• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokémon TV Anime Brings Back Cynthia After 9 Years

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KefkaesqueXIII

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:
ZelosZoidberg wrote:
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
Psajdak wrote:
I wonder oif they will ever bring back Porygon.

He's on the list of banned Pokemon along with Yungerer/Kadabra and Rougela/Jynx. They're never going to pop up in the anime ever again.
Why is Kadabra banned? I understand the other 2 buy why him/her/them?

https://www.pokemon.com/br/pokedex/porygon
Is this "banned"?
Why?

During the 1st season of the Pokémon anime, there was an episode that centered around Porygon, with Ash and co. going inside the digital world Tron-style to help Porygon fix a computer issue. During the climax of that episode, Pikachu zaps a digital anti-virus missile and the resulting explosion was animated with a flashing red/blue strobe that triggered seizures across Japan.

The incident made international headlines, and needless to say there was some significant fallout within Japan including new regulations on the use of that kind of effect in animation. The episode itself has never been rebroadcast, even in an edited form.

The Porygon line has never really been seen in the anime since, and it's believed this incident is why (despite, as mentioned, poor Porygon not having actually been responsible for anything)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2