• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ten Biggest Anime Conventions of 2006

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asrialys

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Ranmah wrote:
Comiket had roughly over 500,000.

lol But that's in the homeland...

I've only gone to Anime Expo and a local one called Ani-Jam (attendees number in low hundreds).
PatrickD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Sun_Tze wrote:
Nothing against said list except one thing:

Wrong header. There are a few european cons that can get in that list easily. Namely Salon del Manga de Barcelona (Spain) with 57000 paid entrances.

The original article specified that it was just North America. Also, it's only anime conventions, not comic conventions.

Everyone should really read the original article for ALL the details and explainations.
http://www.anime-cons.com/news/article.shtml/403

Last edited by PatrickD on Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
PatrickD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:38 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
I know Comic-con (114,000 this year) counts each pass, so the 4-day pass I buy is 1 while someone who buys 2 1-day passes counts as 2
Seems to be the easiest way to count

Anime conventions (and all on the list) only count people once, no matter how many days they're there.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:11 pm Reply with quote
That's not surprising to me seeing how AX was number one for the year, but yeah it probably will go down since it will be in Long Beach next year. But hopefully 2008 back in Anaheim can do it some good again.
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Woot! Anime North is on the list! It was also the least expensive con. There are tons of people who go there and it's so much fun. Isn't it odd how not everyone paid? I'm guessing the volunteers were added to the list.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
1. Anime Expo: 40,647 total, 32,930 paid

Okay, someone might have to explain this to me in small words but how in the HELL, can @8,000 people get in for free? Or is it like what jgreen said:
Quote:
counting a person who buys a three-day pass as three people instead of just one.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:17 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Quote:

Okay, someone might have to explain this to me in small words but how in the HELL, can @8,000 people get in for free? Or is it like what jgreen said:
Quote:
counting a person who buys a three-day pass as three people instead of just one.

That's most likely the case. While I don't know the construction of Anaheim Convention Center, TIBE held at Taipei World Trade Center (TWTC) has motion sensors installed on the top of each gate, and there's even a LCD monitor giving real-time number of attendants inside the building.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
PatrickD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:56 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Quote:

Okay, someone might have to explain this to me in small words but how in the HELL, can @8,000 people get in for free?

Easy!
Paid attendees
+ enough staff for a convention that size (probably 1000 right there)
+ volunteers
+ dealers (which aren't counted as paid attendees)
+ industry reps
+ guests
+ guests' guests (spouses, friends, etc.)
+ press
+ other misc people who got a badge for whatever reason
...can add up quickly.

As I said before (and as the author of the original article), NONE of these conventions counted anyone multiple times. (3 day admissions were NOT counted 3 times.)
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:13 am Reply with quote
Missed the article the first time around, Sorry! Embarassed

But still 8 THOUSAND people as guests, staff, industry, sellers and press. WOW! I had no clue that it takes that many to run a convention.

Kinda disappointing that CLAMP didn't cause AnimeExpos numbers to jump way high. But I wonder if some people thought "It will be WAAAAY too crowded with CLAMP there. I think I'll take a pass this year."
Ariolander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:03 am Reply with quote
Dude I ahve been to AnimeExpo... Think that place is packed? I go to Comic-Con International every year and the last one... 150,000 on Saturday alone. Convention center was filled to capacity and they started turning people away at the door. Man what a mess 0.o;; For a comic convention the anime/manga & gaming stuff really dominated the show floor LOL SquareEnix, Viz, & Tokyopop's booths put all of the comic Industry to shame...

I will take AX's crowds any year though moving back to Long Beach I am unsure if I am gonna go to the next one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nermal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:36 am Reply with quote
PatrickD wrote:
Everyone should really read the original article for ALL the details and explainations.
http://www.anime-cons.com/news/article.shtml/403

I agree. It's chock full of info.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:25 am Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
32,000 for Otakon? I take it that's after you factor in Otakon staff, Convention Center staff, cops, etc.

Wait, Cops? Is it that rowdy?
jgreen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:48 am Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
Aresef wrote:
32,000 for Otakon? I take it that's after you factor in Otakon staff, Convention Center staff, cops, etc.

Wait, Cops? Is it that rowdy?

Both Chicago conventions (ACen and Wizard World) have cops stationed at all the entrances, as well as directing traffic outside, and there's usually one or two milling around the lobby as well. And those cops are paid for by the convention (and probably required by the convention center), not the local taxpayers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:49 am Reply with quote
Cops at an anime convention? One year at Anime North the fire department and paramedics had to come because someone fainted.
Rolando_jose

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Sun_Tze wrote:
Nothing against said list except one thing:

Wrong header. There are a few european cons that can get in that list easily. Namely Salon del Manga de Barcelona (Spain) with 57000 paid entrances.

Jejejeje, Still remember JapanExpo Paris, That IS big, bigger than the Saló de Barcelona... Dont know how many people right now, but the place was 50,000 m2 (538,195.52 square feet).

The header should be BIGGEST CONVENTIONS IN US...

Rolando
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3