• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Voice Actor Chris Ayres Passes Away

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aresef

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:16 am Reply with quote
This is a gut punch. I’ll always remember his kindness and relentless positivity.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:36 am Reply with quote
In my days of staffing and attending cons frequently, Chris had [a reputation as a guest for being friendly, kind and easy to work with.] I tended to agree with that assessment even though I prefer watching subtitled anime.

Hearing this news was really a shock to me. His reputation I mentioned stuck with me so its just really sad to hear.

[EDIT: Let's not use this memorial thread to disparage others. ~Zalis]
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:13 am Reply with quote
This socks. I liked his work and learned how the dubbing process worked from attending his panels about directing. I liked his acting, but would be genuinely pleased when the credits showed him as the ADR director.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:23 am Reply with quote
I remember reading about his health problems and that he was still recovering, but now reading this...it hurts.

I didn't know Mr. Ayres on a personal level like other VA's did but it seems like he was a really kind, generous, and stellar guy who loved and cherished his family and Krystal LaPorte. As a fan I can say I was always immersed in and enjoyed his work both as a VA and as an ADR director.

RIP Mr. Ayres. Thank you for your contributions as a person and in the world of anime. My prayers go out to his family and to Krystal.
KaidoYuji8Shinji

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:10 am Reply with quote
Heartbroken to hear this. Chris was an amazing guy and VA. No one will ever be a better Frieza! You will be missed Chris
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:37 am Reply with quote
My condolences to his loved ones. Rest in peace. Thank you for all the magic. You will be missed.
IMJinnie
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:20 am Reply with quote
If anyone wants to and can help, I confirmed with Krystal this morning that they're going to keep the GFM up a little longer to help with final costs like cremation.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/chris-ayres-medical-relief-fund?fbclid=IwAR2xvzS-xu5rh9m8z9fwq6n_jmCHiPi8FfHAPlgeUDi9tyvSMBUAhySvSiM
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:50 pm Reply with quote
3ngag3 wrote:
It's really hard to imagine anyone else other than Ayres doing the voice of Frieza. It was just perfect. Rest In Peace.

Daman Mills had been filling for him when he was too sick for some occasions like the Tournament of Power arc in Super's Toonami airings(and then they brought Ayres back to re-record those parts for the BD releases)and for FighterZ and Kakarot video games.He did a pretty spot on job,so they will probably keep him as the default voice for Frieza from now on.
This whole news was sad,I thought he was actually recovering well...
Z-Nitro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:56 pm Reply with quote
3ngag3 wrote:
It's really hard to imagine anyone else other than Ayres doing the voice of Frieza. It was just perfect. Rest In Peace.

To be honest, Daman Mills has done a wonderful job as Frieza whenever Chris was unable to perform. A lot of the time, you wouldn't even notice it was Daman's voice instead of Chris.

With that said, Chris will alway be the perfect Frieza to me, his performance through Kai, Ressurection F, most of Super (when he was able to dub), and especially the recent Broly movie shows how natural and organic he was to the role.

I haven't met him personally, but the many stories of him from fans and fellow voice actors are proof enough that he was an amazing person taken too soon from this world.

Absolute legend to the end, RIP Chris.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:57 pm Reply with quote
A irreplaceable gem in the dubbing medium always hoped that he would find his way back to the ADR Director's chair one day alas it wasn't meant to be loved the man's voice,vocal range, acting and his voice directing total legitimate talent may you experience all the universal joys where ever you find yourself Chris.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:18 pm Reply with quote
This one hit me quite a bit. From various updates I honestly believed he could make it as he seemed content... I had hope for him.

He will not be forgotten for his awesome performances. I recently rewatched Dragon Ball Super and it felt like he was born for the role of Frieza. RIP.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:25 pm Reply with quote
I once said in a review that Chris's rendition of Freiza is one of the all-time-great villain performances for English dubs of anime, and I still stand by that. He will be missed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Seeing all the love for Chris on Twitter yesterday really humbled me. I never got to meet him but I could tell from afar he was a very positive and kind guy. He kept fighting until the end and sometimes that’s all you can do.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:28 pm Reply with quote
One of my favorite convention memories was being at Ikkicon in Austin and just leaning against the wall with not a real clue of what to do when Chris walks up next to me and says "Hey, you should come with me."
At the time I didn't know who he was other than a guest but I walked into the room that only had a dozen or so other people and Chris and Greg both introduced themselves and said they had a real treat, where they showed (and gave live commentary) the first and 7th episode of Nerima Daikon Brothers, and to that small crowd they shared all sorts of random things about the making of that show, like how the original script writer(s) just directly translated the songs from Japanese to English without any care for how they went together when sung or just had really corny jokes instead, so most of the songs were rescripted by some combination of Chris and Greg. To this day it remains my favorite English dub comedy, because it goes way, way beyond the original Japanese version which just repeats the same lyrics for some songs over and over (the money song and rental song particularly) whereas each episode has its own flavor for those songs in the English version.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:34 pm Reply with quote
My thoughts and prayers go to his family, especially his brother Greg. This especially hit close to home to me, as my grandmother died of end stage COPD in 2019 in addition to end stage kidney failure. COPD is awful.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3