• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Knights of the Zodiac: Saint Seiya CG Anime's Trailer Previews Theme Song's English Cover

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:30 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Seiya on a skateboard and Saints vs. random military presence aside, this doesn't seem too far off as an adaption (if you ignore the Shun gender flip).

I guess they're eschewing the adoption angle with Kido in lieu of him just roping in a bunch of kids to defend Athena as Saints.

NOOOO! I didn't even NOTICE THAT. My interest is gone, especially since searching as to why his gender was flipped was basically given the reason of "I wanted more females, and not all male Saints,"

Also seems kind of sketchy that you picked Shun specifically, who was probably seen as more effeminate then the others.

Like as a female I'm always for more female rep but I'm highly against the ideal of adding females for the sake of adding females, and to push an agenda. You aren't being the savior to women kind by doing so.

So ya this is going to be a hard-pass now.
Nyren

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:35 pm Reply with quote
AntiKuro wrote:
MFrontier wrote:
Seiya on a skateboard and Saints vs. random military presence aside, this doesn't seem too far off as an adaption (if you ignore the Shun gender flip).

I guess they're eschewing the adoption angle with Kido in lieu of him just roping in a bunch of kids to defend Athena as Saints.

NOOOO! I didn't even NOTICE THAT. My interest is gone, especially since searching as to why his gender was flipped was basically given the reason of "I wanted more females, and not all male Saints,"

Also seems kind of sketchy that you picked Shun specifically, who was probably seen as more effeminate then the others.

Like as a female I'm always for more female rep but I'm highly against the ideal of adding females for the sake of adding females, and to push an agenda. You aren't being the savior to women kind by doing so.

So ya this is going to be a hard-pass now.
They did it for precisely that reason. Shun was the most effeminate and therefore the transition from male to female character was simpler, less of a glaring change. Except it ended up being the opposite, it was extremely glaring, partly because Shun being an effeminate male is technically progressive so there was no reason to change it.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I like the animation.

Seiya's latin voice it's still hilariously bad.
Amibite

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
They did it for precisely that reason. Shun was the most effeminate and therefore the transition from male to female character was simpler, less of a glaring change. Except it ended up being the opposite, it was extremely glaring, partly because Shun being an effeminate male is technically progressive so there was no reason to change it.

Anime is full of effeminate men. There's nothing really progressive about it at all it's just the trends and aesthetic of the medium. Hyoga was also effeminate and he still is in the trailers we've seen so far.

But if FemShun is still feminine I'd be impressed. Feminine women have become something of a rarity these days in American media with everyone trying to out-strong female each other.
Nyren

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Amibite wrote:
Nyren wrote:

Anime is full of effeminate men. There's nothing really progressive about it at all it's just the trends and aesthetic of the medium. Hyoga was also effeminate and he still is in the trailers we've seen so far.

But if FemShun is still feminine I'd be impressed. Feminine women have become something of a rarity these days in American media with everyone trying to out-strong female each other.
It's more progressive to western audiences. You have to remember that this is a Netflix series first and foremost and therefore it's aimed more towards western audiences than Japanese audiences, and obviously they're hoping to get more than existing anime and Saint Seiya fans to watch the show.
Mewzard

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:13 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:

Well, it was only really adoption in the anime, as in the manga... spoiler[The "100 orphans" he sent to become Saints, 90 of whom probably died...were Kido's own children. The reason why Ikki went nuts and wanted to murder them all, even his precious brother Shun was learning that the one he hated most was their father, and that he died before Ikki could purge his hate violently, so he'd wipe the bloodline from the face of the Earth.]

That's also definitely not happening from what we see.

That said, I did recognize some direct stuff from the manga/anime in the Phoenix Ikki fight, so it's still adapting some of the source material, just making some changes, as many adaptations do (especially ones made much later, like the new Dororo vs the old Dororo).

As for Shun, I don't mind the change in the least. There were all of three female Saints, and one the plot literally forgot existed. This isn't 80s Jump anymore, we can have badass fighting women in the main group now (hoping that includes Athena down the line, the original story kept her out of the action too often).

*ND spoilers*

spoiler[Honestly, now that the Bronzes are on god tier, I expect once Seiya is restored and they have to fight Olympus because of their almost destroying Spacetime, Athena will finally be able to go all out, since she won't render the Bronzes completely useless, lol.]
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Mewzard wrote:
MFrontier wrote:

Well, it was only really adoption in the anime, as in the manga... spoiler[The "100 orphans" he sent to become Saints, 90 of whom probably died...were Kido's own children. The reason why Ikki went nuts and wanted to murder them all, even his precious brother Shun was learning that the one he hated most was their father, and that he died before Ikki could purge his hate violently, so he'd wipe the bloodline from the face of the Earth.]

That's also definitely not happening from what we see.

That said, I did recognize some direct stuff from the manga/anime in the Phoenix Ikki fight, so it's still adapting some of the source material, just making some changes, as many adaptations do (especially ones made much later, like the new Dororo vs the old Dororo).

As for Shun, I don't mind the change in the least. There were all of three female Saints, and one the plot literally forgot existed. This isn't 80s Jump anymore, we can have badass fighting women in the main group now (hoping that includes Athena down the line, the original story kept her out of the action too often).

*ND spoilers*

spoiler[Honestly, now that the Bronzes are on god tier, I expect once Seiya is restored and they have to fight Olympus because of their almost destroying Spacetime, Athena will finally be able to go all out, since she won't render the Bronzes completely useless, lol.]

Mind you my Saint Seiya is a little sketchy, but if Shun going to be a female then shouldn't she be wearing a mask over her face?
Mewzard

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:34 pm Reply with quote
AntiKuro wrote:
Mind you my Saint Seiya is a little sketchy, but if Shun going to be a female then shouldn't she be wearing a mask over her face?

Is that honestly one of the aspects we want to keep? The Lost Canvas, Saintia Shou and Omega got passed that one in their own ways.

spoiler[IIRC, Saintia Shou's thing was Saintias being different than Saints, and Omega's had Yuna toss that dated rule in the trash after struggling with it, and Yuzuhira in The Lost Canvas never seemed to care for that rule at all.]

Honestly, I doubt Kuru would have even made it a plot point in the modern era. Eagle Marin's mask serves the most purpose at any given point to make it a mystery who she really is.

spoiler[Keeping Seiya wondering if she was his sister in the original series, and keeping both her and her brother Touma, now a fallen Angel, from realizing each others' identities as they're both masked.]

So yeah, if Marin still rocks the mask for plot reasons, I won't be surprised, and maybe Ophiuchus Shaina for tradition's sake, but that's about all I expect (as I doubt anyone but me remembers Chameleon June).
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:22 am Reply with quote
Seiya riding a skateboard? We all know the only totally radical dude should be Hyoga. Rolling Eyes
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:

What I'm wary about is the writing. Stuff like Seiya riding a skateboard and fighting street thugs, or the Bronze Saints fighting armed soldiers in a desert, makes me feel like I'm watching an American cartoon co-opting Saint Seiya's imagery. They're clearly trying to win over new American fans even if that means pissing off fans of the manga or the original anime.

I think that was clear the moment they had American writers adapting it.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:27 pm Reply with quote
At least the opening isn’t “I ran.”

I am very skeptical about this given what happened the last time someone tried to bring Saint Seiya over (honestly it would have worked about 100 times better if Cartoon Network just showed the ADV Saint Seiya dub instead of one of the last vestiges of Bowdlerization) but I recognize...60% of the stuff from the manga. So...very, very cautious about it but not full of hatred.
Black Turtle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:57 pm Reply with quote
geepee wrote:
expect Twitter to be flooded with Portuguese and Spanish profanities against Netflix when this comes out...
You already missed the party. When they released the first trailer a few month ago, Twitter went nuts. The creator of that remake (Eugene Son) had to delete his twitter because of the amount of hate and backlash he recieved.
To this day, I still wonder who is this for. Not fans, obviously, Neither for the cartoon Shonen Jump Weekly that are pissed they changed the only male that wasn't a male warrior stereotype into a girl. Not sure it's for a new public either. I mean, who still has interest in Saint Seiya except for people in their late 20's/early 30's.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
This looks wonderful - and I love the character designs. Can't wait.

Same here can't wait to see it I think it looks good.
I like the director for Tweeny Witches and the two artists listed for the staff so hopefully they deliver and this ends up good.

Mewzard wrote:

Same here.

Admittedly I only ever saw the limited amount that made it to Cartoon Network back in the day, so I guess I'm especially open to the change, but even back then I always felt it was lame the lack of main female fighters in the show let alone any that actually got any screentime. So I'm glad for the change.
Sergorn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:44 am Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
The CG looks fine to me because it's got a decent, consistent frame rate and it's not cel-shaded. Ultraman, for instance, looked great to me during the fight scenes, but once the action ceased and the characters started to stand around and talk, the frame rate dropped and the show started to look as bad as most cel-shaded CG anime.

THIS. Most CG animes are cell shading of various visual quality, but which pretty much all have low framerate animation that they pass as an "artistic decision" while really, it's all about cutting cost on render time. KotZ doesn't have "cartoony" animation as someone said above, it just has NORMAL animation. Have people forgotten how this looks like ?

I much prefer that they went with a properly animated traditionnel CG look than with Cell Shading personally.

Quote:

They're clearly trying to win over new American fans even if that means pissing off fans of the manga or the original anime.[
[...]
To this day, I still wonder who is this for.

It's quite simple really : it's not made for fans of the original at all, and not for animefans really either for that matter or else they'd have made it cell shaded.

It's first and foremost made for american (and wester countries) kids, who have very much used to this sort of CG animated series. And before someone says anything : StS was always aimed at kids in spite of is graphic violence, it's just than Japan 30 years ago had a very different mindset to violence and kids that we do in the west.

Thing is, USA is the ONE major market Saint Seiya never managed to have any success, whether it's the original series/manga, or the different spin off animes, which usually came to crunchyroll but just went unnoticed. And TOEI very much want a share of that pie - StS is generally their 3rd foreign revenue stream (behind, and I mean WAY behing One Piece and Dragon Ball) and having it work in the US would increase it a lot.

That's also it : people need to stop thinking of KotZ as a "Netflix series" - it's first and foremost a TOEI Production, which is in line with what they have been doing CG-wise for the last decade. They began with high budgeted CG Film (Captain Harlock), then went to a low budgeted CG Film (Legends of Sanctuary - I know some sites have that ridiculous 1 billions yen budget, it's fake - the produced of the film said himself it wsa a low budget film), and now they're going for a CG TV series with KotZ. As a matter of fact while promoting Legend of Sanctuary at the Cannes Mipcom in 2013, Kozo Morishita (the original director of Saint Seiya and current COO of TOEI Animation) was already outlined that the plan was for Legend of Sanctuary to lead to a new Saint Seiya CG TV series, so KotZ is very much this and actually build upon a lot of the tech they developped for the film.

So Netflix came in to fund and air the series sure, but in all likelyhood this series would still have existed without Netflix.

In any case KotZ's success will be decided on whether or not it succeeds to bring a new audience to the Saint Seiya IP, and not because of the niche that is Saint Seiya fans (that is for whom Saintia Shô was made, even at the cost of betraying its original manga)

Quote:
if Shun going to be a female then shouldn't she be wearing a mask over her face?

The series will explain why Shaun isn't wearing a mask, don't worry. We actually see Shaina and Marin with Masks in the first trailer. In all likelyhood she won't wear one because she's a rebel siding with Saori/Sienna rather than following the Sanctuary and its rules.

-Sergorn
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:32 am Reply with quote
Its still badly amusing to me that the Saint they chose to gender-bent is the most obvious & lazy choice they went with. Of course they wound up bending the one Saint well known for showing the most feminine qualities. Let’s not kid around here, this franchise has such an androgynous art-style that you can prolly turn half the cast including the Gold Saints into women & nothing would change about them. So the idea of bending them to bring in more female characters is not an inherently bad idea.

It’s just they could have just went with any other Saint, it would have been a better choice. They could have bent Shiryu the most self-sacrificing & hardest working Saint of all who gives everything for the cause or Ikki the elder sibling lone wolf badass who always saves his little bro. Those two would have been pretty cool to see as women but no they went with the most stereotypical choice.

There’s also the worry they may change Shawn’s personality to be more inline with the typical “action girl” type character meaning the end result might barely resemble Shun at all & wind up a near completely different character.

It’s darkly funny. A waste of good potential really. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3