• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Anime Series to Help You Relive Your Goth Phase [2018-09-15]

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I almost added Orange to the poll, but then remembered it actually switched to a seinen magazine midway through its run, so, uh...guess that's an indication it's good for guys? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:31 am Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
I almost added Orange to the poll, but then remembered it actually switched to a seinen magazine midway through its run, so, uh...guess that's an indication it's good for guys? Laughing

Oh whoops, I just added Orange and didn't know about that! Laughing

I also voted for My Love Story!! Those two plus Kodocha are three shoujo manga series that both my husband and I have enjoyed. We also both read some josei (currently Ooku, Descending Stories, and Tokyo Tarareba Girls).
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Triltaison wrote:
Takamachi Ryoko wrote:
Wait no Gosick? Or its sister series Dantalian no Shoka?

I was surprised about that, too. I also expected an appearance from Hell Girl, either Hellsing, Death Note, Shiki, Soul Eater, or Darker Than Black. The Blood the Last Vampire movie and Boogiepop Phantom were also pretty huge with the goth crowd when I was in high school.

The thing is, out of the ones you mentioned, the only one that's actually "Gothic" in the classic literary sense, which the article prefaced as being what it meant, is Hell Girl (and arguably not even then). Being popular with a high school goth crowd is honestly a pretty far cry from what actual Gothic literature is like. Those works are more pop-Goth, and usually not even that; most of what you mentioned are just dark(er) supernatural action shows. As for Gosick and Dantalian, those basically just have Gothic aesthetic influences, but the stories themselves really aren't Gothic much at all, which is something the author said she wasn't talking about here.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:32 pm Reply with quote
This list doesn't really ring true with me. I never really had a goth phase when I was a teenager. I admit,there were some darker stuff I liked but not really a lot of it. I find that this stuff isn't really me,if you guys get my drift.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2