• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Stream Isekai Quartet, New Strike Witches, Helpful Fox Senko-san, Wise Man's Gra

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
el_morris

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
DangerMouse wrote:
Lord Vaultman wrote:
3 same day simuldubs in one season WOW!!!!!

FUNIMATION IS KILLING IT!!!
I was hoping they would get at least 12 shows to do simuldubs for and that makes 14 now kudos to them.

Now if some one can just announce the license for magmel of the blue sea.

Yeah.

Oh yes, I'm waiting on news about that one too.

Most likely Netflix exclusive.

Bilibili it's on the production comite, and since they recently partnership with Funimation, they may get this one.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:52 pm Reply with quote
el_morris wrote:
Ermat_46 wrote:
Most likely Netflix exclusive.

Bilibili it's on the production comite, and since they recently partnership with Funimation, they may get this one.

Looking at the official website, Netflix is the only site listed as streaming the show, which almost always means that it is a Netflix exclusive outside Japan as well, so Ermat_46’s instinct is probably correct.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Oh thanks, well in that case I guess we'll have to do the usual wait for it then, unless it gets some fansubs in the meantime. Still looking forward to it when the time comes if it turns out good, I liked the trailer and some impressions have mentioned that it had a Hunter x Hunter type feel to it with the tone/setting in the first ep. Not to mention always looking forward to new Yasuharu Takanashi music coming from his news shows, hopefully it ends up good and has a long run.

I suppose it makes sense this season's probably too soon for any Bilibili partnership pickups like that, especially if Netflix has been in since the beginning, since they didn't announce any specific shows when announcing the deal yet.

Anyway, another great set of pickups, like others have said Funi's done really good this season, lots of the ones I'm excited for.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:26 am Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
Ermat_46 wrote:
It's official. Crunchyroll is going to be shit moving forward.

Nah, it'll just be like how it was before; FUNimation and Crunchyroll competing for the best titles. FUNimation, in my opinion, just seems to be doing a better job this time around, certainly better than many of us were expecting.

Yah. And it always went back-and-forth, this season Funi had the Good Stuff, next season Crunchy has to Good Stuff.
Toonces

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:55 am Reply with quote
Funimation really cleaned up this season. Three literal simuldubs too.

What I find surprising is that their blog says they have more to announce. Not sure what else they could get? Bungou will most likely stay with crunchy and Magmel seems like Netflix (unless bilibili has more sway than we think). Sarazanmai is streaming on Amazon in Japan, but that may not be global.

Either way, kudos to them. Using that Sony money.
Johnamine

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:39 am Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
Oh thanks, well in that case I guess we'll have to do the usual wait for it then, unless it gets some fansubs in the meantime. Still looking forward to it when the time comes if it turns out good, I liked the trailer and some impressions have mentioned that it had a Hunter x Hunter type feel to it with the tone/setting in the first ep. Not to mention always looking forward to new Yasuharu Takanashi music coming from his news shows, hopefully it ends up good and has a long run.

I suppose it makes sense this season's probably too soon for any Bilibili partnership pickups like that, especially if Netflix has been in since the beginning, since they didn't announce any specific shows when announcing the deal yet.

Anyway, another great set of pickups, like others have said Funi's done really good this season, lots of the ones I'm excited for.

By the way, Funimation have only picked up one Bilibili-produced anime since the partnership deal signed - "Yu-No". Maybe Funimation have autonomy to choose which anime they want to pick up from Bilibili.

http://twitter.com/ultimatemegax/status/1114238215324602373
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:39 am Reply with quote
Toonces wrote:
Funimation really cleaned up this season. Three literal simuldubs too.

What I find surprising is that their blog says they have more to announce. Not sure what else they could get? Bungou will most likely stay with crunchy and Magmel seems like Netflix (unless bilibili has more sway than we think). Sarazanmai is streaming on Amazon in Japan, but that may not be global.

Either way, kudos to them. Using that Sony money.

Probably Sarazanmai.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:19 am Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
I hope FUNi goes a bit above and beyond and get some of the Bang Zoom cast to reprise their roles from Re: Zero and Konosuba.

If Tales of Zestiria the X, Danganronpa 3, and The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan's SimulDubs are anything to go by, they should be able to get most of the LA voice casts back. At least, I hope so. I mean, if they weren't gonna get the original actors to return, what would be the point of dubbing it?

I'm hoping so as well. It would be crazy if they did though, since while having a Californian cast is one thing, this cast would be half Texas, half California, and I don't think that has ever been done before to that extent (except maybe Danganronpa 3), so I'm not sure how exactly they'll make it work.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:22 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Raebo101 wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
I hope FUNi goes a bit above and beyond and get some of the Bang Zoom cast to reprise their roles from Re: Zero and Konosuba.

If Tales of Zestiria the X, Danganronpa 3, and The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan's SimulDubs are anything to go by, they should be able to get most of the LA voice casts back. At least, I hope so. I mean, if they weren't gonna get the original actors to return, what would be the point of dubbing it?

I'm hoping so as well. It would be crazy if they did though, since while having a Californian cast is one thing, this cast would be half Texas, half California, and I don't think that has ever been done before to that extent (except maybe Danganronpa 3), so I'm not sure how exactly they'll make it work.

Neptunia was half and half too. So they could probably get it done.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:08 am Reply with quote
Isekai Quartet is an interesting one. The first time I heard of it, the partnership was still active, so I thought that made it convenient. And then that changed. Funimation has been willing to make use of Source Connect or to outright outsource to LA in the past, so my hunch is that they wouldn't have gone after it if they didn't have any intention of retaining the casts as much as possible. Heck, the commentary for Fullmetal Panic IV discussed how they used source connect to record Chris Patton who moved to LA almost immediately before recording started, and they used it for some Houston actors, even though normally they would have to travel.

Strike Witches is good to have confirmed. CR got Brave Witches, so it isn't like they haven't been interested in the franchise, though maybe since it focuses on the 501st they might have decided it wasn't worth going for it.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:23 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Strike Witches is good to have confirmed. CR got Brave Witches, so it isn't like they haven't been interested in the franchise, though maybe since it focuses on the 501st they might have decided it wasn't worth going for it.

This. I almost forgot about that now that I thankfully have the blu-ray, but yeah, whew it was good seeing it get mentioned with these announcements and getting simuldubbed so that Funi’s dub for them can continue since I’ve really enjoyed the dubs for Strike/Brave Witches.
Lizuka

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:05 pm Reply with quote
To be honest they don't really have anything this season I'm that interested in. Helpful Fox Senko-san and Afterlost sound like they have potential but nothing else is really jumping out at me.
Johnamine

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Funimation acquired "Isekai Quartet" and "Strike Witches: 501st JOINT FIGHTER WING Take Off!" from Kadokawa. (Funimation's versions show Kadokawa's logo at the beginning.)

So Kadokawa's big deal with Crunchyroll has expired?
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
CR got Brave Witches, so it isn't like they haven't been interested in the franchise, though maybe since it focuses on the 501st they might have decided it wasn't worth going for it.

I would say they are quite interested, given that CR has simulcast every Witches series up to this one.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:00 am Reply with quote
If scheduling conflicts or personal-related issues happened caused Voice Actor/Actress A to be replaced by Voice Actor/Actress B, there is the likely chance that the former could record their respective role for the eventual home video release.

Another thing is that this might be the first time some Eng. dub VA experience the pressures of committing to a weekly simuldub. Note that I am talking about those that played a main or major supporting character from the respective prev. anime versions of their characters. If they played a minor character that was in a Funi simuldub for a few episodes but the characters had only a few lines for each epi., there is likely not as much pressure.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2