• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Shaman King Anime's 2nd Video Reveals Opening Song, 2 Cast Members, April 1 Debut

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1dbad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:40 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
I at least hope they'll let NYAV Post handle dubbing so there's a possibility of bringing the original English dub cast back.

Tara Sands lives in LA now, so even an LA-only dub could bring her back as Anna. But expecting recasts for everyone else unless it's NYAV. (Honestly, even a NYAV dub would likely have a few recasts)
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Megumi Hayashibara really does not miss a beat after all these years.
1dbad wrote:
MFrontier wrote:
I at least hope they'll let NYAV Post handle dubbing so there's a possibility of bringing the original English dub cast back.

Tara Sands lives in LA now, so even an LA-only dub could bring her back as Anna. But expecting recasts for everyone else unless it's NYAV. (Honestly, even a NYAV dub would likely have a few recasts)

Granted, it's not something I expect Netflix to keep in mind as far as producing the dub.
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Guess all of us outside of Japan will have to wait until October at the earliest for the first batch of 12 episodes to drop then.

This news really pisses me off than I thought it might when I previously speculated this possibility. The anime I was looking forward to most this year, and it gets stuck on the one service with the worst release structure for a long runner.

Last edited by veemonjosh on Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Leviathonlx1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:05 pm Reply with quote
veemonjosh wrote:
Guess all of us outside of Japan will have to wait until October at the earliest for the first batch of 12 episodes to drop then.

This news really pisses me off than I thought it might when I previously speculated this possibility. The anime I was looking forward to most, and it gets stuck with the one service that is stuck on the service with the worst release structure for a long runner.

If it's popular enough it'll get fansubbed just like Beastars
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Really loving the fact that Funimation shills and fanboys got BTFO'd by Netflix.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Well, I know I won't be saying anything new by expressing some disappointment over Netflix licensing Shaman King. If they could restructure their release policy, I feel like that would go a long way with detractors and anime fans hesitant to subscribe.

As it stands, I see a plethora of fans turning to fansubs long before Netflix makes the series available legally which is a regrettable and utterly preventable outcome.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
Really loving the fact that Funimation shills and fanboys got BTFO'd by Netflix.

I'm not a diehard fan of FUNi myself anymore and haven't been in over a decade but they still release anime physically which doesn't always happen with shows exclusive to Netflix plus given what happened recently with stuff like B: The Beginning (streaming masters instead of home video), Violet Evergarden (ported Australian discs with TV broadcast masters, missing extended finale and bad subtitles) & Baki 2018 (a full redub from Sentai), there's a good chance that if the new Shaman King does get picked up in 4 or 5 years for video that it will be missing something important.
1dbad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:44 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Granted, it's not something I expect Netflix to keep in mind as far as producing the dub.

Neither am I. And sadly we're likely in for recasts either way, seeing as Sebastian Arcelus, the voice of protag Yoh Asakura, hasn't reprised former roles in recent New York projects. (like Duel Links)

Least we'll get an uncut dub this time around. And one where the canonically Chinese character isn't given a British accent, lol
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:07 am Reply with quote
Netflix jail strikes again. SAD.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:21 am Reply with quote
This all comes out of left field to me since Funimation had been bringing in more NY VAs in their simuldubs lately like bringing in Dan Green for the Akudama Drive simuldub and Sean Schemmel made some comments in a Twitch stream awhile back that he was cast in something so it seemed like everything was pointing towards Funimation getting Shaman King. And Funimation had previous experience with the series through releasing those old uncut DVD singles back in the day.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:24 am Reply with quote
Well, that's a bit disappointing for the fans, but patience is patience. And to be honest, I wouldn't mind a few recasts of some characters, you should know not every VA should be defined for one role they did in a show, others deserve the shot too.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:34 am Reply with quote
1dbad wrote:
MFrontier wrote:

Neither am I. And sadly we're likely in for recasts either way, seeing as Sebastian Arcelus, the voice of protag Yoh Asakura, hasn't reprised former roles in recent New York projects. (like Duel Links)

Least we'll get an uncut dub this time around. And one where the canonically Chinese character isn't given a British accent, lol

I feel like Arcelus expressed interest in reprising on twitter, if I recall correctly, maybe in response to a Tara Sands tweet? I could be forgetting.

(I wasn't sure if they could get Andrew Rannels back as Ren anyways).
1dbad

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:51 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
I feel like Arcelus expressed interest in reprising on twitter, if I recall correctly, maybe in response to a Tara Sands tweet? I could be forgetting.

(I wasn't sure if they could get Andrew Rannels back as Ren anyways).

That's promising at least. It would be cool to see edited dub VAs finally get a chance to redo their work in an uncut dub.

And yeah, Andrew will definitely be recast. Potential recasts are why I'm planning to just watch it subbed. (well that and I'm a Hayashibara fan <3)
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:13 am Reply with quote
Damn that sucks, I was looking forward to watching it weekly but I guess that's not happening unless it ends up getting fansubbed
Jay_Stone

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:19 am Reply with quote
If there will be an English dub, I really hope they will redo the opening, just like the old version
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4