• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Horimiya (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 6:16 am Reply with quote
This week's episode has the sport festival that the previous episode prepared for. It was a fun time with some solid events and jokes (especially at the cost of the president). We even had tiny bits of character progression here and there. Content wise none of the episodes so far feel like they are any less than the previous season.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:30 am Reply with quote
I probably like the beginning of this season a little better than the beginning of the first season. It took a while for me to adjust to this show's low key charm.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 5:15 am Reply with quote
Episode 4 was peak slice of life comf. A lot of jokes, fun conversation and being slaves to the almighty kotatsu. We saw a bit more of the Hori and Sengoku families and how things have not really changed all that much between the two.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how people are going to feel about episode 5. It is the first episode that focuses almost completely on one of the (thus far) neglected side characters. Iura has always been the (biggest) goofball in the series and he tries to be the cool brother at home (emphasis on tries). Anyway, a funny episode about a little sister losing her crush to her big brother and said brother reacting in panic (though it may just have been respecting him?). I especially liked the toast eating/running scene, it has been a while since I last saw one of those.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Another episode focused on a side character this week. Every episode has been great so far, but I have to admit that several episodes with very little of the main characters does make me want to see some more of them again.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Not much to note this week other then it being a fun episode with a focus on some neglected side characters, though the pervert teacher trope is something I could do without.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Ew, just like when the manga covered this bit I have some mixed feelings on episode 10. If anybody else is still watching this, does the relationship between Miyamura and Hori seem healthy in episode 10?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:27 am Reply with quote
It's never seemed all that healthy to me. It's one thing to have a D/s kink, and another to be that insanely jealous and violent all the time, which she tends to be. Actually, the lack of focus on them has been the saving grace of this offshoot for me, allowing me to enjoy the other characters and not have to deal with tolerating their dysfunctional relationship. Although her family's historic bullying of that one friend (whose name I can't recall) and his family wasn't much fun either.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:03 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I have very mixed feelings on the relationship as a whole. There are plenty of sweet moments, but then we have Hori wanting Miyamura to smack her or talk down to her. On the other hand she gets aggressive when jealous and can lash out physically pretty easily and frequent. I believe that hitting your partner, be it a man or woman is never allowed, no matter how sorry you are afterwards.

You mean the Sengoku family I assume, it is downplayed as ''friendly bullying'', but it just feels awkward.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:46 pm Reply with quote
No domestic violence or extreme jealousy this week, by contrast we had a very sweet episode about Valentine with lots of chocolate giving. The main couple going from being very unhealthy to very sweer with each other does result in a bit of whiplash though. Otherwise Honoka and her finding a place in school got most of the remaning spotlight.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 5:05 am Reply with quote
Well, we had some more domestic violence this week. There were some fun bits and the Hori home is a lively and amusing place to be....unless you get smacked. This week's episode showcased that Hori is in my opinion not someone you would want as a girlfriend. Sure, she can be charming, but she also gets angry with shouting on the drop of a hat and some slapping is also a common occurrence. I feel sorry for Miyamura who has to walk on eggshells quite often.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:03 am Reply with quote
I just saw the episode where Hori got angry because Miya didn't take the opportunity to get dark, and then Hori and Miya wound up in a stand-off where nobody wanted to apologize.

I found the episode annoying - maybe disturbing. I've always chalked up Hori's occasional fantasies about a darker Miya as cosplaying without the costume. A lot of people like to fantasize about stuff. I watch harem anime (kind of hard to be an isekai fan without it) but I'd never want a harem in real life. I can barely handle one relationship at a time. And Hori doesn't seem like the kind of person who'd enjoy being passive and suppressed in reality.

And the occasional smacks seemed like a cartoon letting itself be a cartoon. It's the medium where characters used to routinely throw dynamite and drop anvils on each other. But this is also one of the more realistic cartoons, and the episode I just saw was pretty ill conceived IMHO. It wasn't just an amusing flash of a moment, or Hori and Miya wouldn't have gotten in a fight that lasted for days. When Hori kicked Miya in the stomach, it felt like the show had crossed a line.

I checked this thread out to see how other people were regarding it, and it looks like it bothered some people even more than me. Right now I'm trying to shrug it off as the kind of occasional aberration that occurs in episodic series - especially the ones written by multiple writers though I don't think that's the case here. I'm hoping this tonal shift (it seemed that way to me anyhow) doesn't become the new norm. If it does, I'll cut bait and just pretend the second season never happened so I can continue rewatching the first (in my private world, I'm still waiting for Log Horizon to have a second season).
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:24 am Reply with quote
The issue is that Hori being an abusive partner is not a sudden thing. During the course of the manga it has shown many times how angry she can get over a small issue and how during several incidents she got violent. The reason that it feels new is due to how the chapters have been cut up. The first season has very few chapters of Hori being at her worst, while this second season has almost all of them. Combining the two seasons you get a complete picture of the relationship and while there are plenty of cute moments, there are also plenty of very unhealthy ones.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:42 am Reply with quote
I really feel like Miya needs to flee while he still can, if it's not already too late. This episode really highlighted how utterly dysfunctional that family is from top to bottom, and seeing him caught in the middle of it all makes me sad (also her little brother needs a foster family to take him in - maybe he can go live with Miya). Other than Hori's acceptance of his ink and piercings (which is likely only due to her hopes that it means he's a bad boy who will fantasy-abuse her), I can't think of one good quality she has that would make me want to be around her for more than five minutes, if I could last that long. The more screen time she gets, the more I dislike her. Had this been the first episode, I'd have dropped this season like a rock.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Yup, that sure was a series finale if there ever was one. Besides some jokes about hair and carrying boxes the episode was all about closure. As a whole the second season gives many of the side characters a lot more depth and adds a lot of fun moments that were skipped over. It sadly also has nearly all of the violence/arguments between the main couple and that has soured me a bit on the whole thing. It is a worthwhile watch though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2