• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: GKIDS Licenses Hayao Miyazaki's Future Boy Conan Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:08 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
But I have to wonder what convinced them to give it a new English dub, as most companies don't bother to do that nowadays for anything really old.

This dub may not even be their work since there was news of it being made months ago and involving the J-LOD.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:14 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
FireChick wrote:
But I have to wonder what convinced them to give it a new English dub, as most companies don't bother to do that nowadays for anything really old.

This dub may not even be their work since there was news of it being made months ago and involving the J-LOD.

Ah. Here's hoping the dub is actually good then.
Dynamic A

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:28 pm Reply with quote
EXTREMELY surprised and happy at this news... really never thought I'd see the day.

-DA
Zeino

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Spectacular, now you really can own all of Miyazaki's works. And it will make a nice companion to the Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken bluray too!
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Hot damn. This is by far the oldest anime on even the most expansive versions of my to-watch list, and has been since I added it... I dunno, a decade ago?
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Is this the longest time that a Anime has taken to receive an English dub
FireChick wrote:
Ah. Here's hoping the dub is actually good then.
What are their dubs like?

Last edited by MarshalBanana on Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Mamo,: Um, if it got licensed, then the estate is getting paid. As for me, I saw it all fansu bed twenty some years ago, and found it boring. But for the sake of supporting anime legslly, I'd buy it, if I wasn't broke. Anyway, you might notice Toriyama lifted stuff from Conan for DQ VII.
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:34 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Mamo,: Um, if it got licensed, then the estate is getting paid. As for me, I saw it all fansu bed twenty some years ago, and found it boring. But for the sake of supporting anime legslly, I'd buy it, if I wasn't broke. Anyway, you might notice Toriyama lifted stuff from Conan for DQ VII.

Boring, really? Except some episode I've always thought it was a great adventure series...only some episode were really boring, but the rest is great, even nowadays.
FranceHopper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully their 4K release isn’t cropped to full screen like the Lupin re-release looks to be.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:31 pm Reply with quote
More fantastic news! I have been meaning to watch this classic for a while but never got around to it. I look forward to this release.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Wow. I thought this had been in rights hell due to resistance from Alexander Key's estate. From Wikipedia:

Quote:
In 1978, a video tape from NHK with early animation of the still-in-production film was sent to the Alexander Key family as a courtesy. Alexander Key hated how Hayao Miyazaki changed his story and told his estate to never allow the anime to come over to North America.

14 years later in 1992, Streamline Pictures licensed the anime along with Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water from NHK. Streamline Pictures dubbed the film compilations of the series Future Boy Conan (1979) and Future Boy Conan: The Big Giant Robot's Resurrection (1984) for Japan Airlines. Streamline was planning to release the two film in North America on VHS, but the estate of Alexander Key became aware. The Key estate issued a cease and desist letter, threatening a lawsuit if Future Boy Conan ever got a US release. This resulted in Streamline Pictures giving the rights back to NHK. As of 2021, the show and the film compilations still had not been released to the US market.

Hopefully this means that Alexander Key's estate has relented? If not... then they almost certainly will be objecting.

(For those wondering, Alexander Key died in 1979, so under current US Copyright law his works won't be entering the Public Domain until 2050.)

GATSU wrote:
Mamo,: Um, if it got licensed, then the estate is getting paid.

I hope they have reached some kind of accommodation. Because otherwise, Key's estate will knock this down as fast as their lawyers can whip out a Cease and Desist letter.

It wouldn't be the first time someone in Japan tried to sell overseas rights to an anime without checking to see if the rights were completely clear.

Last edited by DeTroyes on Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Never_Know_Best

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Great! Anne and Heidi are next, right?
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Let’s go for broke - Marco!
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I hope they have reached some kind of accommodation. Because otherwise, Key's estate will knock this down as fast as their lawyers can whip out a Cease and Desist letter.

It wouldn't be the first time someone in Japan tried to sell overseas rights to an anime without checking to see if the rights were completely clear.

I highly doubt that GKids is the kind of company that would do something like that. I mean, for all we know, they're probably at this moment still trying to get the rights to Fly Me To The Moon for their Evangelion release. I'm pretty sure if they did try to release a show without getting clearance from someone else, they'd get in huge trouble.
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:54 pm Reply with quote
DeTroyes wrote:
Wow. I thought this had been in rights hell due to resistance from Alexander Key's estate. From Wikipedia:

Quote:
In 1978, a video tape from NHK with early animation of the still-in-production film was sent to the Alexander Key family as a courtesy. Alexander Key hated how Hayao Miyazaki changed his story and told his estate to never allow the anime to come over to North America.

14 years later in 1992, Streamline Pictures licensed the anime along with Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water from NHK. Streamline Pictures dubbed the film compilations of the series Future Boy Conan (1979) and Future Boy Conan: The Big Giant Robot's Resurrection (1984) for Japan Airlines. Streamline was planning to release the two film in North America on VHS, but the estate of Alexander Key became aware. The Key estate issued a cease and desist letter, threatening a lawsuit if Future Boy Conan ever got a US release. This resulted in Streamline Pictures giving the rights back to NHK. As of 2021, the show and the film compilations still had not been released to the US market.

Hopefully this means that Alexander Key's estate has relented? If not... then they almost certainly will be objecting.

What an ass...I haven't read Alexander Key's novel, but the anime was good enough for me. There are many authors that didn't like the movie adaptations of their books, but nobody ever opposed this strongly...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4