• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
MangaGamer: Valve Rejected The Expression Amrilato Game's Steam Release

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
A lot of you are ignoring the huge amount of VNs and games w/ sexual content that are already on Steam.

I thought those games (If My Heart Had Wings & NekoPara i.e.) had the sex scenes removed or were the "PG" versions (may have censorship to some degree). I could be wrong as I did not buy them from Steam.

I'm a bit surprised since there are non-VN type games on Steam which contain sexual content that may rival visual novels. I guess it's the "minor" aspect that caused Valve to reject visual novels. But, if in regards to sexual content, I find it dumb considering one game on Steam writes in its mature content description:

Quote:
A female cyborg performs fellatio on a bald man who wears panties on his head

Oh, the laughs I get from reading this every time. Laughing
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Sure, there's those games, but again, I see anime-style games with "Sexual Content" and "Nudity" in their tags show up on the "new and popular" list on Steam constantly; some are VNs, some aren't, many are very explicitly and openly sexual. There is a very large quantity of these games. Most of them are not "famous" VNs like those, they're mostly forgettable games.
IanC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Banning a yuri title with no sexual scenes (unless you count a bath scene which have been in a million other games by now, like the Atelier series) during pride month just comes off as really dumb and insensitive.

GOG are fine with it, even tweeted about it a few times. It would probably get a T rating from the ESRB...
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:02 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
invalidname wrote:
Have heard rumblings from VN friends that Valve has effectively imposed a de facto ban against the entire visual novel format. The Kickstarter-funded Muv-Luv photonflowers went out as a beta in March and should be ready for sale to the general public, but still hasn’t been released; one source tells me it’s because Valve won’t approve it.

A de facto ban isn't the case, as several vns have been added to Steam in June.

That said, Valve is not very consistent with sexual content, and does seem to have double standards. Big name AAA games can get away with basically anything, but an indie game will get banned for mild stuff sometimes seemingly at random, and visual novels in particular do seem vulnerable to that. So I wouldn't be surprised if Muvluv in is in fact being held up by Valve. Because again, Valve is inconsistent and seemingly random at times.

Regarding the VN talked about in this article, I've seen some screenshots on Twitter. Apparently it has no sex scenes, but it does have at least one bath scene with convenient steam censoring. This is (most likely) what got it in trouble with Valve.

It's no worse than a lot of anime hot springs/bath scenes involving highschoolers (in fact, far more mild than many) though, and I'd bet there are plenty of other games on Steam already with much more extreme content. But with Valve you can't really predict what will happen.

It's also frustrating to me that so many of the seemingly arbitrarily decisions Valve makes just happens to restrict visual novels with LGBT content. That might also be playing a role, as LGBT people are often inherently scene as sexual just by existing, so anything involving us might get an extra layer of scrutiny.

This is similar to when they broadcast various anime on American TV. However, Toonami and Adult Swim anime have gotten more lax on the editing.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:51 am Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
Sure, there's those games, but again, I see anime-style games with "Sexual Content" and "Nudity" in their tags show up on the "new and popular" list on Steam constantly; some are VNs, some aren't, many are very explicitly and openly sexual. There is a very large quantity of these games. Most of them are not "famous" VNs like those, they're mostly forgettable games.

Yep. Just searching new releases now for "visual novel" reveals plenty of visual novels released or scheduled for release in June with the sexual content and nudity tags, including some with titles like "Commander Babes" and "Hot and Steamy Knights." Now I haven't played any of these, but looking at the page for Commander Babes (currently available) the dev note includes: "There are scenes in the game that include: nudity, sexual jokes/innuendo, and graphic descriptions of sexual activities."

Of course, Commander Babes also includes this note: "** PLEASE NOTE **
All characters described and visually represented in this game are over 18 years of age, and no actual, nor identifiable minor was used in the production of this game." Some of the screenshots sure LOOK like they're set in a high school, but the description in the English localization mentions a dean, so I guess it's just a conveniently high school looking college. Fancy that.

And I suspect if you look closer at Steam, you'll see a LOT of games like this, with conveniently young looking college students. And that doesn't even count all the English language original content there.

But the thing is, Valve isn't actually interested in being fair, or doing a good job. They've made it very clear through all their various Steam mishaps (which involve a lot more than just adult content). And I think MangaGamer is kind of caught in a bad spot. They're too big for their titles to just slip easily under the radar, but not big enough for Valve to just sign off on their content regardless.
IanC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Valve finally noticed the backlash and allowed it. It's also out on discord too. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2