the Movies are almost completely re-scored, too, and the last 4 have only kept 1.7-10% of the Japanese music. This will make it 5 Movies with dub music under their tenure (inevitable due to TPCi's recent love of Ed Goldfarb in the last 5 years), sadly, even 4Kids did not do this later on and spared the films from the music changes.

I'd say on the whole, 4Kids did a better job on the music front, when you factor everything in- their lows were not as bad as TPCi's current lows in XY & SM at any point, and they kept 70% ish of the Japanese music in the first 3 seasons, which is better than TPCi was in the last 12 years on that front, outside of Season 14 (first season of BW).

There's also the fact 4Kids had 45 second to 1 min long intros, whereas TPCi gave us 30 second intros, and the last one is even shorter than that, with only 28 seconds- they blew it on OPs, too, imo.

Of course, this is not the only thing I feel TPCi manage to do worse than 4Kids, in fairness- the script translation contrary to popular opinion is not faithful at all and they still rewrite tons of dialogue (see: http://www.pocketmonsters.net/episodes/viewep/465/Notes, http://www.pocketmonsters.net/episodes/viewep/1123/Notes, http://www.pocketmonsters.net/episodes/viewep/1122/Notes, any of Team Rocket's dialogue in the SM dub when compared to the Japanese Version, Ash's "so psyched," "stoked," "down the hatch," etc. rewrites), in addition to TPCi still doing censorship/edits to the dub like 4Kids did (as one example, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgkLZhSs9QA). People just want to lie to themselves and pretend it's not the case, but it is, things are even worse than they were then these days...Sad

peno wrote:
For some reason, Stuart's James simply couldn't stay serious, even if the script requires him to be, whereas, Cathcart has no problem to put seriousness to James' voice acting. I don't blame Stuart for this flaw, as I know well he could do better (and did even in Pokémon with Brock, mostly), but nevertheless, serious James never was good part of 4Kids' dub of Pokémon.

On this point, just trimmed it for convenience in terms of replying, Cathcart's James had his issues with seriousness to me as well- he actually ruined the Cacnea release for me much like Stuart did with Weezing, only in Cathcart's case with his nasally, goofy tone when he left it in the DP dub, overacted + screamed his lines in the Noodles! Roamin' Off! episode, and since XY-SM's dub, has the exact same problem as Stuart's James did later in AG with shouting everything and being goofy (such as in the example you cited in "A Poached Ego"), but nowadays, Cathcart makes James sound like an elderly man with sinus issues on top of that same goofy delivery returning, IMO.

I do agree with you that Stuart's Brock was superior to his James overall and well into AG he was able to at least keep the former more well rounded than the latter (I personally blame Darren Dunstan's direction for the goofier delivery later for his James), but I'd rather take even his goofiest James from even Hoenn there back over how Cathcart's James has been in XY & SM, it's devolved a lot from his Battle Frontier days- Cathcart now has the same goofy, shout-y delivery Stuart had in early Hoenn, but in addition to that, sounds like an elderly man with a cold to boot now. These days, Cathcart's James is the worst of his prior nasally tone with Stuart's goofier tone in one package- I blame Lisa Ortiz for dragging his performance downward lately, however, seeing as she's the current voice director for the dub. I'd also argue Stuart's James at its best was capable of being taken seriously, as well, if you watch an Original Series dub episode you'll be able to see the difference.

P.S. I also do agree with you on Sarah Natochenny's acting being absolutely lifeless with Ash- will never get the defenses for it: 12 years into the role, and she still has the emotional range of wood, IMO. Rica Matsumoto at least has some energy behind her performance as Satoshi...and that's not even getting into how little Natochenny sounds like a child at all- I've heard grown women with her voice for him, but not kids.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:13 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
the problem is that some japanese fans and some diehard pokemon fans in general are complaining that the franchise is starting to pander WAY TOO MUCH to the western audience and it definitely showed when they premiered the character designs in sun and moon.

The reason behind the character designs for Sun and Moon was to help in terms of animation, and from I see it these character designs have worked out for the animators behind the anime. I think this comes off as being assumptions by people who simply do not like the character designs which is fine that they don't as art is subjective, but I disagree in that the changes to the characters has anything to do with pandering to people who live in Europe and the Americas.

TruthTeller wrote:
Disagreed, 100%- TPCi did a terrible job with the U.S. dubbing of Pokemon and 4Kids did a better job, if anyone: 4Kids not only kept more of the original Japanese music than TPCi has in both the Anime & Movies by this point, but contrary to the false rumors spread here, 4Kids' script writing was more faithful to the Japanese Version for Team Rocket than TPCi's, less slang-y for Ash & his friends, and unlike TPCi, 4Kids wasn't afraid to refer to God, Heaven, and Death in later years (Johto onward) in their scripts. TPCi has been covering up references to God & Heaven since the Diamond & Pearl dub began, and has been hiding death references since the XY dub began. So, no, they make tons of changes to the scripts still- Takato is lying about that.

That rumor that TPCi does script translations faithfully? No, they're even more unfaithful than 4Kids was at this point.

That rumor that TPCi doesn't censor stuff like 4Kids did? Another lie. TPCi has even censored stuff out 4Kids kept in their dub like wine cups, Meowth drowning, and souls coming out of bodies in the SM dub! And they were censoring stuff out in the XYZ dub, too, Ash being crucified as one example- 12 minutes long worth of re-animation, in fact!

And the voice acting was way better in the 4Kids dub than in the TPCi dub- Veronica Taylor actually sounded like a boy as Ash, not a woman with a deep, gravelly voice like Sarah Natochenny, Eric Stuart sounded like a 25 year old man with a suave voice as James unlike James Cathcart who sounds like a 60 year old goofy, snooty man with a cold, etc. I could go on all day about how terrible the voice acting is in the current dub, but I'll save that topic for another day. What you (and everyone) needs to know is that the TPCi dub had all the same flaws of the 4Kids dub, and none of the good traits.

It's inexcusable on the music, by the way, TPCi is going to re-score this film with dub music for the 5th time in a row, and even 4Kids only re-scored the first 3 films and kept the Japanese music for all the rest they dubbed until Movie 8. The Pokemon dub has gotten worse since TPCi took over than it ever was in the 4Kids days- watch this and find out how/why:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dummXsPn-hA

P.S. Peno is incorrect on the music as well, but then his laughably bad statement that JCC James sounds anything like Japanese James should tell you how wrong he gets stuff- 4Kids James was never as bad as JCC James is these days.

The truth is 4Kids kept most of the Japanese music in Seasons 1-3 as well as Movies 4-8, and the only time TPCi kept most of the Japanese music was in Season 14 and Movies 9-16. All the other dub seasons keep less than 50% of the Japanese music, and TPCi has been replacing more Japanese music than 4Kids ever did from late BW (Season 16) onward all the way into SM (Season 21) in the Anime, and the Movies are now re-scored again since XY started.

Thinking back I should have specify and said that 4kids did a better job when it came to coming up with original theme songs for the Pokémon anime as appose to The Pokémon Company International (which by the way took me until this morning for me to click what you all mean when you kept referring to "TPCI"). Being that it has been a long time since I have watch the U.S dub of the Pokémon anime I am not too familiar with how much the background music has change since 4kids lost the license (upon looking at a few videos showing the difference), but I am a bit more familiar with how the quality of the opening theme songs have dropped since 4kids no longer has Pokémon.

As for the overall U.S dub of the Pokémon anime being worst off then it was with 4kids after watching the video you recommended me to watch this morning. I am just getting the impression that both dubs are not that great. However watching the video it made me realize or reminded me of how much heart 4kids put into to handling the Pokémon anime as appose to The Pokémon Company International, which is odd for me that a company that is name and focus on the Pokémon franchise that they would seem to be putting less effort then 4kids ever did. It kind of feels like they do not seem to have as much faith in the franchise as 4kids did.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3