• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sword Art Online Progressive Anime Film Posts English-Subtitled 3rd Teaser, Game World Charact

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Touma55 wrote:
Obviously cuts need to be made, but cutting important things should not be done which they do. There are also small cuts made that can make a big difference as well, so not everything is a massive speech that can't be fit in like you are referring to. Replacing things with worthless content like I mentioned should also not be done. The Sinon example I gave is honestly perfect because cutting it saved no time at all, but they did it and replaced it with fanservice.

If you're referring to the GGO arc scene then I can't comment further on that because - as I mentioned before - that's one of the few novels that I never got around to reading.

Quote:
I also don't intend to single out A1 at all because LN adaptions being poorly handled is a common thing, but I am absolutely going to say A1 did a poor job when they don't handle things well. They don't get forgiven for doing a poor job just because other studios do a poor job with some of their stuff as well.

Guess we're going to agree to disagree, then, because we apparently have wholly different conceptions of what constitutes a "poor adaptation job." As a major SAO fan since the beginning, the anime adaptations have been done well enough to satisfy me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
YesNoMaybe
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:49 pm Reply with quote
@ MFrontier

Thanks for come back; I guess I am more use to the TV series version than the movie version of her.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I've always argued against these complaints. Any LN adaptation is going to cut out some stuff (sometimes for practical reasons involved with the adaptation, other times to correct inefficiencies in the original writing), and SAO's adaptations have cut out less than most. I never read the source books for Fairy Dance and GGO, but the Aincard, Calibur, and Mother's Rosary arcs were all quite faithful to the novels, and Alicization didn't skip much; yes, there was one entire chapter early in the Alicization arc which got eliminated, but that was the only major omission that I can think of, and that ultimately didn't significantly impact the story.

I'm with you on this. I've read all of the SAO LNs up through 3/4 of Alicization, and I think they did a great job.

LN adaptations need to cut things. I don't want to watch an audio book. I want something that flows as an anime.
Gamen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Mushoku Tensei also did OK as an adaptation thanks to Kyon narrating. It was enough to get me to watch an anime for the first time in years. But it was only OK.

If we're very lucky, Mito is some sort of vehicle to reintroduce the worldbuilding and character exposition that was inevitably cut back into the story in a way appropriate to the medium.

Because while you do have to cut out excessive exposition lest you get a talking head show (no slight against the Talking Heads) like Mahouka or Bakemonogatari where the graphic designer puts in more work than the animators (only mostly hyperbole), you do have to replace any of it that supported the story with something appropriate to the anime medium.

....not that I know what that would look like, since I have no memory of ever having seen an excellent adaptation...
Touma55

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Touma55 wrote:
Obviously cuts need to be made, but cutting important things should not be done which they do. There are also small cuts made that can make a big difference as well, so not everything is a massive speech that can't be fit in like you are referring to. Replacing things with worthless content like I mentioned should also not be done. The Sinon example I gave is honestly perfect because cutting it saved no time at all, but they did it and replaced it with fanservice.

If you're referring to the GGO arc scene then I can't comment further on that because - as I mentioned before - that's one of the few novels that I never got around to reading.

Quote:
I also don't intend to single out A1 at all because LN adaptions being poorly handled is a common thing, but I am absolutely going to say A1 did a poor job when they don't handle things well. They don't get forgiven for doing a poor job just because other studios do a poor job with some of their stuff as well.

Guess we're going to agree to disagree, then, because we apparently have wholly different conceptions of what constitutes a "poor adaptation job." As a major SAO fan since the beginning, the anime adaptations have been done well enough to satisfy me.

Don't get me wrong I don't think the anime adaption for SAO is horrible. Believe me I know what it's like when an adaption of a series fails whether that be LN or manga. Tokyo Ghoul is a series I love and the adaption for that was god awful. I don't think the adaption of SAO is on the level of something like that, but cutting out important stuff about a main character or changing the backstory of a major villain for seemingly no reason is not something I'm going to praise. And while yes some things do need to be cut to stop the anime from moving at a snails pace, based on the amount of people I have seen confused about the actions of characters and things like Incarnation thanks to some of the cuts that were made I think they overdid it and can only describe the adaption as somewhat lacking at best.
Xavon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Okay. So now we have Illfang. Which means this covers entire the first floor.

Where is Argo? She played a pretty big role, and she and Asuna had the great offscreen fanservice scene that drove poor Kirito nuts.

Is cactus-jerk's plot (literal and literary) going to be cut (since Argo was also part of that?

I have increasingly serious doubts about this 'adaptation'.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2