• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Spriggan Netflix Anime Reveals Visual, Staff, 2021 Premiere

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LightningCount

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:06 pm Reply with quote
As I recall, the manga has a bit more of the contrast of the main character's school life, too. I remember one volume where he gets back from a mission and has to participate in a footrace at school, and there's a girl there he has charming interactions with.

Missions like The Forest of No Return would make for so many great visuals, and the kind of frenetic action seen in Fire Force is cut from the same cloth as Spriggan.
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Now this is a blast from the past! The movie is fun. So-so story, but an animated action spectacle! Traditional animation by David pro? I'm in!
Yu Ominae

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Looks like they updated Ominae’s SIG from a P226 to a P226R based on the Netflix poster.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:53 am Reply with quote
Spriggan along with Memories was peak Studio 4°C, even if the story was stupid. So without the great actions scenes, what will David Production have to offer.
LightningCount

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:40 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Spriggan along with Memories was peak Studio 4°C, even if the story was stupid. So without the great actions scenes, what will David Production have to offer.

You are correct about Studio 4°C, but David Production has been stellar in recent years. JoJo's is very solid, and Fire Force is amazing in terms of its action sequences. I think they'll be able to pull it off.

As for the story...well, Spriggan is pulpy action-adventure at its best. Think a military-archeology-themed Outlaw Star and you get the vibes. Studio 4°C remixed a couple of manga plots/characters and tried to elevate the material, but it came off a bit awkward/forced. Spriggan isn't supposed to be Shakespeare, it's just supposed to be fun. It has just enough smarts and heart and personality to keep it from being just any old thing, but it lives on its style and action and scenarios that put twists on history and archeology. It's been in my top tier for manga series that I've felt deserved a proper TV adaptation for many years now.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:41 pm Reply with quote
I can be forgiven for not being as excited as others are about Netflix doing a "Spriggan" anime. Both the manga and anime versions are notorious for their anti-Americanism. Not only that,but they tried to make Adolf Hitler a good guy! Why? Imagine if you're Jewish and you're reading something like this? You'd rightfully be ticked off and I wouldn't blame you for feeling that way.
Rebecca Silverman herself quite movingly talked here once about what happened to her family during World War II. I recommend you read that. Can you imagine how she'd feel or anyone else who's Jewish-American and reading something like this? They'd be justifiably angry and I wouldn't blame them for feeling that way. They may have had family members or friends who lived through those times and I can't imagine them being happy about something like this.

There are those who want to see this sort of thing. That's their right and I'm not going to stop them. Just consider what you'd be seeing if you decide to do it. As for me,I'm going to put "Spriggan" on my must-miss list. If it's going to be different from it's previous incarnations,I'll consider it,but if they're going to do the same things as what they previously did,then count me out. I'd rather not waste my time in seeing something like this at all.

Last edited by Snomaster1 on Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
I remember the original Spriggan being kind of mediocre.

I liked it well enough though it felt like a pilot film for a series that never got greenlit, so in a sense it did "disappoint" me since I wanted to see more from the universe and characters.

Looking forward to doing just that in this expanded version.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2