• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyo Court: Posting Manga Dialogue Without Authorization Is Copyright Infringement

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Well, as Goku once said: "Hi, I'm Goku!"

-two seconds after making this post I was arrested for copyright infringement-
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:16 am Reply with quote
Vee-Tee wrote:
that sets a very worrying precedent...

Hoppy800 wrote:
That's overreach far beyond even strict companies like Disney impose. This ruling would be unconstitutional in any other court.

Wyvern wrote:

As noted above, this case is not about a line of dialogue, but almost the entire dialogue text from manga chapters. Posting almost the entire dialogue text from, hypothetically, the latest Disney+ series episode or Marvel comic book issue would similarly be considered copyright infringement in other countries.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:07 am Reply with quote
What about people who post like anime screencap or manga chapter reaction threads?
Ensaru64

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:51 am Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
Bowi_tcm wrote:
Imagine posting a similar irrelevant dialogue that is similar to random manga dialogue and get DMCA-ed by it.
Not funny.

In this particular case, the person allegedly posted almost the entire dialogue text from multiple chapters of a manga. That is very different from posting a line of dialogue that happens to be similar to a line of manga dialogue.

Even if that's the case, the precedent is vague enough that it can be applied to even minor quotes. The fact that this is copyright infringement at all is a bit ridiculous. The Japanese manga industry is reaching Music-industry levels of fervor with their recent actions.
bastek66

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Japanese copyright laws are getting stupider with each year
CR85747

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:38 am Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
Vee-Tee wrote:
that sets a very worrying precedent...

Hoppy800 wrote:
That's overreach far beyond even strict companies like Disney impose. This ruling would be unconstitutional in any other court.

Wyvern wrote:

As noted above, this case is not about a line of dialogue, but almost the entire dialogue text from manga chapters. Posting almost the entire dialogue text from, hypothetically, the latest Disney+ series episode or Marvel comic book issue would similarly be considered copyright infringement in other countries.

That being said, Western companies have treated this with a lighter touch. The old Simpsons Archive has a bunch of transcripts from the show's glory days, and Fox/Disney doesn't bother them. Novelizations of Daria episodes show up alongside fanfic at Outpost Daria without MTV coming down on them.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Ensaru64 wrote:
Quote:
In this particular case, the person allegedly posted almost the entire dialogue text from multiple chapters of a manga. That is very different from posting a line of dialogue that happens to be similar to a line of manga dialogue.

Even if that's the case, the precedent is vague enough that it can be applied to even minor quotes.

ROFL. "Even if that's the case"? How can anyone imply with a straight face that there's not considerable difference between a line and multiple chapters?

Either way, please, feel free to provide a citation supporting that ridiculous assertion that this case set's precedent that can be applied to "even minor quotes".

Ensaru64 wrote:
The fact that this is copyright infringement at all is a bit ridiculous. The Japanese manga industry is reaching Music-industry levels of fervor with their recent actions.

There's no country in the civilized world that I'm aware of where posting nearly the entire contents of a work wouldn't be considered copyright infringement. And that's... pretty much as it should be, because that's the whole point of copyright in the first place.

It's not "ridiculous" at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2