• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
To Your Eternity (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ACxS

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I've learned not to trust the OP based purely on face value. You tricked me, show.

Technically, Fushi can assume March's form; I just don't know in what context it's going to do that. But no, not as adult March. I have no evidence to think that Fushi can do something like that.

Also, in retrospect I find March's death to be more even poignant when Parona reunited with March's parents. Her mom and dad basically abandoned their daughter for death, only to find Parona sending them the message that March is "fine", only to learn that March really is dead. Let that sink in.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 5:32 am Reply with quote
I have to say that as sad as March's death was for me, it was beautifully handled. All the tears were earned, there was nothing maudlin or cheap about the execution (no pun intended). Not that that really soothes my broken heart, of course....
ACxS

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 12:06 am Reply with quote
6:

HEY, WE GET TO SEE MARCH AGAIN! (in a way)

I found it weird that Granny wanted to eat Fushi. Really, cannibalism? Too soon! I know you're starving Granny, but jeez. But I cracked up when I see Fushi throwing fruits at her (in March's form, no less). How the fortunes have turned, how adorably ironic.

But seriously, it's mind-boggling how fast Fushi is evolving. Learning to talk and write takes eons, by evolution standards. And by eons, I mean thousands of years, even millions. Fushi has actually learned to string words together, and understand rudimentary expressions to interact with human beings. This level of development in incomparable to say, teaching the same things to a baby. Pieron's intuitive (parental) teaching is classical Pavlovian conditioning, and her motive is understandable ("I teach you so you can take care of me"). But still, Fushi's rate of learning is phenomenal.

Second part of the episode is fascinating.

The aberration that attacked Fushi is apparently not created by God―I was also surprised that He appeared in human form―and it's here to thwart His grand plan. Shocking because 1) who or what would go against God's plan, and 2) God isn't exactly 'omnipotent' then.

I think the fight between the aberration (clearly the show's antagonist) and Fushi (protagonist) is more significant if taken metaphorically. The aberration is apparently parasitic, but more importantly, it's hyper-rational. In other words, it's driven purely by self-interest. Fushi, on the other hand, is gradually learning to be more altruistic (in the strictest sense, less rational). In other words, *more human.

Aberration is out to steal everything that made Fushi, and Fushi can't let that happen. But think about it: why is Fushi so vested to save the boy, wolf and bear? Aren't these just 'vessels' to Fushi? Because they're not just vessels, at least not anymore. They've become part of his identity (that's a big leap in its journey to become human). How ironic would it be that Fushi would completely lose all his humanity if it were to lose March, the only (human) vessel he had left.

(also, how ironic it was that Fushi won against a formidable aberration as March, the "weakest" form compared to an older boy, wolf or bear)

So what is God's grand plan? I imagine it's to restore humanity. What about the creator of the aberration? To destroy humanity? Clearly we don't know yet, but we've learned one important thing: this 'God' we've come to know isn't omnipotent. Not a God but a god instead, because another one exists.

This show is incredibly deep, if you haven't realized. And it hasn't failed to amaze me.

*a side thought: Fushi could have been just like the aberration. The only main difference? Fushi eventually interacted with humans. Had Fushi only interacted with say, parasites, our story would have been radically different. That's another level of "deep".
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 6:42 am Reply with quote
One of the ways this show reminds me of Made in Abyss (beyond the capacity to emotionally wreck me) is the uniqueness of its imagination. Many words could be used to describe both shows but the one that could never be used is: "derivative." Much love.
ACxS

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 7:13 am Reply with quote
Both MiA and this show have been excellent in world-building, since both take place in a fictional world. Writers have to put in a lot of effort to throw out conventional wisdom and assumptions from our own world, and rebuild it from scratch.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Ya know, I'm starting to think that To Your Eternity's mangaka, Yoshitoki Ōima, really doesn't like kids. She gives them the harshest fates. Geez. Lighten up, Yoshitoki! Anyway, another super engaging episode. I am interested - and dreading - to see where it's going.
ACxS

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 11:32 pm Reply with quote
7:

Ah yes, fate. This thing that humans believe in that makes us so... human. How apt.

If an alien comes to Earth and asks us what 'fate' means, how would we answer it? Now, imagine that that alien is Fushi. Humanity has believed in fate for the longest time, and it's only in (relative) recent times do we believe that perhaps our lives has no meaning (we call that nihilism!).

Was Gugu fated to be born poor? To have his brother leave him? To have a face smashed by a runaway log? If you ask a human being from centuries ago, the answer is probably yes. If you think it's pure bad luck, then it's because of more contemporary ideas. Humans have always believe that things happen because of some greater force is at hand that we cannot fathom, and only recent do we begin to think that maybe things just happen, and things just "meant" to happen because we like to believe so.

Fushi is on his way to learning humanity, where chapter one is the value of life, and now it's fate. And you know how fate applies in this arc? Not just Gugu's sucky life so far, but his meeting with Fushi. That's fate. Two "monsters" meeting up, where one doesn't even understand "monster" even means. But you know what? It's a relief that Gugu hasn't given up on life. He still has a crush on a girl, and he still thinks about getting gainz. In short, putting aside his face, he's an ordinary kid.

I swear, this show is going to kill me with adorableness. And pedicide. God, we already got rekt with March; do we need another one with Gugu?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 6:41 am Reply with quote
I'm afraid so. The track record of kids who come in contact with Fushi is not a very promising one. Not that Fushi is the cause of the bad outcomes but he seems to have a positive genius for finding the doomed. And in the harsh world of this story that doesn't seem very hard to do.
ACxS

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:27 am Reply with quote
8:

How is alcohol exactly made in the gut (and without the host from realizing it), is beyond me too.

Pain. YES! Not exactly unique to humans, but it's definitely something unique on its own. And now it makes sense: Fushi never knew what pain was until he was stabbed by the spear back in the dungeon. Through empathy (sense other's emotions), Fushi learned and internalized the concept of pain and its sensation back then.

Have you ever thought what the purpose of pain is? Evolutionary psychologists would have an idea, but to put it simple and within Fushi's context, pain is how Fushi makes sense of empathy. In other words, how would Fushi know how others feel if not for pain? Being mauled by a bear meant nothing to him, but after understanding pain, being stabbed by a spear and losing March takes on a whole new meaning. Nobody likes pain, and even Fushi agrees. That's why he didn't want to look for Gugu at first.

Gugu is also experiencing his own kind of pain: ostracization. Not physical pain per se, but a socioemotional one (and eventually it came become a form of physical pain). Not sure if it applies to other animals, but when humans come across something grotesque or unnatural, they feel disgusted (and disgust is one of the most instinctive emotions, if not the most). And what does disgust go perfectly well with? Fear. That's how the people feel toward Gugu; it's the only expectant human response.

Empathy is going to be the overarching theme of Fushi's road to becoming human. Pieron is now teaching Fushi to become one, in another aspect: to forgive and relent. And perhaps find solace in solidarity with someone similar to him.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:45 am Reply with quote
I lost a bit of sympathy for Gugu after his callous experimentation on Fushi. He seems to think that just because Fushi is immortal that he can't feel pain which is clearly not true. I was hoping that within the episode Gugu would have a realization that Booze Man's experimentation on him was analogous to his experimentation on Fushi. I don't think that happened but maybe next eppie. Although the preview narration indicated that some bad poop is coming down the pipe. Of course it is. It ain't called To Your Eternity for nothing since that's where all the kids are going.
ACxS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:36 pm Reply with quote
9:

Rean explains how miserable her life is, without having a clue what Gugu has been through. We may be thinking "man, how spoiled can she be" and we may be right. But that's not the point of the episode: the point is to show how much we don't know what kind of problems other people are going. Rean might think that she is the unluckiest kid in the world, when the one next to her is having it a lot worse. Isn't that why we are taught to be grateful for whatever we have right now, and not only lament about the things we don't have?

I didn't expect the enemy to return so soon. The Omnipotent (we really need a name for the Omnipotent being and the enemy) suggests that Fushi is at a disadvantage because 1) he didn't acquire anything new from their first battle, and 2) well, the enemy attacked first. Probably there's a third reason: 3) Fushi has to fight the enemy and protect Gugu and the maid.

Given what we've learned from their previous face-off, Fushi vs the enemy is going to be a recurring plot. I'm just not sure what exactly is the enemy's agenda, and more importantly, who created it. Apparently, there's another omnipotent being out there (which means the Omnipotent isn't omnipotent).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:20 pm Reply with quote
@ AC x S: How about Omni and the Enemy? Wink

So Gugu survives another episode. Given previous experience with this heart-breaking show, I think there's a chance that either Gugu or Rean - or both - die next time.

1) They're both kids

2) I like both characters

Yep, that pretty much seems like a recipe for death.
ACxS

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ AC x S: How about Omni and the Enemy? Wink

Omni-Man and Invincib-, wait wrong show.

It just occurred to me that this might be a possibility:
spoiler[what if the enemy was indeed created by the Omnipotent Himself? Why? Because it's supposed to spur Fushi into learning the important things in his journey of being human.]
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm definitely on the side of those who say they couldn't possibly care less about Omni and Inmo. I found the story plenty compelling without any framing devices or motivations, and they really only serve to distract from the show's strengths.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:18 am Reply with quote
I super disagree. Fushi's immortality and ability to turn into other things is a very important element of the show. Sure, you could have intro'd Omni as the reason for these powers and then ignored Him, but I would have considered that lame. Also, the Enemy is the only entity that can actually potentially destroy Fushi so it raises the stakes. It will be lame if they just have the same type of battle each time but I'm anticipating that the Enemy will come up with new strategies.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6