• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Artist Rokudenashiko's Obscenity Charge Appeal Rejected

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Changeman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:55 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Are they also gonna throw fines at men for drawing penises in public restrooms? I dunno how common it is over there, but you could fund the entire US government just from that.

Or they could, maybe, not criminalize imagery of human body parts. At least 50% of the population has seen the real-life version. Not clear who they're trying to protect. The male children?

Changeman wrote:
But I honestly find it so hyprocratic that so many Westerners criticizing Japan about it while the Amazon begins this policy of banning works that "do not fit global standards".

I mean... if you've seen the length of that thread, you can probably tell we're not happy about that, either. Our government, and corporations apparently, mainly listens to conservative rich people, and ignores everyone else. It wouldn't be hypocritical for Japanese people to complain about their own country's rules--that's exactly what this woman is doing--so, we can do that, too.

Sorry, I should have specified better that there are several people on different sites, such as japantoday or on twitter who are complaining about the Japanese attitude on this issue, but don't bother with amazon banning several books.
Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:23 pm Reply with quote
This is such BS. Rokudenashiko is an artist trying to destigmatize vaginas. Her intent wasn’t to arouse (Not that there would be something wrong if it were), it was to present a human organ artistically and make a point about some people’s irrational taboo about it. Sadly, she still has a long way to go to accomplish that goal.
Hey, judges: most of you were born from a vagina! Learn some biology and stop seeing vaginas as inherently arousing!
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:53 am Reply with quote
Changeman wrote:
Sorry, I should have specified better that there are several people on different sites, such as japantoday or on twitter who are complaining about the Japanese attitude on this issue, but don't bother with amazon banning several books.
Sorry for the misunderstanding.

So? What in purgatory's name has that to do with this article about Rokudenashiko's appeal? People don't need to be for everything at once, no-one has time for that. And these two are completely different issues...

As for my stance, I think the Supreme Court decision was wrong, morally if not legally, and I wish all the best for Rokudenashiko in her future art campaigns over this issue.

Changeman wrote:
And nobody will comment on Kanamara Matsuri? About how it is allowed to wear T-shirts and suck lollipops in the form of sexual organs in the middle of the street during the day, but is it forbidden to watch an adult video with that uncensored sexual organs locked in the room?

And why the whack whack in her holy quack's name should there be any complaints about Kanamara Matsuri? THAT is how any festivals, art exhibitions, and other venues of free speech should be treated, and hopefully will some day if Japan ever makes a sensible legal reform in this area. NOT the other way around...
John Thacker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:10 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Our government, and corporations apparently, mainly listens to conservative rich people, and ignores everyone else.

That is an amazingly ignorant view at variance with the facts. If rich people's views alone ruled government, then none of the absolutely ridiculous immigration and trade restrictions of Donal Trump would have happened, because rich people and corporations are more pro immigration and pro trade than the poor. Trump would not have been nominated by the Republicans (as rich donors easily preferred Jeb or Rubio), and rich people easily gave more money to Hillary than Trump. Trump is awful, but many of his awful ways are a result of his government listening *less* to rich people than most governments. The US would be in the TPP if rich people had their way. On average, rich people are more socially liberal (and more economically libertarian) than others of a similar age, and Trump is not.

On the specific case, it's not certainly not rich people or corporations who favor obscenity laws. To the contrary, you can more easily argue that the US's relative lack of obscenity laws compared to the vast majority of countries is because the government listens to rich people more than it does poorer people.
horseradish
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Good for her that she's taking the ruling in stride and will continue her activities. It's an absurd double standard that giant phalluses are paraded around at certain festivals and even deified to celebrate male fertility, yet a woman making some 3D art of her own vagina and helping other women make their own in a more private setting is obscene somehow. Wonder how making a female fertility equivalent would turn out. Rolling Eyes
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Hakase wrote:

Tell that to western companies and western gaming industry
[url]

And to the Japanese publishers that have been making edited versions of their Eroge games or signing off on anime or manga adaptations which feature no sex of those same games for decades?
marshmallowpie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:07 am Reply with quote
It's so hard to believe that a bright yellow kayak could potentially arouse anyone...

Blanchimont wrote:

And why the whack whack in her holy quack's name should there be any complaints about Kanamara Matsuri? THAT is how any festivals, art exhibitions, and other venues of free speech should be treated, and hopefully will some day if Japan ever makes a sensible legal reform in this area. NOT the other way around...

Because it's a double standard. One is celebrated, yet the other is illegal. And as usual, it's a double standard that sees "small-gametes and their havers" (to use the "polite"/"inclusive" language) as superior/more acceptable.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
And to the Japanese publishers that have been making edited versions of their Eroge games or signing off on anime or manga adaptations which feature no sex of those same games for decades?

What's wrong with that? The original 18+ game still exists, the all ages version is never meant to be a replacement, only a way to get their games onto consoles or Steam, to raise visibility.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2