• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Do Acquires MyAnimeList Website

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
I mean beyond cataloging what you've watched/read and the forums/groups what other point is there to MAL? Not trying to insult the place, I just fail to see what gains there are to be had from purchasing it. Let alone this "new vision" for it. But hey, it's not my money so whatever.

Step one: Build dominant position in a market niche by offering a free service that attracts easily identified & targeted users.
Step two: Sell your website/portal/platflorm/whatever to cash rich companies that either want to monetise those users, or previously did before you came along.
Step three: $$$$$

MAL offers a large userbase of non-Japanese anime & manga consumers who rely on the website for a specific service & will likely either be willing to pay for it, or otherwise open to related products &/or services that can be monetised. DeNA seemed to be going for the anime streaming audience but that didn't pan out (& then likely had to spend a lot of money fixing its security issues). I'd guess Media Do saw a chance to buy & plan to expand the sites ebook offerings.
batsling1234

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
Man I have problems with that site.

I hope they can do something about the toxicity rampant there.

Seriously there are way too many not-so-nice-people there.

Welcome to the internet my dude
gacha

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:

Yeah, would be nice if someone fixed this problem on the ANN forums too.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Spoofer wrote:
I have no interest in a cataloging site that lists 10 illegal ways to "own" a series before it lists a generic commercial DVD option. Site's always endorsed and promoted piracy

They removed fansub group section since last year.

Furuzaki wrote:
Hmm, feels like MAL might stop being the “Anime Index” platform if they start focusing on marketing and sales instead... Then again, a makeover might be nice.

The site is literally called MyAnimeList. It would be foolish to remove the anime listing feature as it's the only thing that 50% of their userbase uses.

Psycho 101 wrote:
I mean beyond cataloging what you've watched/read and the forums/groups what other point is there to MAL? Not trying to insult the place, I just fail to see what gains there are to be had from purchasing it. Let alone this "new vision" for it. But hey, it's not my money so whatever.

Advertising revenue. Not to mention, MAL isn't just a listing service. It's a big database and their entries and ratings are way more neat, organized, comprehensive and reliable than Anime News Network's Encyclopedia would ever hope to be. Just compare ANN's My Hero Academia and MAL's My Hero Academia page. In ANN, only 786 people rated My Hero Academia while there are 610,000+ people who rated My Hero Academia. If companies want to know which anime are trending, then they'll consider MAL to be more reliable than ANN, due to the sheer number of ratings alone regardless of whether you personally agree or disagree with the ratings. I can compare MAL with AniDB, and imho MAL has a more cleaner interface than AniDB. I could go on and on about the sheer amount of data MAL has and how it could potentially be useful for companies who know how to exploit it (i.e. You can see how the score of a particular title changes over time, etc.)
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:

Advertising revenue. Not to mention, MAL isn't just a listing service. It's a big database and their entries and ratings are way more neat, organized, comprehensive and reliable than Anime News Network's Encyclopedia would ever hope to be. Just compare ANN's My Hero Academia and MAL's My Hero Academia page. In ANN, only 786 people rated My Hero Academia while there are 610,000+ people who rated My Hero Academia. If companies want to know which anime are trending, then they'll consider MAL to be more reliable than ANN, due to the sheer number of ratings alone regardless of whether you personally agree or disagree with the ratings. I can compare MAL with AniDB, and imho MAL has a more cleaner interface than AniDB. I could go on and on about the sheer amount of data MAL has and how it could potentially be useful for companies who know how to exploit it (i.e. You can see how the score of a particular title changes over time, etc.)

I hadn't thought about it in that regard to the databasing being useful, so that is a good point. I honestly don't use the My ANN feature much (maybe as a mod I shouldn't say that lol) so I couldn't really give a good comparison personally.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:06 pm Reply with quote
I use MAL to find anime and manga info quickly, very rarely do I dip into the forums. Mainly cause I read ANN forums. So whatever is going on in the MAL forums, really doesn't concern me. If it is a blazing fire of rage, then more power to them. Even people full of rage and anger issues deserve a place to gather and discuss anime with like minded people.

ANN is not like that, so, I am here. If MAL is really a free for all, you should be thankful that there is a place for all those angry people. Cause if they are having fun (or heart attacks) on MAL, they are not on ANN.
Sloggett

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:12 pm Reply with quote
I've always enjoyed the back catalog. Jumping back to seasons from years past to find older series has come in handy on the odd occasion.

I also like that I can look up manga by Magazine. It's really a great resource for finding new interesting series.
Spoofer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
Spoofer wrote:
I have no interest in a cataloging site that lists 10 illegal ways to "own" a series before it lists a generic commercial DVD option. Site's always endorsed and promoted piracy

They removed fansub group section since last year.

Only took them how long?

And yet, still:

"Select storage type:

Hard Drive
External HD
NAS
Blu-ray (this option didn't even exist last time I checked)
DVD/CD (given the next option, this clearly means burned discs)
Retail DVD"

Mmmk.

I glance at the forums every few years, and it's 95% people pirating and stroking themselves for it while lulzing at the 5% who are buyf**s. With streaming more common these days it's prolly more like 60/35/5. Cool.

Plus I stopped being 12 decades ago. I'm way outside MAL's typical age and maturity range (current post aside).

It has done extremely well for itself, no doubt. Just like Crunchyroll, that made the big bucks by establishing itself via piracy before getting contracts thrown in their face. Cool.
Galap

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:31 pm Reply with quote
I pretty much just use it to track my list, and to search the database (though I use ANN's database for that too). Hopefully the change doesn't interfere with those functions.

One change that would be welcome would be a reversal of the decision to weebify all the the names that happened a few years ago.
explosionforgov

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Spoofer wrote:
I have no interest in a cataloging site that lists 10 illegal ways to "own" a series before it lists a generic commercial DVD option. Site's always endorsed and promoted piracy, even if it's officially become less prominent in recent years, and it's still clearly the go-to option for its obnoxiously immature userbase. Certainly not for me.

The only upside to situations like this is that sometimes a company will grab the license to a series because it's been so popularly pirated (like JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and Pop Team Epic), and a section of the former pirates will abandon the pirated version to support the official release. I'm predicting that this will happen with Oji-San to Neko, Gokushufudou, and Their Story (even though that last one's a manhwa-- I saw it in book form at Kinokuniya, but I think it was a Korean-to-Japanese translation) within the next year or so. There will always be the spiteful, stubborn people who don't believe in paying for things they like, or who will be bitter because it's Sticky Fingers, not Zipper Man, dammit, but I believe most people who have the money to pay will pay if the option is available.

And absolutely, it's very hard to find mature anime fans-- the posters here are mostly civil, but I tend to avoid the MAL and Crunchyroll forums, since the people there are often younger or more immature.
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Ehhhhhh.....I'm still salty with MAL by giving me a warning of a profile picture that was NSFW which was just a picture that anyone would find a non-NSFW imageboard + taking it down. Haven't logged in except one time to try to get rid of everything on my profile and never wanted to log in since. As much as I want to be happy for my petty salt feelings; I cannot for I know many people use the site to help them. Even when trying to use the site as little as possible, sometimes I do check on anime and manga.

TarsTarkas wrote:
I use MAL to find anime and manga info quickly, very rarely do I dip into the forums. Mainly cause I read ANN forums. So whatever is going on in the MAL forums, really doesn't concern me. If it is a blazing fire of rage, then more power to them. Even people full of rage and anger issues deserve a place to gather and discuss anime with like minded people.

Personally, I have to agree on people that do often lash-out on the MAL forums there. The only time I have ever used the forums if I need to find a forum of many years ago due to curiosity. Such as the Kokoro Connect "prank."
Swiftyy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:20 am Reply with quote
MAL lost me last year with all the security issues they had last year, and with new corporate owners I doubt they'll get me back. I suspect we'll see to see MAL continue attempt to transition into and e-book selling platform. I wonder if their users will bite...

Ermat_46 wrote:
Just compare ANN's My Hero Academia and MAL's My Hero Academia page. In ANN, only 786 people rated My Hero Academia while there are 610,000+ people who rated My Hero Academia. If companies want to know which anime are trending, then they'll consider MAL to be more reliable than ANN, due to the sheer number of ratings alone regardless of whether you personally agree or disagree with the ratings.

Companies who actually care / need to know what is trending will already know all of this from streaming / sales figure. MAL is a small drop in the ocean in comparison.
KittyEponine
ANN Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:51 am Reply with quote
I actually have a bad experience with their forums and yes as people have said here, the site went downhill over the past years. I am not sure if I'm happy or sad about this.
Nachtwandler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:43 am Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:

AniDB is way more toxic.
Shiratori-san

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:31 am Reply with quote
I can't possibly imagine my life without MAL, so I hope it won't change for the worst.

I only use it for the lists. It's great to see related titles to learn about OVAs, extras, sequels and to know if a manga has an anime and vice-versa.

I practically do not use the forums, would never in a million years buy ebooks (I'm old-school for physical books), so I basically use it to track down the titles that I've seen/read or plan to.

I absolutely love MAL, it's my favorite website, it would be a big a BIIIIG bummer to live without it, but one thing is for sure: I wouldn't spend a cent if they try to charge.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3