• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Rakuma Poll: Over 80% of High School Girls Identify as an 'Otaku' of Something

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Super_M

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:33 am Reply with quote
capt_bunny wrote:
Not shocked on any of this. Only glad there is a number on exactly how much/percentage.

As I said, not surprised high school girls are 'otakus'. I've met more anime/manga fans that were female. Not saying this as a biological female but from my many years of experience. Many groups of anime/manga + clubs had the male students/fans mostly watched dragon ball or anything of a big three. The most they knew was 5 anime. While the female classmates/fans had watched a lot and knew a lot more too.

I'm not saying women know more than men when it comes to being super fans. I'm just saying that results like this and stereotypes tend to the opposite. Kinda like how people think that all girls/women want to date/married/love crazy when it's not true. Instead, boys/men are more wanting to date/marry/love crazy far more than them from a research study.'

Edit + update: I'm deeply sorry. I forgot to mention that I mean this is my personal experience and from the west. Yeah, most is idols but that's why my own experience.

I think majority anime fans are men at least at Japan. I mean look at previous, current, next anime seasons which are full of waifu series.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:44 am Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
Good to see that next generation of Japanese youth are broad-minded. There is nothing no wrong or shameful with being Otaku provided it doesn't make you lose perspective on other things in life.

The Japanese make fun of Americans who think that the term "Otaku" = "Enthusiastic fan".
Since we're apparently too naive to realize, as every good hardworking Tokyo citizen knows, that it clearly means "Unemployed socially-withdrawn shut-in, rejected by bad experiences, who's retreated from the sunlight to indulge his computer/internet addiction, playing MMORPG games for twelve hours a day, cultivating his plastic-figure collection, and bragging to other Internet shut-ins about his 'revolution' against work."

Apparently, some of the new generation in Japan haven't heard that definition yet either, and have adopted the Western "Enthusiastic fan" definition. Laughing
yurigasaki

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:46 am Reply with quote
Super_M wrote:
I think majority anime fans are men at least at Japan. I mean look at previous, current, next anime seasons which are full of waifu series.

You really think dudes are the only ones who love cute girls? Wink
Super_M

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:59 am Reply with quote
yurigasaki wrote:
Super_M wrote:

Nearly everyone prefer cute/hot people regardless of gender.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6HhCNzIOP4
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:03 am Reply with quote
yurigasaki wrote:
Super_M wrote:

Pretty much with what yurigasaki said.

A lot of women also have waifus too. Wotakoi made poked fun of this with Narumi saying she had a waifu. So waifus are nothing to shout that anime fans are mostly men. Hell, I and seen many female fans in other cultures + languages that fight on "who is best girl", waifu wars, and more. There are some women h-mangakas who draw a lot lwd and erotic things due to loving cute female characters. That's why I said I am not surprised many high school girls being 'otaku'. Idols, seiyuus, anime/manga, etc. I always assumed that more female fans are less vocal than male fans.
Super_M

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:15 am Reply with quote
capt_bunny wrote:
yurigasaki wrote:
Super_M wrote:

Pretty much with what yurigasaki said.

A lot of women also have waifus too. Wotakoi made poked fun of this with Narumi saying she had a waifu. So waifus are nothing to shout that anime fans are mostly men. Hell, I and seen many female fans in other cultures + languages that fight on "who is best girl", waifu wars, and more. There are some women h-mangakas who draw a lot lwd and erotic things due to loving cute female characters. That's why I said I am not surprised many high school girls being 'otaku'. Idols, seiyuus, anime/manga, etc. I always assumed that more female fans are less vocal than male fans.

Women can have waifu but let's be honest majority waifu fans are men.
https://www.mangatherapy.com/post/35650564147/shonen-jump-brings-all-the-girls-to-the-yard
For example waifu series Nisekoi have the least girls fans.
meruru

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:46 am Reply with quote
Super_M wrote:

There's a street known as "Otome Road" in Ikebukuro.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otome_Road

https://en.japantravel.com/tokyo/going-to-comiket/5956
Comiket has a day dedicated for women as well as a day dedicated for men.

The majority of doujinshi creators are women.

If men are the majority, I doubt it's that that big of one.

As for the survey, that's an extremely biased sample set, I imagine. However, you can see the difference between now and Japan of ~20 years ago. Akihabara has transformed into "Anime Las Vegas," with anime stuff EVERYWHERE.
Animorphimagi

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 3:09 am Reply with quote
Well considering an Otaku is just someone who is some degree of "obsessed" with their hobby, I bet most men in the US would also be Otaku when it comes to sports.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Super_M wrote:
Anime about idols so far as I know are unpopular at west. Western audience prefer typical battle shounen from WSJ than next part of Idolm@ster.
There are Hollywood celebrities and music goups so we already have something similar to the idol industry in the western world. On the other hand there isn't really anything similar to shounen anime such as Demon Slayer. With the exception of adult comedy shows the animation industry in the western world is very divided and is either kids shows that can be watched by anyone or a tiny number of adult shows with drugs, gore, nudity, and swearing.

killjoy_the wrote:
ANN Reader's Poll: Over 80% of High School Americans Identify as an 'Otaku'
Rakutan is an ebay type website that was originally known for beauty and fashion products.
yurigasaki

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Super_M wrote:
Anime about idols so far as I know are unpopular at west. Western audience prefer typical battle shounen from WSJ than next part of Idolm@ster.

Sorry, you were saying...?
Super_M

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:06 am Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
On the other hand there isn't really anything similar to shounen anime such as Demon Slayer. .

Not animation but equivalent battle shounen anime at west are for example Marvel or Star Wars movies.

yurigasaki wrote:

Sorry, you were saying...?

Love Live is probably the most popular idol anime at west and battle shonen as AoT, MHA, OPM are way more popular at west.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
There are Hollywood celebrities and music goups so we already have something similar to the idol industry in the western world

Sure... If by "similar" you mean "almost nothing like". Otherwise, not so much.
Cabron

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Watch Otaku no Video if you want to know what an otaku is.

It was never about just anime/manga, not sure how it lost its meaning when it came over to the West.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2