• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fate/Grand Order Made an Estimated 9 Billion Yen in September

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
7jaws7

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:17 pm Reply with quote
I’m a big spender on this game (won’t say how much but I’m certainly no whale) and from my experience you can be free to play and still complete the stories and events with the help of friends’ support servants. The gold servants we’re gambling for are mostly for waifu/husbando purposes, but are still worthwhile gameplay wise.

The story, characters, and events are what keep me invested. Oh, and the Fate community is a bunch of misfits, but I enjoy them as well Very Happy
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Yes, AAA is based on production cost, but that is directly tied to an expectation that what is being funded is commensurate with the eventual return. Whether that pans out or not is another matter entirely, but it i think it's safe to say that there is a bigger expectation that a AAA title for PC or console pulls in these kinds of numbers than anything else.

I honestly think the gambling allegory is overblown and done to emphasize the detriment attached to the gacha mechanic. Much like the origin of the term (or more relatable to non-anime/gaming audiences, baseball cards) it is a digital version of virtually any collection-based pastime. Of all the criticisms thrown at Yu-GI-Oh cards and Pokemon cards, including actual gambling on the outcome of matches, equating the purchase of packs of cards with no guarantee that the one card you want pictured on the front is in your individual pack wasn't chief among them, certainly not at the level that FGO and gacha games in general are accused of. Gambling is the boogeyman being tossed at the real problem of some folks going way overboard in the financial morass of their spending on this game.
Chichiryuutei

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:40 pm Reply with quote
FGO/Azur lane/fortnite/etc. are a joke. I play them because they're free. But this isn't anywhere close to an AAA game.

Think Yugioh but with gambling. As you grow, you'll learn that people will give whatever excuse to dump money. No kids under 18 should be allowed to play these games or if allowed then don't give them a credit card to waste money in digital unicorns.

As far as gameplay, this is barebones. As for the events they're the same money grabs that dlc try to be without actually having anything to play/do.

If you can't get a waifu then add a friend that has it. That's what I do.
Catsplay

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:26 am Reply with quote
Chichiryuutei wrote:
FGO/Azur lane/fortnite/etc. are a joke. I play them because they're free. But this isn't anywhere close to an AAA game.

Think Yugioh but with gambling. As you grow, you'll learn that people will give whatever excuse to dump money. No kids under 18 should be allowed to play these games or if allowed then don't give them a credit card to waste money in digital unicorns.

As far as gameplay, this is barebones. As for the events they're the same money grabs that dlc try to be without actually having anything to play/do.

If you can't get a waifu then add a friend that has it. That's what I do.

I think you're missing the point that the big draw of F/GO is the on-going story and events written by some damn good Type Moon authors including Nasu himself. Of course if you're not a die hard Fate/Type Moon fan I can see not giving two shits about it but F/GO probably has the best on-going story of any mobile title out there.
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:23 am Reply with quote
Raneth wrote:
Reasons I think gacha games do well:
3. Nothing is ever nerfed. Since people are paying real money for things, developers cannot make those things less effective, only more. (They can, however, release things that powercreep them).

Depends, some gacha game do nerf some their units. Particularly the multiplayer ones. Granblue Fantasy has nerfed some of their "broken" characters from time to time. One of them literally went from able to "oneshot raid bosses" to "one of the worst SSR" until recent balance patch where the character become "decent"..
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:51 am Reply with quote
It certainly helps that Fate/Grand Order was basically an entry point for newcomers who have never played at least one of the Fate games.
bhl88

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:54 am Reply with quote
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2