• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Australia Bans Import, Sales of 3 'No Game, No Life' Novels

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:36 am Reply with quote
nargun wrote:

Anyone can apply, from memory. It's years since I worked with this stuff, though, and my focus was elsewhere.

There was a film where there were reports that what was presented as simulated sexual assault of a minor actually involved an on-camera sexual assault of a minor. Can't remember which one. Anyway, I wrote in and suggested, "hey, if these reports are true then it's actual sexual violence on film and needs to be RC; do you think you might want to, you know, look at it?" But they blew me off, of course. Not being a senator does that to you.

I see! I wasn’t aware of that.
I get that feeling that in this situation, along with it being Senators initiating the classification, it may also be that the publisher does not care to get involved (they publish so many series after all, and getting one classified could mean they have to get every single book classified and who has time for that?), so in this case someone else was allowed to handle process.

EnigmaticSky wrote:
That being said, the way Shiro was sexualized in the anime was really uncomfortable for me. I think the anime is great, but it's so [expletive] creepy seeing a panty shot of the dude's little sister.

Keep in mind this is the books being banned, not the anime. I believe the anime lessened the amount of fan service.
I don’t know if the English version was censored but in volume one of the novels, there’s a double page coloured spread (that would’ve been at the start of the book) where you can see Shiro’s vagina. There’s another coloured image in volume two where you can see her bare bottom and what looks to be the folds of her vagina between her legs.
Considering the character is 11, I’m not really surprised the board was concerned. I don’t know what the text content within the banned books are like, though I did read a summary of volume 9 and it involved young looking female robots trying to seduce Sora by copying poses from his hentai, so again, not surprised.
I’m not big on censorship, but I also can’t argue with the fact ngnl has a lot of skeevy art in it, without even going into the context behind said art.
peno

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:58 am Reply with quote
Errinundra wrote:
censorship being more restrictive (though it is much laxer than ANN readers are inclined to believe).

Laxer? I don't think so. Mind you, I am not Australian, but from what I've heard, it doesn't depict ACB in very good light. A few years ago, they banned Swedish movie from 1980 which, back then, got a lot of praise and even awards. And no one even had intention to distribute the movie in Australia, mind you, they only banned it because the federal police gave them DVD of the movie they confiscated. And then, there's the issue from 1995, where Tasmanian LGBT film festival had 12 movies banned by ACB only because ACB complied with very stupid and outdated law banning homosexuality in Tasmania, that was already being fought against in courts and even by federal government (though not very enthusiastically, but that's beyond the point here). ACB as a federal body could take a stance here and say they will not comply with this stupid law, but instead, they greenlit Tasmania's censorship and, in a process, slowed down legalisation of homosexuality in Tasmania, because the government could point to this case and say that even federal organisation agreed with that law. Of course there were many other issues in Australian history, but I don't want to turn this into a very long, and be honest, quite pointless list of ACB's stupidity.
Maybe I see this issue harshly, because I am from country that for a long time was subject of strict censorship at first by Nazi occupants and then by Communist government, so I saw what such stupid and pointless censorship can do to a whole nation. Australia lacks this kind of experience and maybe that's why some Australians are so keen to defend this kind of censorship.

TheMorry wrote:
Lol so stupid. What do they think they will achieve with this? If they dont want taxes on selling this products it's their loss. As a Dutch person who is immgrating to Australia in the near future: ill buy anything i want legally or illegally. Import is your best friend.

I don't think so. As shown in the above case of the Swedish movie, Australian authorities wouldn't hesitate to check shipments from abroad for any books, movies, videogames etc. that are banned (or simply not yet classified) in Australia and confiscate it. That's the worst part of ACB censorships overreach, that you can't even import the banned content from areas where it's not banned.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:05 am Reply with quote
Fascinating is the Australian authorities' endeavor to protect its people from suggestion of child exploitation, considering how many child immigrants they have imprisoned in offshore concentration camps away from family, medical care, schooling, and any sort of constitutional rights. Highly reminiscent of their treatment of aboriginal children in decades past.
Netero

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:10 am Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
I don’t know if the English version was censored but in volume one of the novels, there’s a double page coloured spread (that would’ve been at the start of the book) where you can see Shiro’s vagina. There’s another coloured image in volume two where you can see her bare bottom and what looks to be the folds of her vagina between her legs.

I had to go and check these out because I thought I must have missed something when I read it. Actually the picture you refer to in volume 1 shows Shiro with her crotch obscured by water dripping from her foot. I guess you can imagine you can see her vulva if you want, but it's not there - if it had been, the book would have been banned in Japan, let alone Australia. The volume 2 picture shows Shiro's crotch "Barbie-doll" style because that's to underline the point that Sora removed all female genitalia in their shiritori game with Jibril in order to make their nudity "wholesome".
mrsatan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:18 am Reply with quote
Lemme guess, Nabokov's Lolita and Stephen King's It is 100% legal is Australia.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:30 am Reply with quote
Does anyone know if the primary objection to the novels comes from the artwork, or to the contents of the story? If its the artwork, could the novels be re-issued with different artwork?
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:42 am Reply with quote
DeTroyes wrote:
Does anyone know if the primary objection to the novels comes from the artwork, or to the contents of the story? If its the artwork, could the novels be re-issued with different artwork?

it's always more due to artwork because I seriously doubt these boards committees are reading these.

But yeah, it's not very concealed when you promote your book with a cover of a loli in lingerie
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:00 am Reply with quote
SunsetYesterday wrote:
Is there anything actually objectionable in the novels that could be the reason for this decision or is it just moral panic about lolicon? I don't remember anything that could be considered "high impact/morally objectionable" in the anime besides the usual fanservice you can find in almost every light novel adaptation.

The illustrations include full frontal nudity of pubescent girls. Nothing is drawn in great detail -- I don't think the nipples are even drawn on -- but it's sexually suggestive in a way other light novels avoid.
WingKing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:12 am Reply with quote
SunsetYesterday wrote:
Is there anything actually objectionable in the novels that could be the reason for this decision or is it just moral panic about lolicon? I don't remember anything that could be considered "high impact/morally objectionable" in the anime besides the usual fanservice you can find in almost every light novel adaptation.

I’m sure it’s just the illustrations. I flipped through NGNL v1 when our (American) library bought it for our collection. While I’m pretty much whatever’s the opposite of a lolicon I’m also unfortunately used to the kind of loli-ecchi stuff Japan routinely gets away with, but even I still remember being shocked and a little uncomfortable with one or two of the illustrations, that they pushed it that far. So it’s not hard for me to imagine how someone who isn’t an anime fan and is seeing them out of context would take it. I also noticed those books got moved from the teen collection to the adult collection not long after we bought them, but we still have them as far as I know.
Villain-chan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:
in a way that is likely to cause offense to a reasonable adult,

Well, as a reasonable adult, I can say, this is bull lol Who was it that decided in the first place what is and isn't ok to see? And I mean the very 1st instance of censorship, becus, imo, ALL censorship is pointless, unless its done for comedy like in that 1 Neptunia episode
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:50 pm Reply with quote
peno wrote:
Errinundra wrote:
censorship being more restrictive (though it is much laxer than ANN readers are inclined to believe).

Laxer? I don't think so. Mind you, I am not Australian....

Then you might want to check his location right below his avatar photo.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Errinundra wrote:
The Economist Intelligent Unit's Democracy Index scores Australia at 9.09/10 (full democracy) while the US scores 7.96 (flawed democracy), even though Australia has much tougher libel and defamation laws, courts have more power to make orders suppressing information (think George Pell's court cases) and censorship being more restrictive (though it is much laxer than ANN readers are inclined to believe).
I find it weird too, especially considering several years back the Australian government was mad that their 'secret' blacklist of websites was made public by hackers.
Most of my information about Australia comes from ANN articles, so kinda curious about your laxer comment, since reading ANN over the years makes it sound like the Puritans actually landed in Australia.
TheMorry wrote:
Lol so stupid. What do they think they will achieve with this? If they dont want taxes on selling this products it's their loss. As a Dutch person who is immgrating to Australia in the near future: ill buy anything i want legally or illegally. Import is your best friend.
Australia should rather focus on important matters: their underwhelming economic position.

The Australian government could care less about anime. I don't think it is of significant economic interest. The Australian government could embargo all anime and related products, and only their anime fans would complain.
Of all the western countries, Australia would be the one to watch out what you are importing, followed probably by Canada (hard to tell between Canada and the UK).
As to the last, this is just politics, same as in any country.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Does this only affect physical books and not ebooks? As far as I can tell, Bookwalker and Kobo are still selling the ebooks worldwide except in a few countries it seems for rights reasons.
Leviathonlx

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:21 pm Reply with quote
I dislike the idea of censorship but on the other hand I can fully see why someone not into anime/LN/manga would be offput by illustrations showing a 11 year old girl spreading her legs in a shower. I won't link to it but just go look up volume one in the No Game/No Life wiki and scroll down to the illustrations.
Kisuke525

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Leviathonlx wrote:
I dislike the idea of censorship but on the other hand I can fully see why someone not into anime/LN/manga would be offput by illustrations showing a 11 year old girl spreading her legs in a shower. I won't link to it but just go look up volume one in the No Game/No Life wiki and scroll down to the illustrations.

If people are offput by it shouldn't they just avoid reading/watching stuff like that then? Personally I think they should just put a warning label on stuff like this so that the people that it bothers can just avoid it and the people who don't care can still read/watch whatever has the "offensive" content.

I personally believe that as long as something is fictional it should be allowed. Nobody is going to be harmed by something that isn't real.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4