• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Azur Lane Warship Girl Game Gets TV Anime by Grisaia Director, Studio

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see it get an anime. I've been playing the game since the English version's open beta, and I might go so far to say that it is one of the best gacha type games I've played. While Rewrite did have its issues, I liked the Grisaia anime, especially Eden, so I'm not concerned in that regard. I'm not surprised that it has gotten an anime, given how Azur Lane has begun to rival its predecessor Kancolle in fan art on pixiv and in doujinshi over the past year.

John Hayabusa wrote:
Totally agree. Just do not make some self-insert mentor guy and everything will be fine. Definitely no ambiguous gender garbage just because you want the series to appeal to both sides. I would rather have a series being specific and favoring one side only. I would love to see Azur Lane be the Love Live to Kancolle's Idolmaster. Azur Lane and Love Live showing that a Girls Doing Things multimedia project can be a success without having the overused trope of some featureless generic male teacher guiding the girls..

So ultimately this is what it comes down to, eh? You aren't satisfied with being only part of a show's audience, but rather demand that they pander to you exclusively. I am all for more yuri shows (Bloom Into You is one of my most anticipated shows of the coming season) and I would like to see adaptations of games where the self insert's gender is ambiguous or allows you to pick a male or female one go with the female version, but I have no desire to see appeased such extremism that demands to be pandered to exclusively, decries creators who fail to do so greedy traitors, and looks down on other segments of the fandom and the shows made for them.

As for this game's adaptation, unless it is very different from the game, I expect it to be more like Kancolle than Love Live.

VORTIA wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:
It's basically Kancolle except lacking one of the most important things that made me want to play Kancolle in the first place (not being a money pit).
How's Azur Lane a money pit? Gacha cubes flow like water & it spits out SSRs like no other game I know! Pretty much the only thing monetized in the game is alternate costumes!

I have to agree on Azur Lane's generosity with both the items used for gatcha and the highest rarity ships from the gacha (7% versus FGO's 1%), though they could do without so many Sandys. I'll also add that Azur Lane has something that Kancolle has been lacking for me, namely being able to play it outside Japan without going through a bunch of hoops or less than legitimate means. Kancolle is probably the game that got me interested in these kind of games, but I was never able to play it, so I jumped at the chance to play a similar game in Azur Lane. Doesn't hurt that you mainly play the Allies in WWII.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm wondering what format and budget this series (?) will have, Given that it will be an adaptation of a non-Japanese source and just a second studio project.

zrnzle500 wrote:
So ultimately this is what it comes down to, eh? You aren't satisfied with being only part of a show's audience, but rather demand that they pander to you exclusively. I am all for more yuri shows (Bloom Into You is one of my most anticipated shows of the coming season) and I would like to see adaptations of games where the self insert's gender is ambiguous or allows you to pick a male or female one go with the female version, but I have no desire to see appeased such extremism that demands to be pandered to exclusively, decries creators who fail to do so greedy traitors, and looks down on other segments of the fandom and the shows made for them.

The funniest thing is that almost all recent cute boy's adaptations have female MC as a protagonist and it seems that yaoi fangirls are getting better and better with the characters of their gender. But a some part of yuri fandom for some reason is becoming more and more aggressive and hating male characters in any form.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:51 pm Reply with quote
"Director: Tensho"

Made me vomit a little bit. Ruined my favorite VN series with his terrible adaptation of it (Rewrite). Trailer looks good so far but my hopes won't be high
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
"Director: Tensho"

Made me vomit a little bit. Ruined my favorite VN series with his terrible adaptation of it (Rewrite). Trailer looks good so far but my hopes won't be high

To be fair, Rewrite was ruined the second they only approved 24 episodes for Key's longest VN. I don't know that there was any way that could have been paced & not had it been a complete mess.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:18 pm Reply with quote
As a person in the Kancolle camp, I acknowledge we had a pretty poor anime. Best of wishes you guys on that side get a good run of an anime. Our movie was good though. But I think fans of both jut want some see some high displacement vessels in action.
Heishi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Why can't they just make a cute girls engaging in Saving Private Ryan styled warfare against other cute girls or something like that?
That would be a spectacle to see!
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:20 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:

As for this game's adaptation, unless it is very different from the game, I expect it to be more like Kancolle than Love Live.

Perhaps I should have said pandering to one fanbase while not overlooking the other. However, do you actually believe that everything is perfect when there is a self-insert character? As well as trying to appeal to two or more opposing sides means good? What about Idolmaster? Its anime catered to self-insert fans with male Producer-sans while barely throwing anything for yuri fans. And there is Love Live that knows its yuri fans well enough to ramp up the yuri factor in Sunshine.

I do not know if you have been living under a rock but there has been a recent surge of multimedia projects that do not have or do not prioritize that character, whether those series are about boys and girls. HaiFuri, Toji no Miko, Revue Starlight, Akanesasu, and Kotobuki. Considering that Revue's sales performance is going well, it shows that you do not need that type of person in your big project. Uma Musume could have joined them but too bad it had Trainer-san (male). The fact that it could not make profit on its own and then cheated the sales rankings with an unrelated series is embarrassing and hilarious.

What is hilarious about your post is that you are expecting Azur Lane to be more like Kancolle when it already is since its inception. Do you want it to have a gender-ambiguous self-insert too? The anime's handling of the Admiral is a factor that brought down the Kancolle anime. Frankly, I would rather have the person fully featured, gender revealed, and disappoint one side. Unlike you, I want AL find its way to separate itself from Kancolle instead of making itself an even bigger copycat.

I am down for a female self-insert but considered that the anime-mobage industry, particularly Fate Grand Online and Granblue Fantasy, plays favoritism for male ones, it is going to be a miracle for that to happen. I know well that I am just denying the high possibility of a male SI but if this somehow gets a female SI, that is probably going to be one of the things that will make a difference.

#HayamiLover wrote:
The funniest thing is that almost all recent cute boy's adaptations have female MC as a protagonist and it seems that yaoi fangirls are getting better and better with the characters of their gender. But a some part of yuri fandom for some reason is becoming more and more aggressive and hating male characters in any form.

This is some sad petty cherry-picking right there. Parts of yuri fandom do have extremists like myself but the whole fandom is still a minority and yuri is still a niche market despite more yuri anime are produced now. What makes you think fujoshi/yaoi fangirls are much better than them? Why did Idolmaster Side:M not have a female Producer-san for its male idol group or why does BanG Dream's male band take place in another universe? If you genderflip your hypocritical post, it makes another fact. Just because there are yuri fanboys hating men in their yuri/CGDCT does not mean there is no such thing as yaoi fangirls hating women in their yaoi/CBDCT. There are also yaoi fanboys and yuri fangirls, mind you.

Heishi wrote:
Why can't they just make a cute girls engaging in Saving Private Ryan styled warfare against other cute girls or something like that?
That would be a spectacle to see!

If only this anime can be like that.....
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:27 pm Reply with quote
@John Hayabusa You seem to be misunderstanding. I have never argued having a self insert makes things perfect or even that it is desirable personally, or that there isn't a market for games/shows with a female cast and no self-insert (Revue Starlight is one of, if not my favorite show this season). I don't say that Azur Lane's anime will likely be similar to Kancolle in regards to the presence of a self insert because I necessarily want it that way, that's just my impression of the game, who they seem to be targeting, and who is playing it, at least on the English version. If you believe content creators do right by their fans by sticking with them and not trying to appeal to other segments of the fandom, why should they abandon self insert fans and try to appeal to yuri fans?

Personally, I have never felt threatened by creators trying to appeal to other parts of the fandom. I'm a fan of Idolmaster (and Love Live and Love Live Sunshine for the record), but I've had no problem with Idolmaster's creators appealing to female fans too with Side M. Heck, I even watched it and enjoyed it myself - not as good as the 2011 anime in terms of production but overall still in the same spirit.

I'm not really worried about Azur Lane failing to stand out from Kancolle, given that Azur Lane seems to be about even with Kancolle in terms of fan art on pixiv despite the game's similarities to Kancolle and only having been out for one year.

Frankly, the role (or non-role) of the game's self insert will likely not be a major factor in whether I think Azur Lane's anime will be good or not, which will be the quality of the production and how well they add a story and character arcs beyond WWII but the Allies this time.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:02 pm Reply with quote
KanColle's biggest problem, from my view, was two-fold. One, the game was never available outside Japan, so its reliance on hype and buzz extended only so far as those willing and able to go through the rigmarole of playing a Japanese game, in Japanese, on Japanese servers, in a place outside Japan. In other words, it had only a niche audience of ardent fans to appeal to. The second issue is KanColle itself. The game, and the various media outside of the anime, have divergent stories from everything to just who they are fighting, to how big the girls are even supposed to be. There's even a manga adaptation where the girls are actually supposed to be giantesses.

The lack of a choice on gender of the admiral in Kancolle is a non-issue since the anime doesn't do much to address, let alone accentuate, any of the romance angles that the game did. Nothing overtly prevents the Admiral from being a woman aside from whatever ideas of gender roles and sexuality a person carries into it.

Azur Lane is going to be a little more tricky to do that with due to the Promise Ring system and the idea that the Commander can marry one (or all) of the ships in the fleet. That would probably be a step too far to pretend that an unseen commander is actually female, given the clear allusions to virtually every harem anime in existence.

Production and story mechanics however, AL's story seems to take place, at least partially, in some sort of simulation. All of the character lines in the game have them remarking on events that happened in their history, including their own past defeats and sinking. Unless the anime abandons this, the story will clearly take place outside of any reasonable reality that Kancolle even attempted, and would likely place it closer to something like Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio.

Arpeggio is arguably the model that we should be looking at for the AL anime anyway. Aside from sharing the broader swath of ships to draw from with Arpeggio - as opposed to KanColle's Japanese fleet focus - Arpeggio was also a more seriously toned series, as the PV clip here for AL suggests it to be aiming for. Furthermore, with the simulation aspect pushed by the AL game, and the futuristic setting that Arpeggio holds, it might make more sense for AL to borrow a futuristic setting, regardless of how they choose to ultimately depict the naval warfare spectacle. The commander as the designated AI intelligence commanding these revived ships in the form of girls should manage to allow them to pick a gender for the commander, while preserving the idea in fandom and in the practicality of the game that the commander could feasibly be male or female.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Great news for Azur Lane and it's fans. And congrats on being one of the few non-japanese gacha games to get an official anime.
This make the chances of a Girls' Frontline anime seem more likely since an Anime PV of Girls' Frontline is in the works below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Xi2yHqQzC0
Vadara

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Random Name wrote:
Hoping they go the kancolle route and leave the commanders gender ambiguous.

AL's commander is male, there's one ship that calls you "young boy". Hopefully they don't pussy out and actually have a male commander in this anime.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:17 am Reply with quote
John Hayabusa wrote:
I have seen this all over the place for years and it is amazing that a non-Japanese series has gotten much attention of Japan enough to spawn several projects. And from the trailer, the anime is already looking good.

Random Name wrote:
Hoping they go the kancolle route and leave the commanders gender ambiguous.

Even better, do not be like Kancolle and just have it without the commander(s) or self-insert guy(s). Ambiguous gender is not going to do justice and Kancolle did that because it did not want to leave out either self-insert fans or yuri fans since it was a favorite for both sides. I can only hope that it does not pull off an Uma Musume down the line. If this becomes another self-insert anime, then that would be really devastating.

To any one here, what do you define as being a self-insert anime character?
pwnagemaster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:46 am Reply with quote
Responding to a couple of you, but quoting is a pain on my phone.

Kancolle girls definitely remember their pasts. It's why anime Akagi kept having flashbacks to when she sank at Midway, and why Shigure in the game more or less has PTSD from seeing the rest of Nishimura's fleet sink all in the same battle.

Kancolle also has a marriage mechanic. The anime just didn't get to that point (unless it happens in the movie, which I haven't seen yet).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2